Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,891,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Actually - not. The gap is $50.

$450x52=$23,400/12 = $1950/mo.

$50 plus taxes and COBRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,130,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Buy a bus pass, and leave your cat at home. Only drive if you have an interview, or buying a lot of groceries.
I meant car. Also, start walking places.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 PM

25,590 posts, read 56,250,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
$50 plus taxes and COBRA.
Pfffft. There is a way to manage without health insurance. He can buy a cheap catastrophic policy if he really feels vulnerable, visit emergency clinics and pay cash for small things. Many, many people do, per reports on this board. He can worry about his taxes in April 2014. By then he may have a job. File his return next April (or later). If he owes anything, pay on installments. $$ owed won't amount to much anyway. Better than prepaying now when he needs to the money to keep a roof over his head and continue to look for work.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Pfffft. There is a way to manage without health insurance. He can buy a cheap catastrophic policy if he really feels vulnerable, visit emergency clinics and pay cash for small things. Many, many people do, per reports on this board. He can worry about his taxes in April 2014. By then he may have a job. File his return next April (or later). If he owes anything, pay on installments. $$ owed won't amount to much anyway. Better than prepaying now when he needs to the money to keep a roof over his head and continue to look for work.

Cheap insur plus 50 = $200 gap.

No one suggested the roof go, but rather the wants. Needs are just food, clothing, shelter.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:15 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,130,811 times
There are low income clinics that go on an income sliding scale. I just paid $35 for an office visit to have wax cleaned out of my ear.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 PM

He probably won't buy insurance. Many young people take the risk short-term.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Cheap insur plus 50 = $200 gap.

No one suggested the roof go, but rather the wants. Needs are just food, clothing, shelter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There are low income clinics that go on an income sliding scale. I just paid $35 for an office visit to have wax cleaned out of my ear.
That's right. Many healthy young people opt to take the risk of no insurance for a while. I have twice in my life gone without health insurance for very short periods. My biggest problem was always dental expense. That's what I needed employer health insurance for - more so than medical. Although, when I was 67 I did have eye surgery under employer insurance. I'm assuming OP is still pretty young. Plenty of people on this board - much older than OP - with no health insurance, anymore. They can't afford it.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 PM

537 posts, read 1,233,821 times
I've almost been laid off quite a few times, so here are some tips that I live by in order to save extra costs:

-Use a prepaid phone. I have a decent smartphone from Virgin Mobile that has unlimited data. This is $35.00 a month and worth it.
-With the prepaid phone, I no longer need internet since I can use it to check e-mails. If necessary, I can use the internet on my laptop by tethering the phone.
-I don't use cable or netflix.
-This is a little crazy, but I sold my car to save more money. I am never holed up at home, although sometimes I do get lazy. I understand that this is difficult for people who don't live in areas with good public transportation. However, if you're falling on hard times... it's a necessary evil. And actually for me, it ended up being the best decision of my life.
-SELL STUFF. You'd be surprised what you can sell on eBay or even Craigslist for a good deal of money.
-Home cooking... cook whole chickens, use the drippings for gravy, and the bones for a stock. Have a grocery list on hand for essentials. You can still eat healthy on a strict budget
-Make your own cleaning supplies, including laundry detergent, use baking soda and vinegar for household cleaning
-If you live in an apartment without your own laundry, start washing your laundry by hand. You don't save much, but it actually makes a difference... and it's kind of fun.

I went from spending roughly $2000.00 a month on all of my expenses to $1200.00 a month. I live on my own, and I'm able to put the rest away in savings. Most of this is due to not owning a car, but there are so many ways to save money when you're on a very strict budget.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I've almost been laid off quite a few times, so here are some tips that I live by in order to save extra costs:

-Use a prepaid phone. I have a decent smartphone from Virgin Mobile that has unlimited data. This is $35.00 a month and worth it.
-With the prepaid phone, I no longer need internet since I can use it to check e-mails. If necessary, I can use the internet on my laptop by tethering the phone.
-I don't use cable or netflix.
-This is a little crazy, but I sold my car to save more money. I am never holed up at home, although sometimes I do get lazy. I understand that this is difficult for people who don't live in areas with good public transportation. However, if you're falling on hard times... it's a necessary evil. And actually for me, it ended up being the best decision of my life.
-SELL STUFF. You'd be surprised what you can sell on eBay or even Craigslist for a good deal of money.
-Home cooking... cook whole chickens, use the drippings for gravy, and the bones for a stock. Have a grocery list on hand for essentials. You can still eat healthy on a strict budget
-Make your own cleaning supplies, including laundry detergent, use baking soda and vinegar for household cleaning
-If you live in an apartment without your own laundry, start washing your laundry by hand. You don't save much, but it actually makes a difference... and it's kind of fun.

I went from spending roughly $2000.00 a month on all of my expenses to $1200.00 a month. I live on my own, and I'm able to put the rest away in savings. Most of this is due to not owning a car, but there are so many ways to save money when you're on a very strict budget.
That is tremendous.a 40% cut in expenses.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Companies want their money. Some will work with you although don't expect them to show too much concern over your financial situation.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment