Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,265 times

Advertisements

I never filed unemployment claim before. Hope any one with expertise can help. Thanks in advance. I live in NJ. I worked in PA for 2 years and changed my job to a company in NJ early this year. I was laid off recently. Do I qualify for unemployment benefit? If yes, which state to file unemployment claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
You qualify for unemployment. Since you were laid off by a NJ employer, file in NJ first. If your claim qualifies for federal EUC, since you worked last in NJ, the only way you will keep EUC on this claim is if your original claim is in NJ.

If NJ refuses your application, then file in PA. Know that because your NJ earnings will create a new state requalifying NJ claim when it is time to transition to EUC, the PA EUC will not be available. Even if PA does mistakenly pay you EUC as often happens, it will want it back later because of the NJ earnings.

So, try for NJ first.

Here's a thread on the problems you might encounter with a PA claim - posts #41, #42.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post29404389

We have many other similar reports on EUC problems of this type.

Good luck. Hopefully, you will find new permanent employment and not get to the EUC stage.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,265 times
Ariadne22, thanks for your response as well as your kind words. Seems my case is a bit complex. It is difficult to get through the phone. I guess many people are calling. On the web, NJ requires that the job in the past 18 months is done in NJ. PA also has similar requirement, plus I am not laid off in PA. Any one had similar situation before?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
That statement on the website is not gospel.

We just had a report from a NJ claimant who did not have 18 months employment in NJ and received benefits from NJ. First quarter of her base-year she worked in FL. NJ opened the claim anyway without the FL earnings and paid state benefits on that claim. When she realized she didn't qualify for EUC, she went back to NJ to include the FL earnings so she could receive federal benefits. She just had her monetary interview for the purpsoe of recalculating this claim.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post29008109

Have you applied in NJ, as yet? If not, get the ball rolling - file a claim with NJ online or go to one of their offices. PA will ask you to do that, anyway, because the NJ employer is the employer which laid you off.

If you get a denial from NJ, then go back to PA with that denial. You are entitled to benefits. You just need to be very proactive in getting this claim established.

Also, fyi, interstate or combined claims in your area are very common. You might even qualify for commuter status as a NJ claimant. There are many nuances to unemployment benefits.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-07-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment