Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:58 PM

13 posts, read 21,612 times

Advertisements

I was hoping to recieve some tips for my appeals hearing, it is this wednesday. Here are all the details. I did resign from my job. I was denied unemployment benifits because I did not have a good enough reason for leaving the job. I have never filed for unemployment before and I wasnt exactly sure how all this worked. In my original claim I put I resigned due to person medical condition, that i was experiencing severe depression and financial issues, I left it at that. I applied the disqualification and my appeal is wednesday. My plan is to explain to UI that wasnt sure how to go about all this and my original reason for quiting my job was not the depression, yes the depression is true, but here is the one and only main reason why I had to resign. I had been in a relationship for the past two years with the same man, No family or friends here in north carolina, just him and I. The past couple months he started to become very verbally abusive. thats where the depression came in. Then, on the day I ended up resigning, before work that morning he started calling me names and told me he met someone else and I needed to get my "****" out. I went to work that morning and ended up leaving after two hours, I got physically ill and just broke down, I asked for a few days off and they gave me the rest of tuesday weds and thurs. I wanted to see if I could work it out with my BF, that didnt happen and the situation got scary. I had no friends to stay at and I couldnt afford a place of my own, he paid the rent. So I had no other choice but to call my manger on friday and told her I wont be back I am sorry. She asked me to write a resignation letter to her. I sent the letter out sat am to the physicains offce i worked at with Attention: my managers name. the letter simply said I am giving my resignation. Due to financial issues I need to relocate. I saw in a couple letters my employer is stating they never recieved the letter, but I abbsolutly mailed it out. I used to get the mail at that job... Im guessing it got tossed ( we get a lot of junk mail for the doctors.) or was put in the wrong mail slot or simply missplaced. Our office manager is known for that. She manages 3 other physicians offices and was in our clinic maybe once a week for an hr or two. ( not much of a manager either.)

All that is 100% true and I would like to hear what you think and if you have any tips?
my hearing is a telephone one. I am now in Florida. After leaving him and the toxic relationship I had no place to live and had no other choice but to move back in with my parents in florida where they live.

I really need this UI I havnt been able to find work and Id really love to start my life again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Default unemployment Tips

Unemployment Tips NC
I was hoping to recieve some tips for my appeals hearing, it is this wednesday. Here are all the details. I did resign from my job. I was denied unemployment benifits because I did not have a good enough reason for leaving the job. I have never filed for unemployment before and I wasnt exactly sure how all this worked. In my original claim I put I resigned due to person medical condition, that i was experiencing severe depression and financial issues, I left it at that. I applied the disqualification and my appeal is wednesday. My plan is to explain to UI that wasnt sure how to go about all this and my original reason for quiting my job was not the depression, yes the depression is true, but here is the one and only main reason why I had to resign. I had been in a relationship for the past two years with the same man, No family or friends here in north carolina, just him and I. The past couple months he started to become very verbally abusive. thats where the depression came in. Then, on the day I ended up resigning, before work that morning he started calling me names and told me he met someone else and I needed to get my "****" out. I went to work that morning and ended up leaving after two hours, I got physically ill and just broke down, I asked for a few days off and they gave me the rest of tuesday weds and thurs. I wanted to see if I could work it out with my BF, that didnt happen and the situation got scary. I had no friends to stay at and I couldnt afford a place of my own, he paid the rent. So I had no other choice but to call my manger on friday and told her I wont be back I am sorry. She asked me to write a resignation letter to her. I sent the letter out sat am to the physicains offce i worked at with Attention: my managers name. the letter simply said I am giving my resignation. Due to financial issues I need to relocate.

All that is 100% true and I would like to hear what you think and if you have any tips?
my hearing is a telephone one. I am now in Florida. After leaving him and the toxic relationship I had no place to live and had no other choice but to move back in with my parents in florida where they live.

I really need this UI I havnt been able to find work and Id really love to start my life again

Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
If this post is real you will not win. You resigned from your job and left the state.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Plain and simple, UI is only granted if you were laid off or fired for non disciplinary reasons.. If you quit for any reason, you won't get UI. Especially what you described, that's a personal reason. I hope you find something else quick.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Hi. I'm sorry to hear what happened. I got unemployment before (n.j.). It was easy for me because I legit got laid off (by my father) and he made sure I got it. I think you should talk to your former employer. You would have had to been there such n such amount of weeks. After I got laid off, I went to the state website where you fill out the application and after several days got paid from the date I filed. You probably already know this.

I say try again if you can get the paper telling you were laid off. It might be an advantage that your resignation letter was never received. Don't let haters discourage you. Yeah its all of our tax money, the billions spent on killing people abroad is also all of our tax money. Atleast this money will go for an American. Again I hope you recover from that toxic relationship. You have to move on by putting that behind you and steering forward. I've been an ******* to a girl I loved and didn't even realize it, now maybe he truly was an ******* or maybe he was under stress. You deserve better either way.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:59 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Plain and simple, UI is only granted if you were laid off or fired for non disciplinary reasons.. If you quit for any reason, you won't get UI. Especially what you described, that's a personal reason. I hope you find something else quick.
Plain and simple that is not true. This is a state of laws. Quote the law that backs up what you are saying.

That doesn't mean there's much chance of success in this particular case, but saying ONLY if LAID OFF or FIRED is not true. The law reads no such way.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
Start here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...47244034,d.aWM

Look through all the cases, find a winner, and make your facts fit the decision.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Hi. I'm sorry to hear what happened. I got unemployment before (n.j.). It was easy for me because I legit got laid off (by my father) and he made sure I got it. I think you should talk to your former employer. You would have had to been there such n such amount of weeks. After I got laid off, I went to the state website where you fill out the application and after several days got paid from the date I filed. You probably already know this.

I say try again if you can get the paper telling you were laid off. It might be an advantage that your resignation letter was never received. Don't let haters discourage you. Yeah its all of our tax money, the billions spent on killing people abroad is also all of our tax money. Atleast this money will go for an American. Again I hope you recover from that toxic relationship. You have to move on by putting that behind you and steering forward. I've been an ******* to a girl I loved and didn't even realize it, now maybe he truly was an ******* or maybe he was under stress. You deserve better either way.
Unfortunately, it's 99% chance too late. When someone is at the appeal point it means the employer has already told the ESC that they dispute what the employee states and that they feel they shouldn't have to pay. Now the employer is willing to take time off for a hearing in order to fight further. The chances are that within two days they are going to reverse course when the ex-employee is out of town is unlikely.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Loss of housing through no fault of your own is good cause for a quit in some states - California, NY, and some others. No clue if NC would view this as good cause.

Medical issues can be good cause in some states, provided you are now able and available to work. However, your medical issues were not ongoing, but came on suddenly due to personal stress.

At the moment you've got conflicting stories. Medical/financial/loss of housing.

Chyvan has given you a list of Precedent Decisions to review. Once you've found one that fits, come back to discuss it further. Chyvan might be willing to provide further guidance.

NC is instituting extreme cuts to its UE program beginning July 1. I view NC as hostile to the unemployed. That said, you might still win benefits if your case is presented properly.

Please report back with an update. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 PM

Wonderful news about NC and the cuts! ( joking) I know it looks bad that there are a few stories but let me explain to you and maybe you may have some suggestions so my testimony doesnt sound so confusing.

I filed my original claim during a weekend of hel* pretty much. I was extremly depressed. I was very verbally abused and in a very toxic relationship that i feared would soon go physical. Im 26 and going to have to live with my parents again till i can get my feet on the ground. So when I filed my original claim I was focused mainly on the depression,

But my main reason I had to leave my job was to get out of the domestically abusive relationship. I have no family for friends here. I moved here ( north carolina ) for him. I did not have enough funds to get my own place on my own. I had no choice but to move back home in with my parents in florida.

I would have never left my job if I had a place to live, and i would have a place to live if my relationship hadnt become more and more abusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment