Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,467,852 times

Advertisements

WA does have an allowance for people who quit because of illness. See page 14:

http://www.esd.wa.gov/uibenefits/for...s.pdf#zoom=100

It's a bit more clear-cut when the person who is sick is the worker and not the worker's family.

Also, the doctor has the last word on what a person's abilities are and whether or not a separation due to medical reasons is necessary. That's why doctor's notes are so important. They are acting as medical authorities. An employer can do whatever they want with that information, but if a separation (whether a quit or a discharge) happens on a doctor's advice due to medical necessity, that's generally allowed in WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 03:48 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,723,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
WA does have an allowance for people who quit because of illness. See page 14:

http://www.esd.wa.gov/uibenefits/for...s.pdf#zoom=100

It's a bit more clear-cut when the person who is sick is the worker and not the worker's family.

Also, the doctor has the last word on what a person's abilities are and whether or not a separation due to medical reasons is necessary. That's why doctor's notes are so important. They are acting as medical authorities. An employer can do whatever they want with that information, but if a separation (whether a quit or a discharge) happens on a doctor's advice due to medical necessity, that's generally allowed in WA.

I'll save this so as to help others if they need such. Thank you very much for the info. It looks very good they'll agree to the quit. Am prepared for the interview if they need it.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Whoops, I jumped the gun today. I got a questionnaire from UI asking abut my leaving my last employer. Today I received (What I thought) was the same thing. After filling it out, I took it to the local employment office and THEN noticed it was for the employer who got me hired by the company I had quit from recently. (Was temping then got hired)

I spoke with a UI "Guru" (They're NOT UI really, but they understand most of the workings of UI) and they simply had me include a letter detailing my mistake and the basics (I was hired by the company from a temp service) and that "Should" be enough for the UI folks in Spokane.

As usual, they did say "If they want more info, they'll call you"

I really have to remember to read everything I get from UI s..l..o..w..l..y...

Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 PM

Got off the phone with UI today. everything looks to be OK EXCEPT they do want a "Formal" declaration from the doctor regarding my work ability. So they are sending a form for him to fill out and I'll fax it back to them.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Form recieved yesterday, got lucky and got to see doctor today. We didn't "Fully" agree as to him telling me to quit, but he did write on the form that had I continued working there, I'd suffer more damage.

Plus, he also stated several times on the document I could work, but not in my previous field. So, I am guessing that if they agree, funds will be released Friday. I'll just continue looking for work and wait to see.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 AM

I haven't received any information from UI as of yet. However, I do know they will NOT respond quickly and if the paperwork says "It must be here by XX date" then you can be assured that you can have it in the week before and they will NOT act on it till that date comes up.

Today is the day it was due, so I am hoping for an answer by tomorrow and I check my bank or the reporting place (Online) to see if I have been denied...Or approved.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,587,174 times
You can expect a 4-5 week wait time on a decision from WA ESD. I hope you aren't holding your breath waiting on a check.

I've already went back to work since I filed 2 weeks ago for my partial week claim and it's a good thing because I haven't heard a thing or received a nickel since I sent the paperwork back.

I feel bad for the week to week folks who have to wait this long...

Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Yes Kees seems you may be right. Luckily for me, I had my paycheck and some financial backup. I applied 05/28/13 and got this decision in the mail today. It's 1 of the 2 decisions they have to make.

For the "Quit" that I did when going from temp agency to perm company, they called that a "Good" quit. They said that "If otherwise eligible" I should get benefits.

As far as my quit for medical....That I have yet to hear about....So more waiting.

Last edited by Disgustedman; 06-24-2013 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Updating this all from earlier.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM

New update. There's a place I do the weekly report of job searching. They have messages for the claimant there. Now mine reads "There's a question of your availability for work" Seems they looked at the form and the doctor said I was not released for work (Meaning my old job) and released for light duty work....So more fun and games..

Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 AM

14,500 posts, read 30,925,210 times
That's actually a good sign. Whenever they take your medical issue seriously enough for a quit, the next step is to determine that you're not too sick to do any work.

Had they concluded that your medical was without good cause, they'd have stopped, denied you, and gone no further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment