U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,096 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this is an ignorant question or if it's been asked on this forum already, but I couldn't find the answer on the Department of Labor website and I could really use some help.

I recently received a form that stated that I was eligible for emergency benefits, and that I would have to keep a log of at least three different employer contacts each week. My question is, would that be strictly in-person contacts or would online applications also be viable? I asked at my local unemployment branch and they said no, but there is a form on the website strictly stating that online applications are an option. Who's correct?

Can anyone help me out in this matter? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 PM

18 posts, read 121,242 times
I would assume on-line applications would be fine. In fact, many companies ONLY accept on-line applications. The company I am currently working for (laid off/last day June 28th) is that way. We have not offered paper application for many years now.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 PM

23,193 posts, read 49,237,787 times
Yes, Ranger05 is correct.

OP, about the ONLY way to apply for a job these days is online. Whoever at NJ told you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Of course, you can reply to newspaper ads and visit employers personally. Most people don't personally visit employers anymore because they can't even get past the security guard to get on an elevator, but this can vary depending on what line of work you are in and the size of the employer.

Online applications are fine. Often you won't have a contact name. Just complete the information on these contacts as best you can with the data available to you. Keep good, detailed logs. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment