Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 AM

3 posts, read 22,363 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I originally filed my regular original claim for unemployment on 7/31/12. From January to April I worked three months, in which there was a break in my claim. I went back on regular unemployment on april 8, 2013. Towards the end of april (april 22-24) I worked for a temp agency on an assignment for three days. Once the assignment ended I went back on regular unemployment, received another break in claim form filled it out sent it back with no problems and continued collecting regular unemployment. now my regular unemployment (26) weeks has ended. I received a message on my payment history as folllows:

If you are eligible for additional benefits under a new extension program, the remaining balance amount will be adjusted the next time you claim benefits. you do not have to file a new unemployment claim unless the system advises you to.

I knew last week that my regular unemployment would run out so I called unemployment and the person on the phone said I would be good until december 22, 2013 and he also said whether I had to file a new claim or continue collecting unemployment under the extension that everything would be fine.

I certified for benefits tonite and the only information I had was my weekly benefit amount (which is still the same as my original claim) and just the maximum amount payable (from my original regular claim) I DID NOT see a remaining balance and I am freaking out. Does it take a day or two to readjust??? The message I wrote above said "the next time you claim benefits" it would be readjusted meaning after I certified/claimed. Please help. Any info on how extentions work would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM

25,594 posts, read 56,279,063 times
For now, it appears the computers have not yet caught up with your processing.

Can you please report back when you this matter is resolved?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 AM

Hi, by the way I think I saw some of your posts as well and they were very helpful! Thanks! I went to the facebook page for the department of labor and I think I may have found my answer but the system still did not update (as you mentioned, the computer probably didnt process yet). After the federal budget cuts extended benefits for new york state have been reduced and according to a rep on the dept. of labor facebook page site, as of april 2013 you no longer see your remaining balance once you exhaust your regular 26 week unemployment benefits. I hope this helps other people as well because I was pretty scared and I'm sure others out there are too! I don't know for sure. It is 255am sunday (monday morning) and I keep checking every hour or so to see if the system updated since technically it is monday. I will post in a few hours with an official answer but I think it will be fine. Someone else made a similar post on facebook with the same concern as me and it seems like everything worked out for her.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 AM

FINALLY.....I can sleep.

To Whoever read my posts and may have a similar situation in the future, you can be at ease...

My last week of regular unemployment (26 weeks) exhausted last week. I got a message in the system in payment history that if eligible the REMAINING BALANCE would be adjusted RIGHT AFTER I certified for that week (meaning the following week (this week) that I certified for emergency unemployment. First of all, they made it seem that it would adjust after certifiying (sunday) andyou can inquire about payment information....wrong! You have to wait until Monday for it to update. Second of all, after the federal budget cuts, you no longer see your remaining balance. What gets adjusted it the MAXIMUM AMOUT PAYABLE and anything about remainiing balance goes off the payment history page. This is for emergency benefits, which you receive after you exhaust your 26 weeks of regular unemployment in new york state. I know it seems silly but people rely on unemployment, even though it is not much. I have CONSTANTLY been looking for work and that little extra money i get from unemployment does help. How am I going to get to job interviews if I have no money? Like I said it is a big help so therefore, that is why I am paranoid. Also, I do have a son and have to pay for daycare while I go on interviews. Hope I helped whoever had the same concerns and if I can of help to anyone please let me know. Nite all.....finally!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 21,445 times
Default Worried & Confused...

I am on my last week of tier 4 euc in Nyc...I am in a panic as to what to do come next week...I worked 6 months in 2010 for the US Census when it ended in Aug.2010...filed for lack of work...received regular UI until march 2011..was employed for Home care from March 2011 until Jan.2012...(left that job for a position that paid double what I had been making in Home Care) for a Manager position in retail Jan 2012 until Aug.2012 when I was let go...Have been collecting since Aug.18 2012 until now...I am on my last week..Still Unemployed & afraid of what I will do now, When I called UE they told me on Aug.19 to file a new claim...but what does that do if I have exhausted a years worth of benefits? So Confused!! please help...Thanks

Old 08-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia13ny View Post
I am on my last week of tier 4 euc in Nyc...I am in a panic as to what to do come next week...I worked 6 months in 2010 for the US Census when it ended in Aug.2010...filed for lack of work...received regular UI until march 2011..was employed for Home care from March 2011 until Jan.2012...(left that job for a position that paid double what I had been making in Home Care) for a Manager position in retail Jan 2012 until Aug.2012 when I was let go...Have been collecting since Aug.18 2012 until now...I am on my last week..Still Unemployed & afraid of what I will do now, When I called UE they told me on Aug.19 to file a new claim...but what does that do if I have exhausted a years worth of benefits? So Confused!! please help...Thanks
Chances are there are no further benefits available to you. Apply for a new claim at your bye, anyway. If you haven't worked, you won't be eligible for a new claim. However, since this is NY, there is a remote chance you might have unexhausted EUC from your 2010 claim that could be paid now. Ask NY about that. Sometimes NY will pay current claim EUC first, which they shouldn't do, and there is unexhausted EUC elsewhere to be claimed, as well. If your 2010 claim didn't qualify for EUC, or you were never paid EUC on that claim before its bye, then, sorry to say, there are no further benefits available for you at this time.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Thanks for your quick reply,panicked I called the UE claim center & was able to speak to a very helpful nice person on the phone,She stated that I am still eligible for benefits due to being unemployed for a year...(I misunderstood how the tiers worked & when I looked at the last notice I received on June 3 2013 I had just finished Tier 1 & the letter stated I was eligible for 14 weeks on Tiers 2,but because my year end is Aug 18,I must file a claim again to continue Tier 2 & then go into Tier 3) & claim as usual on sunday,then monday file a claim again,there is no waiting week & it should be good until december...I did find a job but the business being in the process of renovating for the opening will not be starting work until late Aug...Sept...She said that my benefits will continue to run until Dec..if needed...she stated that I imput the same information that I used to start this claim..I will keep my fingers crossed she knows what shes talking about...Praying she is correct...

Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia13ny View Post
panicked I called the UE claim center & was able to speak to a very helpful nice person on the phone,She stated that I am still eligible for benefits (I misunderstood how the tiers worked & when I looked at the last notice I received on June 3 2013 I had just finished Tier 1 & the letter stated I was eligible for 14 weeks on Tiers 2,but because my year end is Aug 18,I must file a claim again to continue Tier 2 & then go into Tier 3) & claim as usual on sunday,then monday file a claim again,there is no waiting week & it should be good until december... She said that my benefits will continue to run until Dec..if needed...I will keep my fingers crossed she knows what shes talking about...Praying she is correct...
So, you are not at the end of your benefits, after all. Yes, if you are just now beginning Tier 2, you have another up to 23 weeks' benefits available - assuming yours was a full 26-week claim.

Tier 2 - 14 weeks
Tier 3 - 09 weeks

Yes, you got the correct information from the rep. You need to recertify your claim, in other words apply for a new claim at your bye, in order to continue those benefits.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 PM

I panicked because I had never been unemployed for this length of time before & just assumed that on 8/18/2013 It was a year & i had exhausted all the Tiers...Glad I rechecked that letter I received,called the Rep & spoke to you...feeling much less anxiety now that I understand how that works...I have 5 children & no incoming Support from there Dad,so I had a complete panic attack just thinking about having no income at all after next week until my job starts...Thanks for your Info,your knowledge with UE is amazing!!! Mia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment