U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 06:11 PM

483 posts, read 1,123,080 times

Advertisements

I think I've come to the end of the road at my current full-time position, which I've been at slightly over a year.

I'm giving serious thought to quitting and taking a temporary position. It's hard as heck to find a regular full-time position these days, but in my line of work temp positions are fairly easy to find.

As some temp jobs are want to do, they may promise 3 months or so but let you go after a week. If that happened to me, would I qualify for unemployment?>
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:15 PM

5,703 posts, read 3,833,586 times
Depends on how you leave your last employer, your state and the rules...Mainly the rules. Check you unemployment rules for a "Good" reason for quitting. Then you can go after a temp job, then should something happen, you "Should" be covered...

Again, check the rules FIRST.

You can get UI even after being a temp. Your employer (Temp agency) has to pay the same things a perm employer would..So yes a temp can get UI if the quit is good.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:10 AM

67 posts, read 179,868 times
a job is a job, I mean, just because it's a temp job doesn't negate the fact that it's a job. I wouuldn't harp on the fact that its a temp job. You're hired by 'somebody' and are paying taxes, so unless it's a 1099er, it's a job.

That being said, as Disgustedman said , make sure you know the rules for quitting a job. I don't exactly know them, but my 'guess' is that if you left for a better situation then that would justify quitting and going to a new one. People move to greener pastures and they eventually don't cut it during the probationary period. The one big issue I have ever heard is when someone moves to a new job, does not like it, quits, then tries to collect UI. I've even read on the UI forum of people getting hired, working an hour, then quitting an hoping they can still collect.

I' ve been a temp off and on for a few years and have never had problems opening a claim or reopening a claim when I didn't have an assignment. THe issue is to accept all work offered, so if the temp gig ends, you'll more than likely have to accept what the agency gives you as long as its comparable in pay/duties (gray area) of your previous position.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,695 times
So did I make a big mistake? I took at temp position for lower pay then I had before and after 3 days quit due to I calculated every bill and I wouldn't survive that pay at the temp job. Will UI disqualify me? If not, will my weekly pay get lowered even though I worked there only 3 days?

Old 10-14-2017, 09:37 PM

10,887 posts, read 14,567,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzNurse View Post
So did I make a big mistake? I took at temp position for lower pay then I had before and after 3 days quit due to I calculated every bill and I wouldn't survive that pay at the temp job. Will UI disqualify me? If not, will my weekly pay get lowered even though I worked there only 3 days?
Why did you wait until after you accepted the job before calculating your financial needs? Quitting because of the money could be a major problems if you were aware of the pay before you accepted the job. You may get disqualified going forward.

Depending on your state, benefits for the week you worked could be less if offset by wages, but working has no impact on the benefit amount you are receiving. Once they calculate your benefit that amount is what it is for the benefit year.

Your biggest issue will be the quit. That could result in the end of remaining benefits until you work long enough and make enough to purge the disqualification for the quit.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM

14,508 posts, read 25,005,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzNurse View Post
So did I make a big mistake?
Most likely. There are a small minority of states that allow you to try out a crap job, and if you quit, it's adjudicated under "suitability" rules. If you are so lucky, do not say, "I couldn't make it," that's a personal financial reason. However, "it pays less than I was making in recent previous employment," has a much higher chance of success.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:28 AM

13,479 posts, read 5,531,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
I think I've come to the end of the road at my current full-time position, which I've been at slightly over a year.

I'm giving serious thought to quitting and taking a temporary position. It's hard as heck to find a regular full-time position these days, but in my line of work temp positions are fairly easy to find.

As some temp jobs are want to do, they may promise 3 months or so but let you go after a week. If that happened to me, would I qualify for unemployment?>
Yes, but temp agencies will fight unemployment claims tooth and nail.

Typically, they will claim you were fired from every assignment "dismissal for cause" and that's how they get away with never paying out benefits to anyone.

If you are being laid off and can get benefits stick with that, you are NOT obligated to apply for work at temp agencies just because you collect unemployment. You can apply for perm jobs only and the workforce commission cannot force you to temp.

Good luck.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Typically, they will claim you were fired from every assignment "dismissal for cause" and that's how they get away with never paying out benefits to anyone.
This is a sometimes but probably only half. By doing this the temp agency would be taking on the burden of proof, and the client is unlikely to attend the hearing.

What is more likely to happen that does work is to claim that the temp worker did not contact the temp agency after the assignment ended. This results in the worker having to prove that they contacted the agency, and most temp workers don't know this so they just call, but don't keep a record of their call logs. Then the claimant gets denied not because they didn't call but because they can't prove it.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:58 AM

3,164 posts, read 1,279,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, but temp agencies will fight unemployment claims tooth and nail.

Boy what Temp agency are you looking for. I did this for years with a temp agency. It was in their interest to keep you happy with them. So you would stay temping and, stay with them.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
It was in their interest to keep you happy with them.
Oh, you've got a lot to learn. PriscillaVanilla is in a state with special rules so from her perspective that's what she sees.

http://www.nelp.org/content/uploads/...-Insurance.pdf

When you work in a state that has special rules for temp workers, it's not easy. The deck is very much stacked in favor of the agency, and they know what the rules are and how to use them. The claimants tend to be ignorant, and when they come on the internet for help, it's either too late or they get the wrong advice from people in the wrong states. Because the UI benefits are coming out of the agency's pocket, it doesn't want to be paying people to do nothing when it doesn't have to.

You might be in one of the states that treat temp workers just like any other worker, and you wouldn't know of the horrors that some temp workers experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment