U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:56 PM

644 posts, read 1,040,320 times

Advertisements

I haven't had much luck ever since I've been on unemployment in the state of SC. Nobody ever answers the phone, you're either disconnected or speaking to an automated system, so you can't answer any questions. I've only been on unemployment for a couple of months and I still need questions answered about unemployment. Not to mention the customer service is terrible. Everybody talks to you like you're stupid just because you're unemployed.

So maybe some of you can answer my question. I received a "Pre-Exhaustion Notice" last week in the mail notifying about me moving from state to federal because my state benefits are dried up and I'm supposed to go for a session. They are supposed to send me a notice about my appointment, but so far I haven't seen it in the mail yet. I actually had my check that was lost in the mail so I don't know if they mailed it and my mail got lost(it happens).

Anybody got one of these letters in the mail?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 02:58 PM

23,095 posts, read 49,065,295 times
SC should be notifying you on what is called an REA (Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment) - which is required attendance for anyone collecting federal unemployment benefits. You'll just have to wait to hear from them.

Also, the website says you must file for a federal extension. No clue if this is accurate, or if SC will do this for you. Most states automatically transfer you.

But SC website says:
Quote:
To continue from state benefits to EUC, you must file for an extension. Please note that extensions can only be filed once your account has a zero balance.

Emergency Unemployment Compensation
I think you need to do this yourself. Best watch your benefits, and file for EUC. If there is any local office you can visit (I see they have a dropdown on that), you might go there. You won't be getting a notice on an REA if you haven't filed for EUC. Just so you know, you won't get paid EUC if you miss your REA appt. SC should be sending you a notice on the REA after it establishes your EUC claim.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-03-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 03:07 PM

6,382 posts, read 20,008,955 times
Yes, when your benefits are exhausted (0) you will have to go to an office to apply for fed benefits. We are SC too and if memory serves me correctly you won't receive a notice informing you of this step. I don't believe we ever were told what to do at this point so hubby just went to the office and it was taken care of quickly. I believe we missed a few payments during this process too.

Why are you receiving paper checks? Paper checks are so slow. Get direct deposit so you have your money faster!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Yes, when your benefits are exhausted (0) you will have to go to an office to apply for fed benefits. We are SC too and if memory serves me correctly you won't receive a notice informing you of this step. I don't believe we ever were told what to do at this point so hubby just went to the office and it was taken care of quickly. I believe we missed a few payments during this process too.

Why are you receiving paper checks? Paper checks are so slow. Get direct deposit so you have your money faster!
Well the letter said they would notify me, not the other way around.

Paper checks are from my substitute teaching and they don't do direct deposit. I usually do direct deposit, but they do not allow that.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM

I might just go to the office and speak to these people myself because the letter said they will notify me of the appointment. Also I called once before and they said they will not see anybody in-person about unemployment benefits.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:02 PM

23,095 posts, read 49,065,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Well the letter said they would notify me, not the other way around.
Quote:
I might just go to the office and speak to these people myself because the letter said they will notify me of the appointment. Also I called once before and they said they will not see anybody in-person about unemployment benefits.

You miss the point. You need to apply for EUC. SC will NOT do it for you.

That is what Myrco is saying. She is NOT talking about REA. She is talking about actually applying for EUC.

The letter DID say SC would notify you of an REA.

It did NOT say it would apply for EUC for you.

You can apply online for EUC if you click on the link I provided above. If you don't apply for EUC, you won't get a letter on the REA.

That is why Myrco is saying - her hubby had to apply for EUC. They were NOT told they needed to do this.

Yes, go to an office and ask how you can begin EUC. That is the FIRST step. If you don't apply for and establish EUC, then you will not be notified of a meeting.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 PM

6,382 posts, read 20,008,955 times
Quote:

What? They closed some offices in the last few months and some people have to go to a different office now. I've never heard they said they will not see anybody in person. What county are you in?

This link takes you directly to an online application for EUC. Emergency Unemployment Compensation

They didn't have this online application when we were collecting. Hopefully it speeds up the transition for you. At one point we waited 3 or 4 weeks for money to come in.

If your balance is 0, fill it out if you haven't already. The notices you will get in the future may contradict each other. It is important to differentiate when these things are received.

Last edited by myrc60; 07-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts

Old 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You miss the point. You need to apply for EUC. SC will NOT do it for you.

That is what Myrco is saying. She is NOT talking about REA. She is talking about actually applying for EUC.

The letter DID say SC would notify you of an REA.

It did NOT say it would apply for EUC for you.

You can apply online for EUC if you click on the link I provided above. If you don't apply for EUC, you won't get a letter on the REA.

That is why Myrco is saying - her hubby had to apply for EUC. They were NOT told they needed to do this.

Yes, go to an office and ask how you can begin EUC. That is the FIRST step. If you don't apply for and establish EUC, then you will not be notified of a meeting.
I know what you're saying and I already did that.

You don't have to speak to me like I'm slow, dear.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
What? They closed some offices in the last few months and some people have to go to a different office now. I've never heard they said they will not see anybody in person. What county are you in?

This link takes you directly to an online application for EUC. Emergency Unemployment Compensation

They didn't have this online application when we were collecting. Hopefully it speeds up the transition for you. At one point we waited 3 or 4 weeks for money to come in.

If your balance is 0, fill it out if you haven't already. The notices you will get in the future may contradict each other. It is important to differentiate when these things are received.
I filled out the EUC last week and haven't heard anything yet.

They said now I have to deal with a call center through Columbia.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM

2,865 posts, read 1,903,670 times
I agree I had filed for unemployment but the system on the phone said my payments were suspended but I can not figure out how to get in touch with anybody to talk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or