Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 08:00 AM

255 posts, read 535,735 times

Advertisements

I was just laid off from a temp job that started August 18, 2014. Prior to that, I exhausted a claim I filed on February 14, 2014, the day after I was laid off from my full-time job. I had this full time position since April 4, 2012.

If I have not found work by the end of the year or just seasonal work, will I be eligible to open a claim in 2015?

I live in New Jersey. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
Maybe.

You should look to your award letter you received shorterly after filing in Feb 2014. It will show what wages were used. Then you need to look at your paystubs to determine if you have enough earnings in your lag quarters (the ones not used) to meet the earnings requirement. Then if you earned enough from Aug 18, 2014 to when you were let go to show attachment to the labor market, you might very well be able to get a claim in Feb 2015.

Also, you need to consider why you're not working at the temp job. Did it end? Was it through an agency? Did you follow the agency's or state's rules for temp workers as far as notifying them that you were available for a new assignment? Can you prove it with a fax, email, or phone records?

You're always able to file, but whether you'll be approved or not is an entirely different matter.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:21 AM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrumpster View Post
I was just laid off from a temp job that started August 18, 2014. Prior to that, I exhausted a claim I filed on February 14, 2014, the day after I was laid off from my full-time job. I had this full time position since April 4, 2012.

If I have not found work by the end of the year or just seasonal work, will I be eligible to open a claim in 2015?

I live in New Jersey.
Per NJ:
Quote:
REQUALIFYING REQUIREMENT

If you received benefits on an unemployment insurance claim, you
must have worked since the beginning of that claim to qualify for
another unemployment insurance claim after the first claim’s benefit
year ends. You cannot go from one claim to another successive
claim without working in between. Two claims cannot be based
on the same separation from work.

You must earn six (6) times the previous claim’s weekly benefit rate
and work at least four (4) weeks in covered employment to be eligible
for benefits in a successive benefit year.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/for...s/ui/PR-94.pdf
The short answer is yes, assuming you've earned 6x your weekly benefit during the 8+ weeks you've worked (8/18 - 10/15) since August 18th - which you probably did.

When you opened your current claim in February 2014, you had been employed for approximately 22 months (since 4/2012) at your previous employer. NJ used earnings October 2012-September 2013 as the basis for the current claim - leaving earnings from October 2013-February 2014 in your LAG - i.e., earnings which can be used in conjunction with your new earnings for a requalifying claim in 2/2015. With this substantial a LAG, assuming your earnings remained stable, chances are the new claim will provide a benefit very close to that of your current claim.

Again, assuming you've earned at least 6x your WBA, you shouldn't have any monetary problem qualifying for a new claim in February 2015. Other issues will be separations from this most recent job and future employments until the date you reapply.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-16-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM

255 posts, read 535,735 times
Thank you both for your assistance.
I verbally told the temp agency I was available for work yesterday. Thanks to you, Chyvan, I sent a follow-up e-mail today.

And thanks Ariadne for explaining the 6 x WBA rule. I do qualify by that criterion. As always, you help us navigate the bureaucratic maze that is UI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment