Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 05:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

So I'm on a one year contract with this company. The contract ends on Sept 30. I get a w-2 and work full time hours even though they list me as a part-timer. They do that so we don't full timer benefits. Would I qualify for unemployment if I finish out my contract and don't get a permanent position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
So I'm on a one year contract with this company. The contract ends on Sept 30. I get a w-2 and work full time hours even though they list me as a part-timer. They do that so we don't full timer benefits. Would I qualify for unemployment if I finish out my contract and don't get a permanent position?
If you are paid W-2, your earnings are eligible for benefits.

Several things, here:

File for benefits on or after October 6th. If you file earlier, because NJ backdates claims to the Sunday preceding the day you file, your claim will be backdated to September 29th and exclude earnings from April-June 2013. You want as many as earnings as possible in that claim. NJ benefit calculator, here: Department of Labor and Workforce Development

When filing for benefits, state you were terminated or discharged. Do not state laid off.

If this contract is through a temp agency, be sure you have maintained contact with them about further work, or the temp agency will report this as a quit and you will have to fight for benefits.

Read this:
Quote:
Jobs obtained through temporary agencies carry special provisions regarding unemployment which they are required to inform you about right up front. Judi explains, “Once you accept an assignment with a temp agency you are obligated to check with them for additional work upon completing each assignment before reactivating your Unemployment Insurance claim. By law, failure to contact them for additional assignments is considered "quitting" and can be disqualifying.”

Losing umeployment insurance benefits by finding temp work? - The Job Doc Blog - Boston.com

Old 07-15-2013, 07:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Yes, you can receive unemployment. I was working for a temp agency and then my job was outsourced to Costa Rica. I received unemployment in Indiana.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Cool, thanks. I got this job on my own.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 PM

One further thought.

Use the NJ benefit calculator to determine your benefit both ways - (1) filing in September (which would exclude April-June earnings) and (2) filing in October. The number of weeks worked will vary, which may affect your average benefit paid, but not necessarily the length of the benefit.

If there is no difference in benefit, $$ and no. of weeks paid, then file in September, saving that April-June quarter in your LAG. Those unused LAG earnings could keep a subsequent claim at your bye (assuming you work again) at a fairly high benefit, as well.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM

Why are you using NJ? Just curious. Is theres better than most? I live in CA.

I'll definitely get the max. I got the max with my last job and I get paid 20% more here and thats not including the OT I've worked.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 PM

LOL - Good question. For some reason I had in my head you were on NJ. Your state was not mentioned until now.

So, now that you say you're in CA, CA calculates its benefit differently. It takes 50% of base-year earnings divided by weekly benefit (based on high quarter earnings) to arrive at number of weeks paid, not to exceed 26. Sounds like your earnings will support a maximum claim no matter when you file.

Same principle, however. CA does backdate claims to the Sunday of the week you file, as well.

Examine your base-year earnings filing both ways. If you can save two good quarters in your LAG and you also work during your benefit year and earn at last $900, your next claim will be very high and probably pay for as long as the first.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Yea, I got UI for a good while last year. Unless they changed it, I'll get the 450 weekly max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment