Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 37,613 times

Advertisements

To be eligible for my unemployment benefits I need to look for work and contact at least 3 employers each week. Does anyone know what will happen if I don't make 3 contacts each week? I definitely look for work each week, but finding 3 jobs to apply to is often difficult. I have a Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment interview next week and I only found one job to apply to this week. I don't want to lie about contacting employers, but I also don't want to get dinged for not having made 3 contacts. Could I list websites that I looked for work at in lieu of contacts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellieSS View Post
To be eligible for my unemployment benefits I need to look for work and contact at least 3 employers each week. Does anyone know what will happen if I don't make 3 contacts each week? I definitely look for work each week, but finding 3 jobs to apply to is often difficult. I have a Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment interview next week and I only found one job to apply to this week. I don't want to lie about contacting employers, but I also don't want to get dinged for not having made 3 contacts. Could I list websites that I looked for work at in lieu of contacts?
You can list those websites if you actually submitted an online application. Those are acceptable. Many people have trouble finding openings in their field and are forced to submit applications for unsuitable work just to meet the search requirements.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Unfortunately no applications were submitted to those websites because there weren't any jobs that I qualified for. They are just websites that I search each week. There were a few times in the past when I had sent in my claim form that I put "there were no jobs to apply to that I qualified for within my field" in the job search log on the back of the form. EDD never called me about it and they still paid me for those weeks. I'm just concerned that this answer might not be acceptable since I am having an in person interview that's purpose is to review my work search efforts.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM

516 posts, read 553,982 times
Why not send a resume to a company you want to work for, not all jobs are advertised. Just do cold calls or resumes.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:25 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
To be eligible for my unemployment benefits I need to look for work and contact at least 3 employers each week. Does anyone know what will happen if I don't make 3 contacts each week? I definitely look for work each week, but finding 3 jobs to apply to is often difficult.
I applied for EVERYTHING I could do. From janitor to supervisor positions. I have done them all (Dishwasher, janitor, security, production line supervisor <-6 years, forklift, and you name it. You are looking for "Suitable" work. 7-11 quickie marts...Just because you apply, doesn't mean they'll call you back, you are just showing UI you ARE looking.

Oh and hit those websites and make sure to list the jobs and websites you list/vist/apply. You need PROOF if they ask for it.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
My unemployed relative applied to about one job per week, then made two networking lunches/meetings with former co-workers per week as his other "job contacts". Of course, he's still unemployed after nearly a year of looking...

Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM

Default 3 weekly contacts

I read on EDD's website that one of the acceptable weekly job search contacts is:

Looking in the newspaper or internet. If you use this as one of your “job contacts” you must provide the name of the newspaper or Internet site, and the Internet address if applicable where you searched for work, the date, the type of work you looked for, and the results of your work search.

I’m trying to find out if each website I search counts as one contact or if each day I look online (regardless of the number of websites I visit) count as one contact? Anyone know?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
What search engines do you use? Ex: indeed.com then add each word that you searched for.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Has nothing to do with search engines.

For EDD, if you find 3 different jobs on CareerBuilder with 3 different companies and send in those 3 applications, you have met the 3 requirement. I was audited while on UI with EDD years ago (before everyone on the tiers had to go in and they just did the random audits) and brought in work search that was solely internet and I had them listed as "Company A/CareerBuilder online application" "CompanyB/Careerbuilder online application" etc and I was told that this was fine.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:37 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Unfortunately no applications were submitted to those websites because there weren't any jobs that I qualified for. They are just websites that I search each week. There were a few times in the past when I had sent in my claim form that I put "there were no jobs to apply to that I qualified for within my field" in the job search log on the back of the form. EDD never called me about it and they still paid me for those weeks. I'm just concerned that this answer might not be acceptable since I am having an in person interview that's purpose is to review my work search efforts.
Yes, you will have a problem. YOu are required to have 3 contacts per week.

And, with all due respect, finding 3 jobs to apply for is not that difficult...cold calls, sending resumes to companies you want to work for, searching in the database of a company online and submitting an application to a company that is known in your field. Even a nuclear physicist (these exist, right? LOL) should be able to find 3 jobs per week. YOu are unemployed, and the EDD sees it this way, what did you have to do that was MORE important than finding 3 places to apply each week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment