Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 97,199 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone can help on this...

My state is MA, this is where I'm at. On 5/23/2013 I applied for UI after being let go through no fault of my own. I was discharged - it came as a complete shock to me when I was fired. I had not been warned that this was coming. About a week after applying for UI I received a letter stating that I needed to send in my W2 and pay stubs due to my former employer not sending in a "wage and separation form" Sent those in and a week later got a "monetary eligibility form back, stating they received my information for the wages and the separation code was marked as "unknown"

Cut to the week of 7/1/2013 when the new system was rolled out and my claim somehow became closed and I had to re-open it. They asked me to fill out a questionnaire about why I was let go and I did. I emailed UI in MA to ask why I had to re-open the claim and they emailed back saying it was glitch in the system. But, that all was on track now. One week after that I got a letter stating I DID re-open the claim.
I emailed them again, as getting through on the phone is next to impossible. They emailed me back saying again there was a glitch in the system but that everything was completed now and that I would have to wait for an adjuster to look at it, but they could not tell me when.
This week I called - sat on hold for an hour and a half, FINALLY got through to someone. I asked why after 9 weeks there had not been a determination on my claim - she told me that right now most claims are waiting 16 to 20 weeks for a determination.
Can someone tell me if this is correct - that they can force you to wait for 16 to 20 weeks just to make a determination if you can collect or not??!!
I also asked this lady if there were any walk in services for help in this area and she told me that "no" there aren't and you can only call or email now. Is that true - there is nowhere that I can go into and get information and help with this claim???
If anyone knows anything I would appreciate it. And before anyone suggests it - I already emailed my state rep about this, as I was unable to contact his office by phone - still waiting on a reply to him to. Although if anyone has any information on any other way to get help with this - I'm all ears.

Thanks all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 PM

177 posts, read 532,168 times
Sorry to hear you are having all these issues going on.
I live in MA too, and it seems like numerous people have had issues since they switched over to the new system.
That is kinda unacceptable that they told you that you have to wait 16-20 weeks for a claim to go thru.
I got let go from my job in November and I filled for my claim and everything went thru in 2-3 weeks.
It seems like in your case the holdup is because your former employer did not sent back the wage and separation from.
I wish I had better tips and answers for you.... but I don't

Yes, there are walk in services available. You can go to any career source in MA. On certain days they have people from the unemployment office there to help with claims and related things.
I tried going to the one in Cambridge on Alwife Brook Parkway twice but it was to crowded.
I went straight to the unemployment office downtown on 19 Staniford Street and got the answers I needed and the other time I went cause I needed help with my extension. There was not to much of a wait there.... and I found them to be helpful.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM

Thanks so much for that information...do you happen to know if the Staniford office is close to a T station - I would have to take the commuter rail in but at this point I might as well. I tried to call the office close to where I live and they said the don't have people that can help with claims unless they want to file a new one.
Again thanks for responding - I kinda feel a little lost on this and completely frustrated, so having someone give any info they have is soooooo appreciated!!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 AM

I know its so frustrating, totally understand I been there
The office downtown is not exactly close to a T Station, but you can walk there, its not that far. The last time I went I got of at park Street and walked over there, its a bit of a hike but I did not mind.
I think its better if you take the redline to MGH and just walk up Cambridge Street.
The real closest T Stop is Bowdoin - but that's on the blue line. You would have to take the redline to parkstreet, greenline to government center and then the blueline to Bowdoin. Me personally I would just go to MGH and walk.
Plan on giving yourself plenty of time you never know how long you are going to be at the unemployment office. Personally I would not take a car and look for parking and deal with the meters. I had to go there twice now I think I left at 10 am both times I got lucky and was in and out of there rather quick. But then someone else mentioned the other day that there was a line out the door. Not sure what day they went and what time. Maybe some days are more busy then others.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the directions. I'm planning on going in on Monday early and will bring everything with me in hopes someone can explain this mess.

Thanks again - you have been really helpful

Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 PM

Good Luck. Let us know what happens.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 22,174 times
I am also having problems reopening my claim. It went smoothly when I was laid off in April 2013, but after getting a part time job it has been a nightmare. I went over my benefit rate in July and was told that reopening the claim should my hours be reduced would be "seamless"

So far it has been three weeks since I became eligible for reduced benefits. I have filled out the on line claim forms as has my employer, but the payments are all on hold. I was told today that it may take up to 7 weeks for an adjuster to review my documents. In addition I got email from "QUEST" telling me I have documents to review on line, but there is nothing there.

However, I found a tel. number that bypasses the regular phone system. I dialed 617-626-6600 and was put right in the call queue. I was never prompted to push any number, just went to being on hold. I still waited over an hour, but I got thru to a staff person and a supervisor.

I may also try and go to the office in Boston if it works out for you. Please let me know.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM

Just wanted to update everyone on this. I did go into Boston and speak with someone, who while being very helpful could not fix the problem that day and said they would get someone to look into it and call me back. That was on a Monday, by Friday no one had called me back. But my state reps office did on the following Monday and when I explained the problem, they called for me and within 10 minutes someone called me back who looked at my claim and said "this one is a mess" apologized and by the end of last week it was fixed. I requested benefits on Sunday of this week, on Monday I was determined to be eligible for payment. Payment went through on Tuesday and they mailed out a paper check, for the full 10 weeks I had been waiting. I don't know why they sent a paper check as I signed up for direct deposit and they said they were not issuing paper checks any longer but here it is today and I'm going to the bank to deposit it.
I would suggest that if you have issues as major as mine had become you should - 1. Email them as the response time is quicker, and you have a paper trail to prove what you are being told. 2. If you have to call use the call back method instead of waiting on hold. 3. If you can get no where and feel like you are getting the run around call you state representative's office, it may take a week, but they will help and the state seems to actually do something when the state reps office is looking into things. 4. Go to the main office in Boston if you have to as it was only a small wait and you do get to speak with a live person face to face (even though in my case nothing was resolved that day) 5. Don't give up - remember you pay into this system for times like these. 6. Be polite to the CSRs as they have a rough job and its not always their fault, and they aren't always given access to everything. 7. Read this forum as there are a lot of good tips and tricks on it!! Good luck with everyone!! Mosela - if you read this - thanks so much for your info, it was very helpful and it was just nice to have someone respond

Old 08-08-2013, 12:31 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkmly73 View Post
But my state reps office did on the following Monday and when I explained the problem, they called for me and within 10 minutes someone called me back who looked at my claim and said "this one is a mess" apologized and by the end of last week it was fixed. I requested benefits on Sunday of this week, on Monday I was determined to be eligible for payment. Payment went through on Tuesday and they mailed out a paper check, for the full 10 weeks I had been waiting. ....but here it is today and I'm going to the bank to deposit it.

3. If you can get no where and feel like you are getting the run around call you state representative's office, it may take a week, but they will help and the state seems to actually do something when the state reps office is looking into things.
It is, indeed, amazing how responsive these UE offices can be when the state legislators get involved. I suggest this line of attack frequently, but you are the first person from MA who has reported actually doing this, although we have many reports from other states where this method worked beautifully.

Thanks for sharing that report.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkmly73 View Post
Just wanted to update everyone on this. I did go into Boston and speak with someone, who while being very helpful could not fix the problem that day and said they would get someone to look into it and call me back. That was on a Monday, by Friday no one had called me back. But my state reps office did on the following Monday and when I explained the problem, they called for me and within 10 minutes someone called me back who looked at my claim and said "this one is a mess" apologized and by the end of last week it was fixed. I requested benefits on Sunday of this week, on Monday I was determined to be eligible for payment. Payment went through on Tuesday and they mailed out a paper check, for the full 10 weeks I had been waiting. I don't know why they sent a paper check as I signed up for direct deposit and they said they were not issuing paper checks any longer but here it is today and I'm going to the bank to deposit it.
I would suggest that if you have issues as major as mine had become you should - 1. Email them as the response time is quicker, and you have a paper trail to prove what you are being told. 2. If you have to call use the call back method instead of waiting on hold. 3. If you can get no where and feel like you are getting the run around call you state representative's office, it may take a week, but they will help and the state seems to actually do something when the state reps office is looking into things. 4. Go to the main office in Boston if you have to as it was only a small wait and you do get to speak with a live person face to face (even though in my case nothing was resolved that day) 5. Don't give up - remember you pay into this system for times like these. 6. Be polite to the CSRs as they have a rough job and its not always their fault, and they aren't always given access to everything. 7. Read this forum as there are a lot of good tips and tricks on it!! Good luck with everyone!! Mosela - if you read this - thanks so much for your info, it was very helpful and it was just nice to have someone respond

So happy to read that you got it resolved .... glad I could help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment