Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,954 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my job Aug 9, 2012. I received the 26 wks of state UE, then automatically was rolled over to EUC Tier 1 which I think was 20 wks & same w/Tier 2. Right before my Tier 2 was about to be exhausted, I received the letter stating that my Tier 3 benefits would be cut down to 3 wks instead of 9 "due to the gov sequester". This following Thurs I will claim my 3rd wk on Tier 3. A rep from the Unemployment office was advising a friend of mine (who was also laid off w/me) that if she was still unemployed a yr after being laid off, that once she hit her layoff date there's an option to file further UE thru a claim w/our previous employer, but she would not roll over as we did w/EUC Tiers, she would have to apply as she did in the beg. I didn't want to burst her bubble when she excitedly called to tell me about this, lol I didn't want to burst mine either! I was hoping maybe this Rep knew something we didn't, but this just didn't sound right to me. I searched around online for hrs & the only info I see is that typically people can get up to 99 wks altogether between State UE, EUC Tiers & EB. However, FL isn't offering Tier 4 or EB unless the state employment rate is at 9% or higher. I wish it was as simple as calling the UE office & getting answers, but each time I've talked to a Rep in the past I get diff info, or have been told to wait until I have exhausted my State UE, or end of certain Tier then they can give me more info. Maybe there's a specific reason for this, its just fustrating. Does anyone know what options I may have once I file my remaining wk? I greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 PM

25,604 posts, read 56,686,592 times
If you have worked while collecting benefits, you may be eligible for a new claim when your EUC is exhausted.

If you have no new earnings, there are no further benefits available to you, unless FL has established a state benefit program for those exhausting all UE about which we unaware. Frankly, given FL's very draconian approach to UE, this is unlikely.

Also, you never received 26 weeks State of FL benefits. Beginning 2012, max state benefits in FL were 23 weeks, adjusted by UE rate. In August 2012, most you could have received at UE rate of 8.6% was 21 weeks. All your EUC was reduced proportionately.

Most you could have received in FL by filing 8/2012 is:

21 wks Fl state benefits
11.3 wks Tier 1 (54% of state benefits)
11.3 wks Tier 2 (54% of state benefits)
07.3 wks Tier 3 (35% of state benefits)

of a total of 50.9 weeks. Since you are just now exhausting sequester-reduced Tier 3, it appears you either worked a bit here and there, or didn't begin benefits immediately.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,954 times
Thanks for the reply No, unfortuntly, I have not worked any since my company did the large layoff. I have been applying everywhere, along with submitting my resume & completing their assesments for all 3 temp agencies we have in town, I also have my resume posted on the employ florida website & go to all the job fair's at my local workforce center & going to the classes they offer for resume writing & interview tips ect. I just get no call backs whatsoever. At one point I even double checked my resume to make my my phone nmbr wasn't entered incorrectly thinking that was why I was getting no cb. Unfortuntly, the city I live in is mainly a tourist town with a majority of seasonal jobs. When I first got laid off I figured I may have to start at a lower pay rate & work my way back up, but I honestly thought I would have no problem getting another job. I have not been out of work or in between jobs since I started working at 17. Previously I was always amazed that people could stay on Ue for even 6 months & just assumed they weren't making a big enough effort to find work, but now that I'm going thru it myself I'm starting to look at it in another light. You are probally right it may have been 23 wks, I was trying to make an estimate without pulling out all my paperwork I have filed. Again, thank you for a straight forward answer, it was fustrating not being able to count on the info the UE Reps were giving.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 PM

Well, good luck. It's quite a shock when people have worked all their lives to now find they're unemployable.

Many people don't like to leave FL, but the unemployment picture and wages are better in other states. If you can, you might consider it:

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,958 times
Question No jobs and unemployment is still dropping, this is a joke.

I am on tier 2 and I received a letter stating unless I have exhausted tier 2 by December 14 I will not be getting tier 3. It stated that the state unemployment rate was around 7% or under so they were discontinuing tier 3. So if you weren't already receiving it you were not going to get it. This is nonsense I have been applying for jobs since February of this year, hundreds of application and I have only gotten on interview. I want to know how that add up to the unemployment rate being down? These states are padding the unemployment rate so they don't have to pay out the money so they can use it for something that they think matters my than their people. Somewhere along the way the government have discarded the lively hood of the American citizens and their residents. But they don't mind giving money to other countries to help there people while their own people suffers.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:29 PM

This from USDOL website:
Quote:
Colorado and Florida trigger "off" Tier 3 of EUC08 effective 12/14/2013.

Based on data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics on November 22, 2013, the three month average, seasonally adjusted total unemployment rates in Colorado and Florida fell below the 7.0% trigger rate threshold to remain "on" Tier 3 of EUC08. The week ending December 14, 2013 will be the last week in which EUC08 claimants in Colorado and Florida who have exhausted Tier 2, and are otherwise eligible, can establish Tier 3 eligibility.

Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor
Further, at present Congress has no legislation on extension of unemployment benefits beyond 2013.

At this time, all federal EUC payments - FOR EVERYONE - end with payment for week ending December 28, 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment