Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 22,451 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm Jack. Live in MASS.

I was just determined to be "elidgible."

I have several issues, but they all center around the new online updates that they did to the computer system.

My main issue is an over payment error in the new software.
Filed a new claim. Immediately, I saw that I had an over payment for about 4K. No action proceeded for 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, I tried the phones. No joy...except once, I held for 2 hours, and begged her to escalate the file to a supervisor. Eventually, I got the manager's name and number of the over payment dept and the assigned adjudicator. Both people said that my "over payment" is from the new system. And hey are working out the the glitches. And I should be happy because I got 1. a determination of eligible, and receiving some payment is better than none. Then, over time, the error will be fixed and I will be credited the 50 with

From my perspective: I am receiving 1/2 of my benefit amount in order to pay off the erroneous overpayment debt. My concern is that I waited 3 weeks and didn't get any results until I diligently "pushed" for action.

Does anyone in Massachusetts have similar issues? And any advice on how to effectively sove this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
A really good way to get the UE offices moving is to contract your state representative, as this poster did in MA. Read posts 9, 10 on this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post30871808

You shouldn't be stuck with "paying back" an erroneous overpayment because their computers are messed up.

MA can fix your problem. Right now they're ignoring it because they can. Build a fire under them. Let us know how it works out.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 97,215 times
You can go to Congress's website and it has a search feature where you plug in your address and it will tell you who your rep(s) are. Highly suggest it. The state works miraculously fast when the representatives get involved. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM

177 posts, read 532,338 times
I had a couple of issues with my claim. I could not get thru to the phones either.

Best advice I can give you at this point. Don't even bother with the phones.. they are always busy. Go downtown to the unemployment office, they are actually somewhat helpful down there.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosela View Post
I had a couple of issues with my claim. I could not get thru to the phones either.

Best advice I can give you at this point. Don't even bother with the phones.. they are always busy. Go downtown to the unemployment office, they are actually somewhat helpful down there.
Great Info. Thanks All. Mosela, do you know if any specific office that can do more than say, "post July 1 there are no more walk-in centers. Three different offices that I have visited have declared a new "mission" It goes something like, "We are here to coach and assist you in job seeing efforts." Any and all problems must be addressed online and or over the phone. If you know of an effective down town branch, I will try it. Thanks so much.

Jack

Last edited by JackFunTeach; 08-15-2013 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 PM

177 posts, read 532,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFunTeach View Post
Great Info. Thanks All. Mosela, do you know if any specific office that can do more than say, "post July 1 there are no more walk-in centers. Three different offices that I have visited have declared a new "mission" It goes something like, "We are here to coach and assist you in job seeing efforts." Any and all problems must be addressed online and or over the phone. If you know of an effective down town branch, I will try it. Thanks so much.

Jack
Jack - sorry for the late response.

By walk in centers do you mean the Career Source Places ? Like the one at Alwife in Cambridge.
In my opinion they are useless, they only like opening a claim and that's it.. and they are ALWAYS packed.
I do go there to use the computers and print stuff but that's it.

If you really need to visit an office go straight to the unemployment office downtown 19 Staniford Street in Boston. I know its a pain too, but I been there a couple of times and so have others, and I find them to be somewhat helpful. Do plan on going early, don't even bother with parking, take the train... cause you don't know how long you will be there.
I visited there 2 times, early morning, in and out... no lines.. and I got taken care of what needed to be taken care off. I tried calling in too a few times, but the lines are always so busy...... so I just go straight downtown ..

Old 08-23-2013, 04:24 PM

Mosela, thank you. I am considering that as my "last resort."

Ariadne22 and nkmly73 and your experience all pointed to leveraging the local reps name or actual support. I did so in a very not confrontational manner. It went something like this..."New Adjuster's Name...I appreciate all your help thus far...I don't know what to do...since I did nothing to cause this over-payment, and Why Should I Have to Pay For An Erroneous O/pmt." " I ran into my local senators family on account that we are childhood friends (mostly accurate...), and he wanted the name of my adjuster or manager's name." I told the senator that I really didn't want to put "Alice" in a bad light, but i'm hurting financially due to a software error.

Well, Shazzam, 72 hours later, most if not all my issues have been resolved. The difference in payments w/held have been deposited in my bank account. I humbly thank all of you for your EFFECTIVe advice. My dog can have biscuits again!!!

Jack

Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFunTeach View Post
Well, Shazzam, 72 hours later, most if not all my issues have been resolved. The difference in payments w/held have been deposited in my bank account. I humbly thank all of you for your EFFECTIVe advice. My dog can have biscuits again!!!
Told ya!!!! It's just amazing how the UE offices can get off their azzes when you take the right approach.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 11,308 times
I am having the same exact problem. I called the governor's office and they told me that they would contact unemployment. But I still have not heard anything back. This was last week and I am in danger of losing my home my father has stage 4 lung cancer and if I lose my home I am in serious trouble. If anybody can help them begging for assistance

Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 11,308 times
Jack Iam in the sane boat as yourself and desperately need help. Mass unemployment went back nd denied all of my previous claims and are now saying I owe then over $2000. I really need the money thag theft have garnished out of my paycheck but everytime I call I am told that I'm lucky to gef anything. That is the bjggest slap in the face as I watch my home about to be taken away. I need advice of any kind. I Called the governors office last week but still nothing has hapoened. I have filed waiver, appeals, all to no avail. I know I don't owe them but its almost as if theh don't care. I feel like I am being robbed. Somebody please help, I am so desperate. My father is six w stage 4 lung cancer and I cannot let him go homeless. Please help any advice would be so greatly appreciated !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment