Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 AM

15 posts, read 38,641 times

Advertisements

I had been out of work for a month trying to fight for unemployment when I got a call from a temp agency. Well, my unemployment was approved but I accepted the temp job. The problem is that the pay sucks, it's less than unemployment and it's an hr away meaning I have a lot of gas to pay and also have to pay for the after school program for my son, leaving me with little money for other bills.

Any advice on how I can get out of this without losing unemployment?

FYI: I am on Tier 1 from an old claim because I do not qualify for a new claim right now.

ETA: The claim is from NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:22 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Well, you "Could" slow down and then the client would let you go, BUT the temp service might also tell UI that you were "Fired" and then you have another fight on your hands.

You'd best be applying for a perm job while working.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 18,441 times
If you are making less than unemployment you may be able to claim partial unemployment payments (especially if you are not working full time).....you may want to call the unemployment office to find out if you can do this if you haven't investigate it already..... It is generally pretty hard to get benefits if you quit....

Old 08-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, you "Could" slow down and then the client would let you go, BUT the temp service might also tell UI that you were "Fired" and then you have another fight on your hands.

That's what I thought about doing.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokin_5 View Post
If you are making less than unemployment you may be able to claim partial unemployment payments (especially if you are not working full time).....you may want to call the unemployment office to find out if you can do this if you haven't investigate it already..... It is generally pretty hard to get benefits if you quit....
In NY they won't give you anything if you work more than 4 days and I work 35 hrs, 5 days a week...yet I still make less than unemployment.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM

9 posts, read 18,441 times
You said it was a temp job I don't know how long it lasts for but may be better to finish the job, if you quit or get fired you are risking denial of unemployment

Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
You said you had to wait a month
Quote:
I had been out of work for a month trying to fight for unemployment.... I am on Tier 1 from an old claim because I do not qualify for a new claim right now.
- for what? To begin EUC on an earlier claim?

Quitting because unemployment pays more is a complete nonstarter.

Quitting because of travel and child care expenses which make the employment impractical may be acceptable, far more easily accomplished in CA than NY.

Here is NY's view on Voluntary Quits:

Section 1600-1700

Further, if you quit without cause, NY will require that you work again and earn 5x your weekly benefit (and have another qualifying separation) before you can resume benefits on your claim:
Quote:
1. Voluntary Quit and Discharged. You will be
disqualified from receiving unemployment insurance if:
a. You quit a job without good cause; or
b. You quit a job due to marriage; or
c. You were discharged for misconduct; and
d. You have not subsequently worked and
earned five times your benefit rate.
A disqualification for the above reasons lasts until you
work and earn at least five times your benefit rate.

http://www.labor.ny.gov/formsdocs/ui/TC318.3e.pdf - NY Claimant Handbook
NY generally takes a dim view of quitting because of cost of travel/distance, but if you can prove the job provides very little income after your expenses, you may succeed. Document your actual costs vs. what you are actually earning, it may convince the interviewer.

Of course, while you're fighting, you have no job and no unemployment benefits, and if this is ultimately deemed not a quit for good cause, you're disqualified from your earlier claim until you work again.

Let us know if you succeed. NY is a tough state for claimants, generally.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginakc View Post
That's what I thought about doing.

That's your best option in this case. As Ariadne22 pointed out, if this is ultimately deemed not a quit for good cause, you're disqualified from your earlier claim until you work again.

That would suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment