Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 AM

22 posts, read 42,959 times

Advertisements

I am in Mass.

I was at my bye early Aug 2013 with the 3 weeks left. On that Sunday, my only option on web cert was to open a new state claim. I had previously worked FT for 7 years corporate and had a small PT job that was only 3 hours per week. I answered everything honestly and that my PT went from 3 hours to 2 hours per week.

Somehow it triggered a new claim with the same or slightly higher benefit than when I worked corporate. ( I lost my corporate job end of July 2012 so I am thinking the math needed to eligible came from this pay amount).

I was kind of surprised and was thinking something isn't right. So my first week was on Hold but I didn't know if it was holding for first week. Today I applied for week 2 out of curiosity and the hold was bc my PT job says I am still employed- which is true. I have a Fact finding sheet that says I need to respond by Aug 29th(probably with proof I was laid off from PT job)

My question-

Will the state just close this claim and just re-open my previous claim for the remaining 3 weeks. I am actually hoping so bc I want to be honest and don't feel I should be receiving these new claim benefits and don't want earn benefits and have to repay. Do I just need to fax in the sheet by 8/29 saying to close this claim? or do nothing on 8/29?

I just would be happy to receive the balance of what I truly deserve from my first claim- the last 3 weeks. My husband is now able to help more financially so I am ok. Please advise! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Default No Loophole

There is no loophole error. You've experienced a routine, normal bye recertification, per this:
Quote:
8. I've been collecting for a year and am on Tier 2. My claim expires next week. What happens now?

Some states automatically perform the recertification process as long as you continue to file weekly or biweekly claims. In most states, you will need to telephone your state to RECERTIFY your claim. Your state will do a monetary reevaluation for a new claim. If you have not had eligible earnings during your past benefit year, your "application for a new claim" will be denied, your old claim reopened and you continue to receive benefits on that claim.

//www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmom View Post
I was at my bye early Aug 2013 with the 3 weeks left. Somehow it triggered a new claim with the same or slightly higher benefit than when I worked corporate. ( I lost my corporate job end of July 2012 so I am thinking the math needed to eligible came from this pay amount).
Because you worked, your part-time earnings were combined with LAG earnings (quarters from previous employer) not used in the base year of your first claim to create new claim eligibility. If you have good earnings in your LAG, your second claim can provide a benefit as good or better than the first. If you had not been working during your first benefit year, those LAG earnings could not be used and you would not now have a new claim.

Quote:
I was kind of surprised and was thinking something isn't right. So my first week was on Hold but I didn't know if it was holding for first week.
This is MA's standard waiting week before paying benefits on a new claim. Some states waive the waiting week on a requalifying/transitional claim, most don't.

Quote:
I have a Fact finding sheet that says I need to respond by Aug 29th(probably with proof I was laid off from PT job)

My question-

Will the state just close this claim and just re-open my previous claim for the remaining 3 weeks. I am actually hoping so bc I want to be honest and don't feel I should be receiving these new claim benefits and don't want earn benefits and have to repay. Do I just need to fax in the sheet by 8/29 saying to close this claim? or do nothing on 8/29?

I just would be happy to receive the balance of what I truly deserve from my first claim- the last 3 weeks. My husband is now able to help more financially so I am ok.
If you did not exhaust your State of MA benefits before your bye, those benefits cannot be collected now. If MA transferred you to EUC and you had 3 weeks left on a tier, those EUC benefits remain available to you after you have exhausted state benefits from this new claim - provided federal legislation is still in place.

If you return the Fact Finding Sheet on your part-time earnings, you can claim benefits. If you don't, MA will close the claim. However, those benefits remain available to you for another year if you should get and lose another job.

You are entitled to - and should claim - those benefits from this new MA claim. You never know when hard times will hit. Save the money, if nothing else. I say this believing you are still sincerely looking for a good full-time job. If not, and you really don't wish or need to return to work, and you are financially secure with no money worries, well, then, don't claim the benefits. Most people would accept the benefits - even those who really shouldn't. It doesn't sound to me you would be in that category.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Hello Ariadne22 !

Thank you for responding! I was on Federal Tier 2 when I had the 3 weeks left.

I am unfortunately still confused what I am to send to on this fact finding sheet by 8/29 because I still have the Part time position working 2 hours/week and I think when the eligibility board sent the info to my PT job the PT job denied it saying I am still working there. ( I am still working there which is why I didn't understand why the system forced me to open a new state claim ) I found on my account page somewhere where it had the name of my PT company and it says "still employed" (Do I send my last paystub?

It looks like from the data below that my 2nd week of benefits on this new state claim is on hold as the first week. Is that normal too?

If this info helps you, I received a substantial severance in August 2012 after I left my corporate job in July which may have factored into this new claim? I did figure out the slightly larger weekly amount is bc Mass. went up in Oct 2012, 2 months after my claim was already opened. Also as far as looking for work, yes I still am even sending resumes to front desk part time positions and not hearing a peep. ( I think they can tell from my experience/college I am over 47)

Anyway I apologize if you already answered everything in your last post to me. It was very kind of you to respond- you help so many people and give excellent and truly knowledgeable information.

Under the Monetary Determination section it says:
Status
Active $XXX $XX,XXX 8/4/2013 8/2/2014 ( I put in XXX's for the dollar amt)

Benefits Request Date Week End Date(View Week Details) Current Program Request Type Current Week Status Reason Weekly Benefit Amount Additions Deductions Pre Tax Authorized Amount Withholdings Overpaid Amount Payment Amount Issued Issued Payment Status Update Earnings
8/18/2013 8/17/2013 Regular UI Hold $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 No Payment Submit
8/11/2013 8/10/2013 Regular UI Hold $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 No Payment

To view detailed determination, select view determination
Determination: Eligible
Weekly Benefit Amount: $xxx
Maximum Benefit Amount Benefit Year: $xx,xxx
Benefit Year Effective Date: 8/4/2013
Benefit Year End Date: 8/2/2014
Correspondence Issued Date: 8/4/2013
Appeal Disposition:
Determination
In order to file an appeal, you must view your determination

View the Determination: Determination Not Available
Appeal by Date: 8/15/2013

Old 08-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Return the form saying that you are still employed, attach copies of recent paystubs.

As long as you have reported those earnings when you claimed benefits this past year, and continue to report them when you claim, there should be no problem.

The 2nd week may be on hold because MA needs you to return that form. They won't pay anything until all their questions are answered.

You could also visit a one-stop office to bring the form and find out why two weeks now are on hold.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Yes I claimed my PT hours each week while I was receiving benefits. I think I will at least send it in to prove I am working. This way I at least have the option should I get work and something goes wrong for my family financially. Quick question- will the PT company be mad at me if I chose to receive benefits? They have been so good to me I don't want any ill will. I had this position for the last few years while I worked corporate. I know they pay something into unemployment- I just don't know how much- ie: it's more expensive than what I get paid or if it's a percentage of what I get paid. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Quick question- will the PT company be mad at me if I chose to receive benefits? They have been so good to me I don't want any ill will. I had this position for the last few years while I worked corporate. I know they pay something into unemployment- I just don't know how much- ie: it's more expensive than what I get paid or if it's a percentage of what I get paid. Thanks!
The UI taxes paid by this employer for you are minuscule - like 3.5% of your wages. So, if you earn $200/wk, their tax is roughly $7/wk. just to keep you on as an employee. Further, the UI taxes the employer pays for all its employees are part of their cost of doing business.

They KNOW you were laid off after seven years, they are ASSUMING you are collecting unemployment benefits because any sensible person would. They continue to employ you with this knowledge.

Any additional tax they may be assessed for this new claim to shore up their reserve account will be relatively tiny because the lion's share of earnings on which this new claim is based are from your previous employer.

Your first concern should ALWAYS be the welfare of your family. Don't give it a thought. None. If this employer has chosen to have employees, he knows full well the responsibilities and expenses to which he is obligating himself.

If he lets you go because of this tiny tax, fine. You've still got your UE benefit claim, which is a good one. By all means, collect on this claim. You earned those benefits. Save them for a rainy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment