Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
How many more weeks would you get if the extension goes through?
I had used one week of tier two before they cut us off. If they do what they did in the past I would have the additional 13 weeks on tier two and 9 weeks on tier 3 (I'm in NJ). Problem is the bill they had is dead so who knows what they will come up with now as far as length of tiers. I just wish I knew for sure what was going to happen. I was so sure they'd pass something but now I'm getting very worried. I'm just lucky that it's just me and I don't have a family to support. While it would suck if I had to move back home with my mother at my age (and we don't exactly get along) at least I do have someplace to go. Many people don't. What would even suck more is losing my $2500 security deposit especially at a time when I could really use that money if I have to move out and break my lease.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,027 times
Yeah u would think they would at least pass the 3 month extension to give them time to play political games.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes they will, it has become another form of welfare like FEMA. to terminate it is the 3rd rail.

FEMA is welfare?? How so?? Do you even know what FEMA is?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Does anyone know if they're going to be discussing this today? Or is it put to the side until they come back on 1/27?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 AM

314 posts, read 697,860 times
From what I read it is put aside until they come back and they will be dealing with other things. I have heard that a republican in the house is proposing a bill that democrats will most likely not want to do

Old 01-15-2014, 09:38 AM

515 posts, read 553,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I had used one week of tier two before they cut us off. If they do what they did in the past I would have the additional 13 weeks on tier two and 9 weeks on tier 3 (I'm in NJ). Problem is the bill they had is dead so who knows what they will come up with now as far as length of tiers. I just wish I knew for sure what was going to happen. I was so sure they'd pass something but now I'm getting very worried. I'm just lucky that it's just me and I don't have a family to support. While it would suck if I had to move back home with my mother at my age (and we don't exactly get along) at least I do have someplace to go. Many people don't. What would even suck more is losing my $2500 security deposit especially at a time when I could really use that money if I have to move out and break my lease.

Just a piece of advice. If you can't pay your rent use the security deposit as your rent. In other words if they have 2 months rent in security deposit don't pay rent for 2 months then move promptly. Advise them to use that security deposit to cover your rent, thats why they have it. Don't walk away from that money.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon25 View Post
Just a piece of advice. If you can't pay your rent use the security deposit as your rent. In other words if they have 2 months rent in security deposit don't pay rent for 2 months then move promptly. Advise them to use that security deposit to cover your rent, thats why they have it. Don't walk away from that money.
Luckily she lives in New Jersey which does permit using the security deposit for rent. I had never heard of that so I had to look it up.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 AM

132 posts, read 220,644 times
This is nonsense, We need to get all 4 to 6 millions unemployed people and children together ASAP, get all news media together and make a statement to the Congress and the President by telling in November 2014 & 2016, we going to get rid of all of them once the elections happen. There will be no remorse for NONE OF THEM. They need to know we are not playing no more games. There's jobs are not safe no more. We need someone on this panel who can try to retrieve all the unemployed people from all 50 states. We have to get together ASAP within 2 weeks.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,191 times
We need to figure out a way to pull the thousands of people on this forum who are affected by this together so that we can make sure our voices are heard. Not sure how we do this but our elected officials are not hearing us. Nothing is being done and we're being used as a political football. We're already through half of January.

I want:

1.) Benefits to be restored immediately with retroactive pay
2.) More job re-training programs, not less. It is clear that our economy has and will continue to change in regards to which skills and careers will be in more demand
3.) A long-term UI deal made to provide some sort of stability
4.) A tax incentive for employers to hire the long term unemployed
5.) A reasonable plan to slow down HIB visa applicants. With re-training, many of us could fill those jobs
6.) Reinforce the message to all incumbents that we will not forget when 11/14 roles around - all will be held accountable
7.) A realistic accounting of the REAL unemployment numbers in this country that includes those who have left the job hunt or who have lost benefits
8.) Reinforce the message that we want JOBS and that we are all not lazy trying to milk the system

These are my ideas...what are yours? How can we pull together and be heard? We can't just continue to complain and vent, we must take action as a group.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM

19 posts, read 31,644 times
Was reading this morning about a an older lady in a strongly conservative district complaining about not getting her benefits, she is a registered Republican, what an idiot..LOL, hopefully they understand this time that conservatives are not for the middle class. IF YOU DONT HAVE MILLIONS IN THE BANK YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS VOTING REPUBLICAN,..but if you do vote Republican eat whatever shi(t they feed you with no complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment