Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 26,431 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ. I'm unemployed for the first and only time in 5 years. I filed the day after I was laid off (9-11-13) and it took a month for my unemployment benefits to be approved. I received the letter earlier this week (was mailed 10-2-13) stating I'm eligible, but when I login online to claim my benefits, it still says my case is pending. I have been able to claim "credit" for the weeks I haven't worked as directed by the first and only person I spoke to regarding why I'm unemployed who is the person who approved my benefits.

I phoned the call center (10-11-13) today which in itself is a challenge when it comes to talking to a human, and when you do, the reps tend to be extraordinarily rude. The girl told me she sees in the system the case is pending and the info in the letter must not have been entered yet. I asked her to speak with someone higher up and she hung up on me. I had no luck calling back.

It's been a month with no income and I'm getting nervous. I have been actively searching for a job.

I did sign a separation agreement with the company I worked for that states "This further confirms that the Company will not contest any right you may have to receive state unemployment benefits."

Will I receive the weeks claimed in a lump sum (once this is figured out) and has anyone experienced this with any helpful info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 PM

314 posts, read 697,759 times
Yes. You will be paid retroactively. After they do the monetary interview or have the info they need concerning what you will get, everything will be paid retroactively so keep claiming when you are supposed to. I had to call an agent on my monetary interview date when no one called. They didn't call because they had all the info already. Agent kickstarted it and I was paid retroactively 48 hours later. Of course I am now dealing with other issues after collecting for 2 months. But that is a different matter that has nothing to do with your claim. Just a tip...you can call agents on the weekend and reach them easily. You can't claim by telephone on weekends but you can talk to agent. A lot of people don't know that

Old 11-17-2014, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 46,811 times
Im eligible for unemployment for my job I had last year but I can not receive any benefits because of a job I tried for one week this year.they are telling me that I have to get a job for more then 8weeks before receiving anything. I told if I can get a job why would I be applying for unemployment.but I still received a interview in the mail .what will happen in the interview should I waste my time ?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
You have to be more precise with your description of the situation. Everything in UI is driven by the LAST job. You could work at a job for 20 years , get laid off, take a job at mcdonalds for a day, quit, and then be denied UI because Mcdonalds was your last job and you quit.

So, was the 1-week job your LAST job and why aren't you working there anymore?

Last edited by Chyvan; 11-17-2014 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 02:35 PM

22 posts, read 66,439 times
What was the latest determination you received from unemployment? The 8 weeks that unemployment is talking about is just to purge your disqualification. Has there been a determination made on your separation of your most recent employer? Make sure you watch your last day to file an appeal and make sure it is timely. The interview should just be a fact finding regarding your most recent separation.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 46,811 times
Im no longer working at the last job "one week job" because I had back problems and they fired me .I believe because law sues purposes

Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Ok, now that you were fired from the last job and you hadn't worked there 8 weeks, then they look at the reason you lost your 2nd to last job. Why are you no longer there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment