Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 09:52 AM

52 posts, read 101,754 times

Advertisements

EDD's website states "The sequestration cuts do not change the potential maximum number of weeks available but will reduce the weekly and maximum dollar amounts potentially payable by 17.69% for extensions with effective dates of April 28, 2013 through September 22, 2013. For example, individuals whose federal EUC extension tier began September 15, 2013, and whose weekly benefit amount is $450 and maximum benefit amount is $6,300 will have a reduced weekly benefit amount of $371 and maximum benefit amount of $5,186 after the sequestration cut. The amount of weeks available within each extension tier remains the same; only the overall benefit amount available is cut."

I was due to transfer to Tier 3 prior to the end of the cuts. I sent in a form with one week x'd out but still had $ remaining on that tier, and then sent in another form with the second week x'd out, to "bring my claim up to date" according to the form. However, I didn't receive any payments or new claim forms from 8/29/13 until the present, due to delays because of CA's upgrade to their system. I finally got through to someone today and she said she fixed the problem and I should receive claim forms for Tier 3 soon. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't ask her what my weekly benefit amount will be--the reduced sequestration amount, or the higher post-sequestration amount.

Does anyone know how EDD handles this transition between tiers? Do they use the date they SHOULD have transitioned the person to the next tier, or the date they actually transition them? I mailed the 2nd form with 1 week x'd out on 9/16, meaning they probably received it before 9/22, which would normally mean I'll collect all my tier 3 benefits with the sequestration cuts in effect. Darn! And I was right on the line! Unless...they count today as my transition to Tier 3. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Do they use the date they SHOULD have transitioned the person to the next tier,
This.

Benefits are determined by week ending date exhausting the tier, not when claimed, paid, or transitioned.

If you zeroed out Tier 2 with a claim for week ending 9/21 or earlier, Tier 3 payments will have sequester reductions.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:04 PM

52 posts, read 101,754 times
Sigh. Thank you Ariadne! I was afraid of that, but kind of figured that was the case.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 PM

45 posts, read 133,158 times
however if september's jobless rate is 9.4 i believe tier 4 will be reinstated. july was 8.7, august 8.9
( fiction because claims were not being processed, and september's numbers aredelayed until october 22. "the delay due to the glitch".

is the idea that tier 4 will come back a pipe dream?

Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 PM

42 posts, read 87,267 times
I just received a letter from NY State, and they changed the percentage of sequestration reduction and I have a new benefit payment rate. It had nothing to do with extension Ties. I got more dollars in my benefit payment this week, and it will continue unless the percentage changes. I think the reduction is now 7.2% as opposed to the 11%.
Every State is different, but I know in NY, the sequestration % has nothing to do with your Tiers.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
States vary in methods used on sequester cuts:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...estration.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment