U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 66,850 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Looks like I am another victim (if you will) of the dreaded NJUI we have received your claim however it is not payable at this time. I have been collecting with no issues sine July and when I went to claim last Sunday the October 12 I got the message. I got a letter in the mail stating the reason for the investigation was that there is a discrepancy as my previous employer seems to be contesting my claim stating the reason for my departure was for misconduct. I was a contract employee who was told about a week before my contract was up 07/06/2013 by my managers that since it is slow they will not be extending my contract pass the 07/06/2013 date and my last day would be on 07/06/2013. They told me this a week before 07/06 and I worked until that day. I had no issues with the lay-off as it was slow and it was expected. Prior to that I was working for another consulting agency for about 10 months I quit that job to take the most current role. I did state on my original UI claim that I quit my last position to take my most current position and that I was laid-off from my most previous position due to lack of work which was true. I never had any misconduct issues with either of my prior employers and my managers even let me use them as references when I asked them if I could. I am assuming that the consulting firm most likely the most previous one is contesting my claim. I have a non-monetary phone appointment on 11/26 until then all I can do is sit tight. If anyone has any insight or advise as to what I might get asked on the 26th or a similar experience to speak about it would be appreciated. I have and will continue to claim every week. Hopefully things will work out in my favor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM

314 posts, read 678,902 times
This kind of happened to me. I said I was laid off When i filed and my previous employer finally gave them a response Two months later saying I was fired in the paperwork he sent back. He never used those words when he let me go. Work was slow and he told me to go on unemployment. That could be the issue if there was no misconduct like you said. Through ariadne's advice, I contacted my legislator to help me. Everything was resolved within a week as my previous employer was nice enough to fax the legislator and unemployment a signed letter saying there was no misconduct and that he had no problem with me obtaining benefits. Contact your employer and see if they are willing to do the same. If you do not get a reply there is a good chance they are contesting it.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 66,850 times
Sounds good. I Will send a couple of emails to my manager over at the company and one to the consulting firm. Once again there was zero misconduct on my end. If there was misconduct and I was terminated needless to say they would simply terminate my not pull me in the office a week before and say that they were sorry as it is slow and that I could work until my contract end date. Im pretty sure it is the consulting firm contesting. As many others with this issue I have bills to pay and for ui to stop so suddenly is not good. They should at least let you collect that one week and say something to the effect of hey as of your next claim date there is going to be an issue this way you at least can perhaps prepare a bit better not suddenly left out to dry.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 AM

314 posts, read 678,902 times
Good luck. If you contact a legislator you will hear from them within a few days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment