U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 21,499 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently began receiving California UI benefits after being laid off of my seasonal employment for the winter months. After doing some research on the possibility of collecting benefits from California while abroad, a few questions arise. It is evident that no where in the law does anything state that one must be physically present in the state, however you should inform EDD that you are leaving. Would this have any potential consequences? If so, what are the possibilities?
Also, I have repeatedly read that the main concern with going abroad is that one is technically not eligible unless they are legitimately searching for work and are able to return to California to work in a moment's notice. In my personal situation, my Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award states in section 8 (Work Search Requirements):
You must be able to work and available for work each week
If you look up the fine print of these instructions in the guide to benefits provided with the notice, it explains:
"This means that you are not required to look for work, but you must be able to work and available for work each week to be eligible for UI benefits."
In light of this information, I can find no reason or rule saying I cannot go abroad. It is especially questionable when noting that EDD has specifically informed me that I am not required to look for work and under the assumption that I have the means to return to CA immediately.
Any opinions or further knowledge on whether or not I can go abroad and continue collecting UI benefits?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 PM

24,760 posts, read 53,556,918 times
So, of all the below criteria in the handbook:
Quote:
Your individual instructions for conducting a work search are shown here. Your instructions will be one of the following:

 You must look for full-time work each week.
This means you are required to look for full-time work each
week to remain eligible for UI benefits.

  You must look for part-time work each week as instructed by
EDD.
This means you are required to look for part-time work each
week as instructed by EDD to remain eligible for UI benefits.
You must also be able to work and available for part-time
work each week as instructed by EDD.

 You must register with your union and look for full-time work
each week.
This means that you are required to follow your union’s
requirements for registering as out of work and you must
also look for full-time work on your own to remain eligible
for UI benefits.

 You must register with your union and look for part-time work
each week as instructed by EDD.
This means that you are required to follow your union’s
requirements for registering as out of work and you must
also look for part-time work on your own as instructed by
EDD to remain eligible for UI benefits.

  You must register with your union and meet all union
reporting requirements and dispatch contacts.
Since your union controls hiring in your occupation, you
must meet all union requirements for dispatch. If you are
not in good standing with your union, you may not be
eligible for UI benefits.

 You must be able to work and available for work each week.
This means that you are not required to look for work, but
you must be able to work and available for work each week
to be eligible for UI benefits.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf
California has stipulated #6 in your Notice of Award. Why is that, do you suppose? What makes your situation "different." Were you laid-off, awaiting a call-back?

Generally, speaking, CA will not allow you to claim benefits from overseas. If you are going overseas, you need to call CA ahead of time, informing them of this, and get their permission to claim from overseas. You will need to convince them you could return to the US on a moment's notice.

Call CA. Let us know what they say.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 21,499 times
OK so I should call them and find out.

And to answer your question, I think they gave me those specific instructions perhaps because I am a summer employee in Yosemite, thus I was laid of seasonally but intend to return to the same employment next summer. Not sure though.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 PM

24,760 posts, read 53,556,918 times
It is very unusual EDD would not require you to look for work for 6-9 months. Keep that determination letter. You may need it as proof you were not required to look for work.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,990 times
I am also having the same issue. I'm a seasonal worker. So I work 6-7 months and then off for the rest of the year and collected unemployment benefits last year with only a few jobs reported here and there with the same employer.

I just recently found out yesterday that I can collect unemployment benefits abroad. And I bought my ticket to Southeast Asia just a few weeks ago.

I'm still employed we just don't have work for the off season.

Not sure what steps I should do from here. I leave Nov 11th.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:00 PM

12,184 posts, read 18,104,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarcity View Post
I am also having the same issue. I'm a seasonal worker. So I work 6-7 months and then off for the rest of the year and collected unemployment benefits last year with only a few jobs reported here and there with the same employer.

I just recently found out yesterday that I can collect unemployment benefits abroad. And I bought my ticket to Southeast Asia just a few weeks ago.

I'm still employed we just don't have work for the off season.

Not sure what steps I should do from here. I leave Nov 11th.
Who said you can collect while abroad?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:15 PM

14,508 posts, read 29,033,198 times
CA is a little more flexible in this regard, but you still have to look for work, and unless you have dual citizenship or the equivalent of a green card for the country you plan to visit in SE Asia, then forget it. If you have no legal right to work where you're going, you will not be able and available, and the tap will be turned off until you return to a place you can look for jobs that you can accept, and at that point you can reopen your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment