Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM

6 posts, read 9,777 times

Advertisements

My last day of work in PA was june 14 of this year. I really thought I would find a new job but no such luck (yet)

I filed for UC on 11/3. I received my debit card and was deemed eligible (not awarded) for UCB. My questions:

Since I left PA to follow my husband to a new higher paying job in WI, will i get to collect?

If i do, will i be paid retroactively from my last day of employment in PA or only paid going forward from my file date?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frzntundra View Post
If i do, will i be paid retroactively from my last day of employment in PA or only paid going forward from my file date?

The easy question first. You'll only get benefits from the date you FILED. You did yourself no favor by waiting.

This is what PA says about following a spouse:

Spouse following spouse - To be eligible, the claimant must show that the reason for the spouse's relocation was beyond the spouse's control, and that such relocation created economic circumstances which could not be overcome or that it was economically impossible to maintain two residences.

As you can see, it's no sure thing as to whether you'll get benefits or not. The burden of proof is on you, so start getting everything together to prove the required elements. Remember that what you SAY is not nearly as convincing as the documents you submit to prove it.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks Chyvan!

I guess i,ll continue to send by bi weekly claim and hope for the best!!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
My last day of work in PA was june 14 of this year.
I really thought I would find a new job but no such luck (yet)
Just curious... what job openings and/or offers have you refused to accept?

I don't mean the ideal position or what you did before in PA...
I mean any sort of work available in the new town that you are capable of doing.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Just curious... what job openings and/or offers have you refused to accept?

I don't mean the ideal position or what you did before in PA...
I mean any sort of work available in the new town that you are capable of doing.

Thats just it. I was not offered any jobs. I am pretty upset about that! I have applied to at least 20 jobs and not one taker

I have applied in and out of my skill set. Madison is a huge college town and my thinking is that most jobs are going to coeds. Employers can pay them much less

I was making 50k plus bonus,s in PA. Cost of living is less here than in Phila. But not by much. I am still certainly willing to work for less but again, no interest so far

Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
MrNational has never posted in the unemployment before. I'm sure he's just baiting you, and won't even be back to read your response.

Don't give it another thought. What you said didn't mean that you'd been offered anything and then refused it. Even if you had, you're not required to take any job, only a suitable one.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Thats just it. I was not offered any jobs. I am pretty upset about that! I have applied to at least 20 jobs and not one taker

I have applied in and out of my skill set. Madison is a huge college town and my thinking is that most jobs are going to coeds. Employers can pay them much less

I was making 50k plus bonus,s in PA. Cost of living is less here than in Phila. But not by much. I am still certainly willing to work for less but again, no interest so far
What field are you in?

Are you getting interviews??

Have you seen an employment agency?

When I worked - aside from the first job I had out of school, every subsequent job was obtained through a staffing agency. They always got me in the door, and I usually got the job.

Times are different today, of course, but if you aren't yet using an agency, do so. They can also examine your resume and credentials and may have some valid suggestions. Maybe your husband - through a work associate - could get you in the door at an agency if those in your area are only taking online apps. It really is who you know these days.

UE rate in Madison is lower than the Milwaukee area. However, jobs in WI are not easily had, no matter where in the state you live. Again, in many cases it is who you know.

Plus, Madison being a college town, big emphasis on education. Your competition for these positions may have the advantage of being locally bred with a wide network of "who you know," at least as well educated as you - and be willing to work for less. Depending on your field, good rule of thumb is not to expect any more than 70-80% of your previous salary, hard as it may be to accept that.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-13-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 PM

I left a job of 17 years where I worked up to a middle management position. It was a nationwide logistics company

I had 2 interviews but was not offered the job,s

I have not tried an agency but thats a great idea! Thanks much

My husband is a safari operator and adventure travel op. He is also a chef and we moved to Madison because he is opening a restaurant with his Brother here. I do not want to work in the food industry. I had enough of that in college

I am thinking of volunteering somewhere in hopes of networking with the locals

Something,s gotta give eventually

It sure would be nice to be able to collect UE for a awhile until I land something!

Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Oh, you will. Not too many people can afford two residences thousands of miles apart. Also, volunteer work - especially as a transplant - is a great way to expand your network.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:49 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Madison is a huge college town and my thinking is that most jobs are going to coeds.
Employers can pay them much less.
Gotcha. I was wondering what city you landed in.

WI overall has fairly low UE...
but as I understand it Milwaukee has an even worse job market than Madison.
Good luck finding your place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
MrNational has never posted in the unemployment before.
I'm sure he's just baiting you, and won't even be back to read your response.
Aren't you the charming one.

Quote:
...you're not required to take any job, only a suitable one.
Maybe within the context of an UI case...
but in the real world people have other obligations and some would still prefer to work.
Even if at a lesser job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment