Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM

109 posts, read 325,641 times

Advertisements

I got laid off on November 8th, 2013. Can I go work on a temp job and then come back to file unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:13 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I learned that one can apply for unemployment ON THE LAST DAY OF YOUR JOB, so you should have done it on Nov 8th the moment you got home that day. That's what I did to get the ball rolling as soon as possible since it takes time to process & (hopefully) get approved, so you can start getting benefit money.

My last work day & also the date I applied was May 24th. I finally got my first money in early July I believe, so do you see why you should apply right away?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
You could go work the temp job, but the better question is SHOULD you? NO.

Start the claim get it established, and then look for a REAL job. These temp jobs cause nothing but grief with a claim.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM

If only the online app worked or someone actually picked up the phone for me to file...

Old 11-15-2013, 04:34 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
If only the online app worked or someone actually picked up the phone for me to file...
TN is impossible. Try any and all suggetions I made to another TN claimant a while back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
TN is impossible to contact by phone. Write an email to the governor. There is a dropdown menu which allows you to choose Unemployment Benefits:

Help and Frequently Asked Questions - TN.gov

COMPLAIN LOUDLY about the inability to get through on the phone. Know that you are NOT alone. We have many complaints from TN claimants on this issue.

If you still have EUC to collect and cannot reach Tennessee, complain to the US Department of Labor, here - Atlanta office handles Tennessee:

Eugene Caso
Acting Regional Administrator
U.S. Department of Labor/ETA
Atlanta Federal Center 61 Forsyth St. Rm. 6M12
Atlanta,GA 30303
Phone: (404) 302-5300
Fax: (404) 302-5382

Region 3 Atlanta, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Or contact your state laison here:

James G. Neeley
Commissioner
Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development
220 French Landing Drive
4th Floor, Building A
Nashville, TN 37243
Phone: 615-741-6642
Fax: 615-253-8903
Email: james.neeley@tn.gov

I would make a lot of noise with both. Tennessee is one of the worst states when it comes to accessibility for claimants.

But, first, try visiting one of TN's local offices. List here:

Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
Not sure if TN even has a local offices anymore. But you will need to be VERY AGGRESSIVE, including contacting the USDept. of Labor (see above quote) even though you are not on federal benefits. There is NO EXCUSE for you not to be able to file a claim.

Contact your state legislator via email AND phone:

Legislators - TN General Assembly

Do NOT be passive about this. You will get action.

I would be sending email blasts to all and sundry on this. But, I've read too many complaints from TN claimants over the past few months. They should cut out the games and work on serving their citizens.

The overall inaccessibility for TN claimants is INEXCUSABLE.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-15-2013 at 05:11 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Got to talk to to a workers comp person on the phone today and she said a lot of people are having issues with the site and everytime i submit it puts me to the end of the list which is great I have tried 50 times already. But, how do I know I even submitted? Continue button at the end of the dep info page does not work. She opened a ticket for me and I got an email that said someone will call within two days. Today's Friday, so they got till Tuesday. I don't want to work a temp job but I have kids to feed and I can't wait for these people to do their job. I will call the numbers you listed above on Monday definitely. Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment