Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:29 AM

14 posts, read 67,586 times

Advertisements

I sometimes use a VPN for various things that I do on the internet, usually this VPN gives me an IP address outside the country. Today while logging into the system I realized that I forgot to disconnect from my VPN. I didn't certify for benefits as I realized what I had done wrong and disconnected and logged back in before doing so. Does NY track IPs? Will this show up as abnormal to them and raise a red flag? Should I contact them to tell that what happend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
This happens. NY does assume that you were out of the country. Logging out and then back in just makes them think that you did it out of the country and then called someone back home to file your claim for you.

In this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...enefits-2.html They asked for the passport to show that he wasn't out of the country or a receipt from the establishment showing that he was actually where he said he was.

You can fix this. If you don't have a passport (tough to prove a negative) go buy something today so you can show that you were here on the day this ip address thing happened.

You don't need to contact them. They'll be contacting you. If they don't, that's great, you just saved yourself some work, but if they do, be ready for it.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Thanks, I will prepare a copy of my passport in case they contact me.

I wonder if it makes any difference to the fact that I didn't certify while using my VPN, I rather just logged into the system then logged out?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Just the login from the VPN probably has suspended your claim. Try again, see what happens.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of threads you might read:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post32468658

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post32580523

Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 PM

I logged back in and everything looks like it usually does- the last claim I certified for (not using my VPN) said it would be processed the next business day as it always does.

Is there anyway to know if I've been red flagged or will they contact me by mail/phone?

Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Well I just logged in again and my payment for this week was released nor did anything come up about my claim being suspended, hopefully this means everything is alright....

Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Still haven't heard anything but with the holidays and all I still don't feel I am totally out of the woods. If they were to contact me on this matter how would they do so? Phone or mail?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
When it's happened to other people, they knew right away because they didn't get paid and had a message on the screen. You're going to be just fine.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:15 PM

42 posts, read 87,221 times
I traveled to CA this year and filed from a CA IP address, and the DOL never said anything about it. Maybe if you're out of the country it's different.
There is something really different with the NY dol and their system. That system tracks all DMV records, hospital records, travel, social services, etc. It was implemented in 2010, and it's a new big-brother type system. NY is the ultimate police State, and it has implemented the ultimate tracking system. I know the new passports are most likely tied into this system as well.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 AM

Really? You think there is a way of tying passports ( a federal entity) to UI benefits (a state entity)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment