U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-26-2013, 11:23 PM
 
6 posts, read 32,444 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

My benefit year is from May 2013 to May 2014. I was offered a 4 months full time job from August to December, during these 4 months, I stopped claiming the unemployment benefit. Now my full time job is over, should I re-open the old claim and collect the remaining state benefit? Or should I file a new claim?
I was also wondering if EUC is available after state benefit in each benefit year?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2013, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,429 posts, read 49,808,010 times
Reputation: 18082
You cannot open a new claim until your benefit year-end in May 2014.

You need to reopen the existing claim. Call your state to reopen this claim.

On EUC, Congress has NOT extended the program. All federal benefit payments end with week ending December 28, 2013. If you have begun Tier 1, your state can only pay through December 28, 2013.

If you still have state benefits remaining on this original claim, those state benefits can be paid until exhausted.

Congress will revisit extension of the EUC issue in January. No way to know at this time if the program will be extended.

Because you have worked, you will be eligible for a new state claim at your bye in May 2014. Again, you cannot open a new claim against those earnings until then.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2013, 12:28 AM
 
6 posts, read 32,444 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks Ariadne22! I collected EUC tier1 benefit during my last benefit year. If Congress extend EUC program in January, I was wondering if I am eligible for EUC after state benefit exhaust during my current benefit year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2013, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,429 posts, read 49,808,010 times
Reputation: 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter112 View Post
Thanks Ariadne22! I collected EUC tier1 benefit during my last benefit year.

I was wondering if I am eligible for EUC after state benefit exhaust during my current benefit year.
What benefit year are you talking about?

Did you have another earlier claim from May 2012-May 2013?

If so, and if you were not paid all EUC due under that claim, then, yes, if Congress extends legislation, your state will pay you what remains of EUC from that earlier claim.

Whether or not you will then receive EUC from your current claim (5/13-5/14) AFTER benefits from the earlier claim are exhausted, depends on the size of the claim (is it eligible for EUC), and if you began EUC before the bye of the current claim. New state claims void EUC eligibility on the current claim if EUC was not established before the new state claim.

In other words, if you are eligible for a new claim in May 2014, BEFORE you have begun EUC from the current (5/13-5/14) claim, then you cannot receive EUC on the current claim.

Your earnings will create new claim eligibility. So, the key is to begin EUC on the 5/13-5/14 claim BEFORE the 5/14 bye.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-27-2013 at 01:12 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2013, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
7,542 posts, read 8,966,226 times
Reputation: 3490
If your benefit year is May 2013 to May 2014, you are still in the benefit year and if you have exhausted your maximum benefit, you reopen your claim. You don't want it any other way anyhow, if you were allowed to open a new claim, you'd be stupid to do so and have to serve a waiting week.

If you are still out of work in May, then you open it up a new "continuous" claim in a new benefit year with a new waiting week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2013, 09:18 PM
 
8 posts, read 15,252 times
Reputation: 10
di anyone check to see if you qualify for the euc option which combines euc with regular uc . if your euc you where on is higher than your new claim you could have stayed on euc and deferred your regular claim
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2013, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,429 posts, read 49,808,010 times
Reputation: 18082
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucanplayr View Post
di anyone check to see if you qualify for the euc option which combines euc with regular uc . if your euc you where on is higher than your new claim you could have stayed on euc and deferred your regular claim
How is this relevant, in any way, to OP's original question, which was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter112 View Post
My benefit year is from May 2013 to May 2014. I was offered a 4 months full time job from August to December, during these 4 months, I stopped claiming the unemployment benefit. Now my full time job is over, should I re-open the old claim and collect the remaining state benefit? Or should I file a new claim?
I was also wondering if EUC is available after state benefit in each benefit year?
Did you read this thread??? Really read it??? His options were discussed here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You cannot open a new claim until your benefit year-end in May 2014.

You need to reopen the existing claim. Call your state to reopen this claim.

On EUC, Congress has NOT extended the program. All federal benefit payments end with week ending December 28, 2013. If you have begun Tier 1, your state can only pay through December 28, 2013.

If you still have state benefits remaining on this original claim, those state benefits can be paid until exhausted.

Congress will revisit extension of the EUC issue in January. No way to know at this time if the program will be extended.

Because you have worked, you will be eligible for a new state claim at your bye in May 2014. Again, you cannot open a new claim against those earnings until then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
What benefit year are you talking about?

Did you have another earlier claim from May 2012-May 2013?

If so, and if you were not paid all EUC due under that claim, then, yes, if Congress extends legislation, your state will pay you what remains of EUC from that earlier claim.

Whether or not you will then receive EUC from your current claim (5/13-5/14) AFTER benefits from the earlier claim are exhausted, depends on the size of the claim (is it eligible for EUC), and if you began EUC before the bye of the current claim. New state claims void EUC eligibility on the current claim if EUC was not established before the new state claim.

In other words, if you are eligible for a new claim in May 2014, BEFORE you have begun EUC from the current (5/13-5/14) claim, then you cannot receive EUC on the current claim.

Your earnings will create new claim eligibility. So, the key is to begin EUC on the 5/13-5/14 claim BEFORE the 5/14 bye.
There is absolutely NO ELIGIBILITY for reversion to earlier claim EUC until next May, earliest - and that is only if Congress extends the legislation and other guidelines are met as discussed above.

Please read the above carefully. OP's options relative to EUC have been discussed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top