U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM
 
7 posts, read 32,292 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

If anyone can help answer this, I'd eternally appreciate it - I can't find an answer ANYWHERE.

My husband lost his job and applied for benefits on 05/05/2013.

We had the Tier 1 extension in effect, as of 12/01/2013.

As everyone knows, the Federal emergency program ended on 12/28/2013. From what I've been reading, everyone is being encouraged to continue filing for EXTENSIONS, in case it does get extended.

BUT, WE RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING LETTER:
The federal extension program has ended. Therefore, no further benefits can be paid on your extension. If unemployed, you may file a new claim by visiting our website at Employment Development Department or calling the unemployment insurance office one to five days before 01/02/14. If you file as instructed and are otherwise eligible, you may received waiting period credit for the week ending 01/02/2014.
First of all, they are asking us to refile one to five days before today... and we just received it today.

Second of all, they are requesting us to file a NEW claim - but what in the world happens if the EUC gets extended?

Finally, how can he re-file if his original file date was less than 12 months ago? From everything I've been reading, you cant file two claims in a 12 month period... yet it's asking us to refile???


Please help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
24,821 posts, read 53,641,726 times
Reputation: 21409
That refile only applies to people who are collecting EUC after the bye of their original claim.

You are still within the one year. There is nothing for you to do but wait. CA states on its website it will notify you when benefits are extended.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2014, 07:59 PM
 
7 posts, read 32,292 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you Ariadne, we appreciate it so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 AM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 14,012,383 times
Reputation: 12503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That refile only applies to people who are collecting EUC after the bye of their original claim.

You are still within the one year. There is nothing for you to do but wait. CA states on its website it will notify you when benefits are extended.
Sister received this letter, too, in California:

"The federal extension program has ended. Therefore, no further benefits can be paid on your extension. If unemployed, you may file a new claim by visiting our website at Employment Development Department or calling the unemployment insurance office one to five days before 01/02/14. If you file as instructed and are otherwise eligible, you may received waiting period credit for the week ending 01/02/2014.
Your claim balance after this payment is $1,672.00"

BUT her claim expires THIS WEEKEND on 01-11-14! (1 year from the time she originally started receiving state benefits) Should she do do anything? I read today about what's happening in Congress.

Thank you, Ariadne

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 01-07-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
24,821 posts, read 53,641,726 times
Reputation: 21409
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Sister received this letter, too, in California:

"The federal extension program has ended. Therefore, no further benefits can be paid on your extension. If unemployed, you may file a new claim by visiting our website at Employment Development Department or calling the unemployment insurance office one to five days before 01/02/14. If you file as instructed and are otherwise eligible, you may received waiting period credit for the week ending 01/02/2014.
Your claim balance after this payment is $1,672.00"

BUT her claim expires THIS WEEKEND on 01-11-14! (1 year from the time she originally started receiving state benefits) Should she do do anything? I read today about what's happening in Congress.
Which means she can apply for a new claim this Sunday. If she's worked during this past year and earned at least $900, she should have new claim eligibility. She may also have new claim eligibility depending on CA views her LAG earnings - this happens occasionally.

So, have her file and see where it goes. CA has always tried to qualify people whenever they can. No harm in applying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 14,012,383 times
Reputation: 12503
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
BUT her claim expires THIS WEEKEND on 01-11-14! (1 year from the time she originally started receiving state benefits) Should she do do anything? I read today about what's happening in Congress.Thank you, Ariadne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Which means she can apply for a new claim this Sunday. If she's worked during this past year and earned at least $900, she should have new claim eligibility. She may also have new claim eligibility depending on CA views her LAG earnings - this happens occasionally.
So, have her file and see where it goes. CA has always tried to qualify people whenever they can. No harm in applying.
Thanks so much!
Just one more question---if Congress reinstates retroactively to Jan 1, would this factor into this situation date-wise since it would be before her bye date of Jan 11? (she did not work in 2013)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
24,821 posts, read 53,641,726 times
Reputation: 21409
If Congress reinstates this week, CA would pay her retro EUC for weeks ending 1/4 and 1/11.

At her bye, CA must test for a new claim. The states MUST test for new claim eligibility when beginning a new tier and/or quarterly, and always at the bye.

Thereafter, if she was collecting EUC, had no new claim eligibility at her bye, she would continue on EUC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,064 times
Reputation: 10
I received the same letter, but on 1/6, several days after 1/2. My claim expires April 2014.

Sounds like Ariadne22's reply fits my situation too, since my date is April?

I don't understand what I should do?
Do I file a NEW claim?
Can I file a new claim with my former employer?
Why do they make this so confusing?

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by carobnty; 01-07-2014 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: more information
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
24,821 posts, read 53,641,726 times
Reputation: 21409
Quote:
Originally Posted by carobnty View Post
I received the same letter, but on 1/6, several days after 1/2. My claim expires April 2014.

Sounds like Ariadne22's reply fits my situation too, since my date is April?

I don't understand what I should do?
Do I file a NEW claim?
Can I file a new claim with my former employer?
Why do they make this so confusing?
You can't file a new claim until April 2014. CA only allows one claim in a 52-week period.

This posted upthread applies to you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That refile only applies to people who are collecting EUC after the bye of their original claim .

You are still within the one year. There is nothing for you to do but wait. CA states on its website it will notify you when benefits are extended.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,064 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you Ariadne22!

I don't know why they send these notices out if they don't apply. This whole process is very confusing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top