Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,123 times

Advertisements

I would like to find out if there is a problem (for either the employee getting unemployment benefits or the employer with the legality of that) laying off a full time person in the state of Ohio because of lack of work and hiring a part time person to do most of the same duties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:39 AM

77 posts, read 214,972 times
If you were laid off, you should certainly be eligible for unemployment benefits. Apply if you haven't. If you're looking for a wrongful termination suit though, I'm pretty sure most states are at-will, meaning employers can let you go for any reason just like you can walk away for any reason. Unless you can show it involves something like sexism/racism/age-ism/etc., a suit like that probably isn't worth the headache.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 PM

I am not looking for a wrongful termination suit.

I 'd like to know if the employer can (with out any legal issue/audit) lay off a full time person and hire a part time person. AND if the laid off full timer would be eligible for Unemployment benefits even thought there is someone back in the role (although part time).

Old 03-04-2014, 12:05 PM

I read this initially thinking you were laid off, but now I assume you're the employer? The answer is still yes, the employee would qualify. He/she was let go through no fault of his own.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:08 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbb9495 View Post
I 'd like to know if the employer can (with out any legal issue/audit) lay off a full time person and hire a part time person.
Yes, unless your union contract prohibits it. Employers can do anything they want. Their reason - whether legitimate or not - is your layoff was a cost-effective business decision and they couldn't afford you anymore.

Quote:
AND if the laid off full timer would be eligible for Unemployment benefits even thought there is someone back in the role (although part time).
Yes. A layoff is a layoff. Being laid off and replaced by a part time worker happens a hundred times a day everywhere and entitles the laid off worker to unemployment benefits. Unemployment benefits exist for this exact reason.

Certainly apply.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM

And what about the employer end of things? Are there parameters that might trigger an unemployment audit as far as hours worked full time vs hours worked part time and the duties for each?
I have heard that some employers could be audited by the unemployment office and fined heavily for hiring a someone to replace the laid off worker who is collecting unemployment.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:31 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
Then you've heard wrong. An employer can lay off their entire work force and replace the whole lot of them with new people, and UI doesn't care one bit, but the employer will get stuck with one heck of a UI tax increase because the employer's experience rating will go through the roof, but that's not a fine, that's just the employer getting hit for his share of the UI payments directly attributed to his actions.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM

I know that the more unemployment claims a company has, the more their insurance rate goes up. Maybe you overheard something relating to that? But apologies, I don't know much about the employer side of things. Sorry to hear that you may have to let someone go.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Does anyone have any documentation or links to the rules to support the statement that the UI doesn't care or that there are no restrictions to laying off employees and not being audited?

Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any documentation or links to the rules to support the statement that the UI doesn't care or that there are no restrictions to laying off employees and not being audited?
You are in Ohio. Recently there was a legislative endeavor to make Ohio a Right to Work state - it appears to have failed.

So, it is quite possible Ohio Labor Laws may preclude what this employer has done. Why don't you email your State Secretary of Labor about this issue:

David Goodman
Director
Department of Commerce
77 South High Street, 22nd Floor
Columbus, OH43215
(614) 644-2239
Fax: (614) 466-5650
www.com.state.OH.us

http://www.dol.gov/whd/contacts/state_of.htm#OH

Or:

Industrial Compliance
6606 Tussing Road
P.O. Box 4009
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-9009
614-644-2223
Email ic@com.state.oh.us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment