U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 02:20 AM

4 posts, read 2,645 times

Advertisements

Hello a little confused, please help if possible.

I have read previous explanations on 1257a 5-15 week penalty info, what I need to do and what it means, however I was sent this notice of determination post dated 12/3/2014 with penalty dates for last year. Very confused. It reads you are not eligible to receive benefits under code 1257a beginning 3/10/2013 until you have filed a claim for each 8 weeks eligible. This was "originally mailed" 3/11/2013. after filing a new claim last Saturday, I was resent this old dated letter of determination.When I call the automated it says my day to certify for benefits is 12/7/2014, so was this letter for informational purposes? Will I get benefits? Please help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:43 AM

14,508 posts, read 25,918,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjones98 View Post
so was this letter for informational purposes?
It was for information, but they mean it. If you have an 8 week penalty that needs to be satsified, then that's what has to happen, or you need to appeal it to try to get it eliminated or reduced.

Quote:
Will I get benefits? Please help!
You might, and the weekly claims you submit from this claim will go towards satisifying the penalty, so it could be that you'll be filing, and receiving no money because EDD will keep it. However, you should file the weekly claims because if you don't, then you'll never get that penalty taken care of if appealing doesn't make things better for you.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:50 AM

23,446 posts, read 49,944,752 times
Quote:
however I was sent this notice of determination post dated 12/3/2014 with penalty dates for last year.

It reads you are not eligible to receive benefits under code 1257a beginning 3/10/2013 until you have filed a claim for each 8 weeks eligible. This was "originally mailed" 3/11/2013. after filing a new claim last Saturday,

I was resent this old dated letter of determination.When I call the automated it says my day to certify for benefits is 12/7/2014, so was this letter for informational purposes?

Will I get benefits?
No you will not get benefits until you claim eight weeks - actually nine including your waiting week. Letter was sent as a REMINDER that you have an unsatisfied penalty from last year.

Unsatisfied penalties carry forward for three years. Read the letter you got last year on this penalty. It clearly states this penalty remains on your account for three years - or until you've claimed those penalty weeks.

You had a claim last year on which you were penalized - beginning 3/10/2013. Sounds like you were assessed an overpayment penalty for failure to report earnings over a period of four weeks - 5 wk dq for first week, 1 add'l wk for each wk you failed to report thereafter.

Because you did not claim (serve out) those penalized claim weeks last year, you need to claim those eight weeks now and not be paid, before CA will pay benefits on this new claim. This doesn't affect the monetary award of this new claim - you are just required to serve out the penalty weeks before collecting.

Altogether, including the waiting week on this new claim, you will be without benefits for nine weeks. After that CA will pay future weeks claimed.

Keep claiming.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-06-2014 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Thank both of you for the information I really appreciate the insight on this

Old 12-06-2014, 06:30 PM

The only other thing is that the appeal had to be filed 20 days from that notice last year so will they still give me time to appeal it now since it will apply to the new claim? Because no appeal form was included.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 PM

23,446 posts, read 49,944,752 times
Quote:
The only other thing is that the appeal had to be filed 20 days from that notice last year so will they still give me time to appeal it now since it will apply to the new claim?
No. The time to appeal that penalty was last year.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:01 AM

Wow so I'm just screwed for 9 weeks lol better then nothing thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment