Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 2,410 times

Advertisements

Im a contractor recently I worked in Alabama my home state is Georgia and my contract house is in Baltimore Maryland
So when my 8 weeks of benefits runs out can I file in Maryland? I was informed that I can only collect 8 weeks regardless
Of the amount of money I made per quarter
Thanks Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:02 AM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Were you paid as a W-2 employee or as a 1099 contractor?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:59 AM

W2

Old 01-17-2016, 03:36 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal45 View Post
Im a contractor

recently

I worked in Alabama
my home state is Georgia and
my contract house is in Baltimore Maryland

So when my 8 weeks of benefits runs out can I file in Maryland? I was informed that I can only collect 8 weeks regardless Of the amount of money I made per quarter
Amount of money you can collect depends on:
(1) state in which you file and
(2) base-period wages used at the time you file and
(3) where those wages were earned
Some states will pay 26 weeks benefits based on only one quarter of earnings if that quarter is high enough - so you cannot assume you will only get eight weeks.

A combined-wage (Alabama/Maryland) claim may provide a higher weekly benefit for a longer period than separate claims filed in two states.

Please clarify:
  • Sounds like your last job was in Alabama, you are currently unemployed, want to file for benefits based on the Alabama employment. Is that correct?
  • Sounds like you WILL BE working Maryland, and want to file for benefits there when your "contract house" is completed? Is this correct?
Also, please provide:
  • Your exact work history - by date - in all states going back to October 2014.
  • Have you had any earlier claims? If so, (1) when and (2) in which state?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:37 PM

Ok
I work as a contractor in South Carolina for 7 years ending 5/17/15 than I collected unemployment from the state of Georgia till 7/22/15 when I picked up another contract job in Alabama which ended 12/5/15 and I am unemploymented at this time.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2016, 04:54 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,095,734 times
You poor soul. You should have REOPENed the Georgia claim. The Georgia claim looks to have some weeks of benefits left unless they are a state that's only paying 8 weeks, or maybe that's what AL did is let you interstate claim the remaining amount on your GA claim.

There may even be time to exhaust and then be able to get a second year claim around 5/17/16 using your paystubs from AL (don't throw them away) to show attachment to the labor market.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:22 PM

I did reopen the claim in Georgia problem is the fine state of Georgia only allows 18 weeks of unemployment in a 1 year period....hence the question can I draw in another state after this claim is done...my contract house is in Maryland and that is most likely the state where the unemployment insurance was paid and perhaps I could open a claim in this state

Old 01-17-2016, 08:20 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,095,734 times
Quote:
Ok
I work as a contractor in South Carolina for 7 years ending 5/17/15 than I collected unemployment from the state of Georgia
You have to be more precise with stuff. From reading this, my gut instinct was why didn't you file in SC the first time around.

It's not about where the company's located, it's about where you worked, but there can be reporting errors that you can take advantage of, but you were asked to document your wages by state (as in where were you working when you earned them) for the past 18 months, you haven't, so you're not going to get the best answer.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:39 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Quote:
Im a contractor recently I worked in Alabama my home state is Georgia and my contract house is in Baltimore Maryland

Thanks Dan
Quote:
Ok
  • I work as a contractor in South Carolina for 7 years ending 5/17/15 than I
  • collected unemployment from the state of Georgia till 7/22/15 when I
  • picked up another contract job in Alabama which ended 12/5/15 and
  • I am unemployed at this time.
Quote:
I did reopen the claim in Georgia problem is the fine state of Georgia only allows 18 weeks of unemployment in a 1 year period....hence the question can I draw in another state after this claim is done...my contract house is in Maryland and that is most likely the state where the unemployment insurance was paid and perhaps I could open a claim in this state
The obvious state in which to have applied the first time would have been South Carolina.

That said, if you have exhausted the GA claim, yes - you may be able to qualify for a claim in another state - depending on the employer and where it paid FUTA taxes.

If you worked on a house in Maryland for an Alabama employer, there's a very good chance you'll need to apply in Alabama - unless that employer is in the habit if paying FUTA taxes to every state in which it works.

Many multi-state employers choose one or two states to which to pay UI FUTA tax - no matter where they do the work - usually the states with the lowest benefits. We had a case of a Hawaiian worker who could only get benefits from Alabama because that was the state where his employer reported the Hawaii wages - for obvious reasons. HI benefit is over $500/wk; AL more in the area of $300.

Chances are your Alabama employer reported your wages and paid UI taxes in Alabama. But, apply in MD first - request a combined-wage claim which will include SC earnings Jan-May 2015 and your MD earnings from the Alabama employer. If MD won't grant the claim because it shows no earnings for you, apply in AL. Again, request a combined-wage claim.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-17-2016 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment