Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,766 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I filed for unemployment on Monday after being fired on Sunday. Last Wednesday I called out sick for having a stomach flu/virus. The job never had any complaints about it didn't receive a phone call questioning it etc. Well on Thursday the next day I still didn't feel well and contemplated on calling out but noticed on the schedule there was only one person and myself in the department so I decided to come in anyway and do what I could do. I ended up leaving at 4 instead of 6 as my stomach was not holding up.
After I am home I get a phone call from my manager and he said it was unacceptable to go home sick, I explained to him that I was sick etc and I tried to work as long as I could. He ended the conversation and hung up saying it was unacceptable. Well I did not want to lose my job so I called him back 2 additional times trying to explain that I was sick and each time it was a brief "it was unacceptable" comment with him hanging up in the end. I really didn't want to lose my job so I then called the owner as we have a good working relationship (I think/thought) and explained to him what had just happened but he was in a meeting so he really couldn't talk. Well on Friday the assistant manager called me and said I was taken off the schedule for the rest of the week and they would let me know on Sunday when the schedule comes out if I still have a job.
On Sunday the assistant manager called and said they would no longer be needing me and I had been fired. So I filed unemployment online Monday, for reason of filing I put fired for leaving work early sick also mentioning the previous day I called out sick. I checked yesterday on my status and it says "An issue has been identified on your claim. Please attend the non-monetary appointment listed below so a claims agent may resolve this issue. I have a non-monetary phone interview on February 22 at 11:20am. How should I proceed and have I done everything correctly so far? I haven't received a phone call or anything in the mail yet. I hope you can give me some advice on how to proceed. I'm in NJ BTW. Thanks!

Last edited by ChrisD1; 01-29-2016 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,143,514 times
Your first mistake was when you knew your employer was firing you and you were still sick, you should have immediately gone to urgent care. You, as a nondoctor, don't get to tell UI that you were sick. You don't have the right credentials. So now you will be trying to convince UI that your absence and leaving early were the result of an excuseable illness without the diagnosis of a doctor. That's a tough sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD1 View Post
So I filed unemployment online Monday, for reason of filing I put fired for leaving work early sick also mentioning the previous day I called out sick.
You were fired because you were fired. Let your employer provide the reason. Many do not, but now you have made a confession. You can't say later, "well my employer never responded. I should get benefits." You did the employer's job for them, and you made an excuse for yourself, but you won't have a doctor's diagnosis to back it up.

Quote:
I checked yesterday on my status and it says "An issue has been identified on your claim. Please attend the non-monetary appointment listed below so a claims agent may resolve this issue. I have a non-monetary phone interview on February 22 at 11:20am. How should I proceed and have I done everything correctly so far? I haven't received a phone call or anything in the mail yet. I hope you can give me some advice on how to proceed. I'm in NJ BTW. Thanks!
Your fate was sealed the moment you submitted your application for UI without getting help first. Luckily, you're in NJ, I can bet money that you'll get hit with "simple misconduct," and will have an 8 week waiting period before your benefits begin, but you WILL get something unlike people in other states who desperately need to get another job and fast.

Tell all your family, friends and coworkers to learn the UI system BEFORE they need it so that people stop getting cheated out of benefits because they didn't do something right or said something that they had no business saying in the first place. When you get fired, it's your employer's job to accuse you of something, prove it, and it needs to be misconduct. You don't have to do it for them, but you did, and you had the added ability of getting a doctor's note the day you went home early, and you didn't.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Your first mistake was when you knew your employer was firing you and you were still sick, you should have immediately gone to urgent care. You, as a nondoctor, don't get to tell UI that you were sick. You don't have the right credentials. So now you will be trying to convince UI that your absence and leaving early were the result of an excuseable illness without the diagnosis of a doctor. That's a tough sell.

You were fired because you were fired. Let your employer provide the reason. Many do not, but now you have made a confession. You can't say later, "well my employer never responded. I should get benefits." You did the employer's job for them, and you made an excuse for yourself, but you won't have a doctor's diagnosis to back it up.

Your fate was sealed the moment you submitted your application for UI without getting help first. Luckily, you're in NJ, I can bet money that you'll get hit with "simple misconduct," and will have an 8 week waiting period before your benefits begin, but you WILL get something unlike people in other states who desperately need to get another job and fast.

Tell all your family, friends and coworkers to learn the UI system BEFORE they need it so that people stop getting cheated out of benefits because they didn't do something right or said something that they had no business saying in the first place. When you get fired, it's your employer's job to accuse you of something, prove it, and it needs to be misconduct. You don't have to do it for them, but you did, and you had the added ability of getting a doctor's note the day you went home early, and you didn't.
I understand what you said and now I feel stressed about what I thought was the right thing but apparently not. That being said I don't get any kind of help in my favor by calling my manager and boss and explain what happened? Not sure if it matters but I have worked there for 3 years and have never had any kind of formal complaints about my work. I am actively seeking work but if I am unable to find any before the 22nd I really hope I can get unemployment. I will update if I get any new information. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,577,650 times
Quote:
I filed for unemployment on Monday after being fired on Sunday.

I'm in NJ BTW. Thanks!
Quote:
I am actively seeking work but if I am unable to find any before the 22nd I really hope I can get unemployment.
Know that it can take New Jersey up to eight weeks before it will pay. NJ will schedule an interview about 4-5 weeks from now. About a week later, you will receive a decision.

If the decision is in your favor, NJ will pay benefits retro from the week you applied.

If NJ levies an eight-week misconduct penalty, you will not be paid until the end of the ninth week after discharge.

Any way you look at this, it is very unlikely you will see any money much before the end of February. If dq'd eight weeks, you would receive your first payment for week ending March 26, payable the following week.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-29-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment