Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 PM

138 posts, read 113,250 times

Advertisements

I'm a little confused, I'm in CA, and about 3/4 way through my UI benefits. Has my employer been paying this? Or has the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Your company.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:28 PM

So they pay out of pocket?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
In CA, we pay a tax to the state of CA for unemployment based on the wages of an employee. That tax is divided into three portion, the bulk which goes into the Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund which funds your benefits. A very small portion goes to the US government to administer the system and a equally small portion goes to the state for administration.

The tax rate is similar to how insurance premiums are calculated. The more claims and the amount of claims an employer has, the higher their individual tax rate will be above the base rate. The more overall claims filed and paid, the higher the overall base rate becomes. There are also adjustment factors that come into play for those in chronic unemployment claim industries.

Certain employers can establish a trust fund themselves and pay the simplified base rate to the state and pay the actual claims directly from their own money. And we have certain exemptions from unemployment based primarily on the doctrine of "God will provide", even though most times god slams the door in their faces. Of course the federal government and DOD do not pay anything as they just reimburse the state along with a small admin fee on all their claims.

The last wallet that is tapped is of course the average taxpayer. CA EDD is the most employee friendly and probably holds more to the true intent of unemployment, so some benefits are paid directly from state funds as the state is prohibited from paying them from the UITF. These cases are when benefits are paid but the employer is not dinged because they really have no control over the claim. The administration comes from the small percentage the state keeps directly for unemployment admin and the benefits paid is via an appropriation from the state general fund.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:52 PM

So they basically have a big account, and my EDD comes from them?

Old 06-29-2016, 06:07 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEnthusiast View Post
So they basically have a big account, and my EDD comes from them?
Yes - unless it is a state-mandated benefit over which the employer has no control - such as trailing spouse. If you were laid off/terminated and were approved, the employer is paying.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM

Gotcha, well that's the way it should be. Thanks. Do they know if I'm still unemployed or not? I'm assuming so.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:15 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEnthusiast View Post
Do they know if I'm still unemployed or not?
I doubt it. There is enough lag in the reporting that they wouldn't know that you STOPPED collecting for at least 1 to 3 months. Then just because you stopped collecting doesn't mean that you got a job.

For the most part, they don't much care about you anymore, and it's not productive to waste time trying to guess what your former employer knows about you.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:18 PM

Yeah I don't care, just was kind've curious.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
I doubt it. There is enough lag in the reporting that they wouldn't know that you STOPPED collecting for at least 1 to 3 months. Then just because you stopped collecting doesn't mean that you got a job.

For the most part, they don't much care about you anymore, and it's not productive to waste time trying to guess what your former employer knows about you.

I'ts more like I'm happy that they're paying and not the tax payers. Haha.... Its one of those things that when you get laid off, you know they let go one of the good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment