Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 59,318 times

Advertisements

I was just informed by mail that I'm going to have another EDD phone interview scheduled for 8/2. The questions they're asking are as follows:

Your receipt of wages from a prior employer (current because I'm still employed part-time)
what type of payment did you receive?
How much was the payment before taxes were taken out?
What is the name and phone number of the employer making the payment?

The information you provided about your earnings
What information may have been incorrect or inadequate?
Why did you give that information?

I've been working full-time the last month and have reported every penny to the best of my knowledge. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't file immediately because I knew I didn't have any money coming, and when I checked the website it said I had till 7/20 to file for those weeks so I filed before then. The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe they figure I'm working full-time permanently and are trying to kick me off.

The last time I had an interview it was because my employer claimed I was refusing work and I ended up being disqualified for two weeks. I can't afford to be disqualified again because now all the work has dried up. Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 01:07 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv3cat View Post
I've been working full-time the last month and have reported every penny to the best of my knowledge.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't file immediately because I knew I didn't have any money coming, and when I checked the website it said I had till 7/20 to file for those weeks so I filed before then.

The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe they figure I'm working full-time permanently and are trying to kick me off.
No doubt this relates to that full-time job. How many hours worked did you indicate when you claimed those weeks? Full-time employees are not eligible for benefits. If you are working full-time hours, you shouldn't file at all. CA will close the claim. When the full-time job ends, you call CA to reopen the claim when the job ends or your hours are reduced.

If CA determines your full-time hours render you ineligible and if CA paid you anything for those weeks you filed when working full-time, CA will want that money back.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:41 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,087,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If CA determines your full-time hours render you ineligible and if CA paid you anything for those weeks you filed when working full-time, CA will want that money back.
I want to add, even if you made less than your UI benefit, full-time work doesn't get you a partial UI benefit.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:48 PM

I worked several 12 hour shifts. I think it came out to 48 hours altogether. I was only doing it because my employer had already reported me for refusing work, even though they knew I go to church on Sundays, and I was afraid they were going to do so again. As of now the work has dried up. So if that's what this is about, I have to start all over again with a new claim?

Old 07-30-2016, 01:51 PM

Thankfully, I made too much for them to pay me anything, so I won't have to pay them back. (Hopefully).

Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
even though they knew I go to church on Sundays, and I was afraid they were going to do so again.
Did you come here for help with this? Did you just take the first denial from an EDD decision? You should have appealed. There's case law on this.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:54 PM

Yes I did. any help is gratefully appreciated

Old 07-30-2016, 02:58 PM

I did not appeal original decision, didn't know I could.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:12 PM

Ok, then it's probably too late now. If you want the money, then you must appeal, and had you won, you might have been able to stop this employer from messing with your UI benefits by scheduling you on Sundays, and inflating your earnings.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:57 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
So if that's what this is about, I have to start all over again with a new claim?
No. You cannot open a new California claim until the current claim expires. Your claim has a benefit year with an expiration date. You continue to receive benefits under the existing claim until it expires. At this point, you want to resume your existing benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment