Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 28,578 times

Advertisements

I have a place that wants to let me work 25 hours a week for 15 dollars an hour. This comes out to 375 a week, unemployment is 417. Am I allowed to work here and still collect unemployment?

I try to call the unemployment line and I never get through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean24 View Post
I have a place that wants to let me work 25 hours a week for 15 dollars an hour. This comes out to 375 a week, unemployment is 417. Am I allowed to work here and still collect unemployment?

You have to report your income. I know in the state of Maryland,you are allowed to earn 100.00 a week without it affecting your UE. After that, they deduct it from your benefits. So if Texas is like Maryland,they may deduct 275.00 from your benefit amount of 417. So you would basically gross 100.00 more at this part time job than you are currently getting on UE.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean24 View Post

Bean - You can get through on the website! It does matter that it is in Texas. It's the most important detail. I would have said "......in NJ you are allowed to earn up to 20% of your WBR......." BUT in Texas you are allowed to earn 125% of your benefit amount and be able to collect the difference.

417 x 125% = 521 - 375 = 146 UI

Old 02-11-2010, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 58,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Bean - You can get through on the website! :) It does matter that it is in Texas. It's the most important detail. I would have said "......in NJ you are allowed to earn up to 20% of your WBR......." BUT in Texas you are allowed to earn 125% of your benefit amount and be able to collect the difference.

417 x 125% = 521 - 375 = 146 UI

This is very helpful to me as well, for I am in the process of a 3 part interview for a part time job. However, does anybody know if you still have to make the minimum applications per week while working part time? I am looking a 30 hours a week and an hour drive each way every day I work. It will make it kind of difficult not knowing my schedule to setup other interviews and go submit applications and resumes.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 58,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undetermined View Post
This is very helpful to me as well, for I am in the process of a 3 part interview for a part time job. However, does anybody know if you still have to make the minimum applications per week while working part time? I am looking a 30 hours a week and an hour drive each way every day I work. It will make it kind of difficult not knowing my schedule to setup other interviews and go submit applications and resumes.

Nevermind, I got through the great TWC phone lines and was told that you have to continue to apply for the minimum job requirements every week. If you are working a decent part time job and get called for any other interview, better or worse, you have to jeopardize your current job to go to the interview or you would be considered turning down work and are disqualified from unemployment. How great is that?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undetermined View Post
Yes, you do have to meet all the requirements which include being available for, able to, and actively seeking work. You should check your particular State's unemployment website for specific details regarding part-time work and maximum number of hours you can work part-time without losing your benefits.

For example in New Jersey:
For each week of benefits claimed, you must look for work. An active search for work is making at least three employer contacts weekly while unemployed. If you find part-time work with a new employer, you must continue to look for full-time work (if your unemployment claim is based on full-time work). If you do not look for full-time work, you may be ineligible for unemployment benefits.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 24,185 times
im woking for wal mart and only getting 32 hours a week can i clame unemployment insurance from my perivious job

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM

25,577 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny 45 View Post
im woking for wal mart and only getting 32 hours a week can i clame unemployment insurance from my perivious job
No. Most states will not pay UE if you are working more than 30 hours a week. Working 32 hours is considered full time - even though it's not.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,172 times
In PA full time is considered to be 40 hours per week.
Which means you could work 39.75 hours and still be eligible for UC
(you still need to report yer income week to week).

Old 12-29-2011, 04:51 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny 45 View Post
Clarification: This from the Texas Code:
Quote:
§ 207.003. BENEFITS FOR PARTIAL UNEMPLOYMENT. (a) An
eligible individual who is partially unemployed in a benefit period
is entitled to partial benefits for that benefit period.
(b) The amount of a partial benefit is computed by:
(1) adding the individual's benefit amount and the
greater of $5 or 25 percent of the benefit amount; and
(2) subtracting the amount of the wages earned by the
individual during the benefit period from the amount computed under
Subdivision (1).

Texas Labor Code - Section 207.003. Benefits For Partial Unemployment - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws
In other words, if your unemployment benefit is $200 a week, Texas will allow you to earn $250 (1.25x200) and deduct your wages from that benefit. Hypothetically, if you are employed at $8.25/hr x 32, you are earning $264 - $14 more than your benefit. Therefore, TX would pay you nothing. However, if your weekly benefit is $392 and your wages are $320, TX would pay you $170 ($392x1.25=$490, less $320=$170).

TX may also have a limit on how many hours/days you are allowed to work and still collect a partial benefit. NYS will not pay if a claimant works four days, even if it is only one hour each day. Other states say no more than 32 hours.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-29-2011 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment