U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 02:08 AM

8 posts, read 13,714 times

Advertisements

I filed a new claim for benefits starting 1/09/17. I just received a letter in the mail showing that my weekly benefits rate is $000.00

I lost my job 1/13/17 and started claiming benefits on an old claim from 04/2016 that got denied due to misconduct. When I realized that I was claiming benefits on the wrong claim, I filed a new one 1/09/17.

2016Quarter 04/01-06/30=1827.50 (started my job 05/23/16)
2016Quarter 07/01-09/30=7006.27
2016Quarter 10/01-12/31=5550.54

Requirement Reads:
The total wages for your base period are less than 1 1/2 times the total total wages for the highest quarter of earnings in your based period.

Can I just send in my W2 for to verify my earnings? I am missing a few paystubs for the first quarter that is disqualifying me from earning benefits. What are my options?

Also, I received another monetary determination in the mail a day before this notice stating that my weekly benefits rate would be $400 for the claim from last year. Am I still eligible for those benefits now that I've lost another job and filed a new claim?

I am looking forward to your replies. It is so hard getting through to customer service over the phone. I'm in New York.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 02:47 AM

14,508 posts, read 29,033,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams1989 View Post
I filed a new claim for benefits starting 1/09/17. I just received a letter in the mail showing that my weekly benefits rate is $000.00

I lost my job 1/13/17 and started claiming benefits on an old claim from 04/2016 that got denied due to misconduct. When I realized that I was claiming benefits on the wrong claim, I filed a new one 1/09/17.
You might have really botched things. The claim from 4/2016 is good for ONE year. You shouldn't have filed a new claim until 4/2017.

You were supposed to claim your benefits from the 4/2016 claim by REopening it. Chances are the misconduct disqualification was purged because you earned enough and worked enough. Go back and read that original disqualification letter.

Quote:
2016Quarter 04/01-06/30=1827.50 (started my job 05/23/16)
2016Quarter 07/01-09/30=7006.27
2016Quarter 10/01-12/31=5550.54

Requirement Reads:
The total wages for your base period are less than 1 1/2 times the total total wages for the highest quarter of earnings in your based period.

Can I just send in my W2 for to verify my earnings? I am missing a few paystubs for the first quarter that is disqualifying me from earning benefits. What are my options?

Also, I received another monetary determination in the mail a day before this notice stating that my weekly benefits rate would be $400 for the claim from last year. Am I still eligible for those benefits now that I've lost another job and filed a new claim?

I am looking forward to your replies. It is so hard getting through to customer service over the phone. I'm in New York.
I'm going to ignore all this until you figure out what it takes to purge a disqualification in NY. You're in a special place, so don't screw it up. You have from 1/9/17 to 4/2017 to collect on your old claim, and THEN you can apply again and hopefully get another 26 weeks of UI. Don't do anything that messes that up.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Thank you for you reply.

What should I do about the second monetary determination? I have my w2 to prove that I made enough for the quarter of 4/1-6/30. Should I just send that in with the reconsideration form? Or do I need the actual paystubs for those weeks?

Since I opened a new claim for the new Job, the old claim is gone, but Ive been claiming benefits on that claim thinking it was for the new job. All of this is so confusing

Old 02-19-2017, 12:06 PM

Thank you for you reply.

What should I do about the second monetary determination? I have my w2 to prove that I made enough for the quarter of 4/1-6/30. Should I just send that in with the reconsideration form? Or do I need the actual paystubs for those weeks?

Since I opened a new claim for the new Job, the old claim is gone, but Ive been claiming benefits on that claim thinking it was for the new job. All of this is so confusing🤦🏾*♀️ When I didn't get a response in the mail after 3 weeks, I was informed that I needed to start a new application

Old 02-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Should I just send that in with the reconsideration form? Or do I need the actual paystubs for those weeks?
Don't mess with making this new claim spring to life. It will cost you dearly. You've got nearly three months of benefits left from an earlier claim that sounds like it was pretty good at $400/wk. Don't flush that money down the toilet.

Quote:
Since I opened a new claim for the new Job, the old claim is gone, but Ive been claiming benefits on that claim thinking it was for the new job.
You don't know that. The claim says it's for "zero." That is usually an "invalid claim" in most any state and means that it does not exist, and you can get your old claim back in place and useable if you just explain things properly to a UI worker, or appeal the monetary determination that shows "zero" by following the appeal instructions so that you can try to get this in front of someone that understands what is happening to you.

I told you, get that older disqualification letter and type it in. It tells you what you needed to do to purge the earlier disqualification. Those are the steps you want to follow.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:07 PM

I haven't gotten any benefits from either claim. I'm just frustrated and don't understand anything that's going on. One is saying I don't qualify because my base quarter is too low, another is showing me an estimate weekly amount of $400 that isn't guaranteed. I'm not sure whether I'm suppose to send in a monetary reconsideration form or an alternate base quarter request. I need to speak to someone physically because I'm not understanding anything. Sorry to waist your time. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and all I'm worried about is having enough money to support my 2 children.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:33 PM

You need that letter from the earlier disqualification. NY has two kinds of disqualification. One allows it to be purged, and the other cancels wage credits. If the former, you can get a whole lot more money.

Talking to someone at NY DOL will NOT help you, until YOU know what you need to do, so you say it right and get the most money you're entitled to. They will gladly use double talk on you to get you to agree to less than you could have gotten, or maybe none at all.

You do NOT want this new claim. You want to pick up where you left off on the older claim. Forget the "reconsideration" at this point or sending in paystubs.

GET that letter, and type it in. At this point, I won't believe your paraphrasing because I can tell you have no clue as to the significance of what the letter would mean, and I want to read if for myself so I can tell you what your choices are.

UI is a complex beast. As it stands now, don't count on getting money anytime soon.

However, if you want to do what you believe is expedient, then you don't need our help.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:41 PM

5/9/16

Notice of determination

No unemployment insurance benefits will be paid to you for the. Beginning March 21, 2016 until you have subsequently worked for an employer and earned at least 10 times your weekly benefit rate. Employment and earnings from non-covered, excluded or self employment will not count. Your weekly benefit rate is $400.

Determination

You were discharged for misconduct in connection with your employment with the above employer .
Because of this determination you will not be able to use your wages from this employer before March 21, 2016 to collect unemployment insurance benefits in the future.

Reason
You were discharged because on 3/20/16 you were involved in a fight with a coworker.

This was my determination for last year. When I filed a new claim in January of this year there were two claims on my weekly benefit rate determination. Last year's claim still read $400 and this year's claim read zero dollars because my basic base quarter didn't meet the qualifications.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:46 PM

Four weeks after receiving this notice I was employed again. I've been working at my previous job from May 23, 2016 until January 13, 2017. I stopped cleaning weekly benefits after they disqualified me for misconduct. I started claiming again in January when I thought that I filed a claim. When I didn't hear anything back, I was informed that I was claiming on an old case and that I needed to fill out a new application.

After filling out the new application I got the monetary determination that I would be receiving zero dollars for the new claim.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Beginning March 21, 2016 until you have subsequently worked for an employer and earned at least 10 times your weekly benefit rate.
I think that you did this. NY did NOT cancel your wage credits. This is very fortunate for you. You can collect the money from this claim until it expires around Mar 21, 2017, or you exhaust it's value whichever comes first. (I think you'll run out of time based on you saying that you didn't get any money from it.)

Quote:
I was informed that I was claiming on an old case and that I needed to fill out a new application.
Who told you that? You shouldn't have been filing a "new" claim. States call it "RE"opening a claim or filing for an "additional" claim.

Quote:
After filling out the new application I got the monetary determination that I would be receiving zero dollars for the new claim.
Yes, but you also made it sound like you got a second letter that affirmed the $400/wk benefit a day or two before.

What does that letter say?

You'll want to find out exactly when the Mar 21, 2016, claim expires because if you're still out of work around Mar 21, 2017, you'll want to apply for a NEW claim at that time, and have it filed before Mar 31 before the quarters shift. By then this most recent employer that let you go will have reported all your wages, and you won't have to mess with paystubs. Then you'll have a decision to make: do you take a claim based on a standard base period or going with an alternate base period. You'll just have to decide what is best for you based on how much larger your weekly benefit will be, how many weeks it pays, and how many quarters of wages it consumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment