Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 PM

5 posts, read 18,549 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I followed the advice to not answer the EDD phone interview call. EDD persisted and kept rescheduling my interview. Not sure how many times they will reschedule. Anybody experienced that?

Also, if I eventually go to an appeal, what's a good explanation for not answering the multiple calls.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 PM

13,040 posts, read 20,693,569 times
The hearing is de novo so nothing related to EDD trying to call you for an interview will come up.

Your appeal is based on the specific actions surrounding the termination of your employment. If EDD wants to disqualify you over not taking the call, they would need to make a specific determination on that and since there is no regulations requiring you to take the call, they know they have no chance of ever wining at an appeal.

However, when you say they keep rescheduling, how are they doing this rescheduling? What was the circumstances of your unemployment? On rare occasions, the "interview" is actually to make sure you will get benefits so there could be a legitimate reason to take the call.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 AM

Thanks Rabrrita for the quick response.

First voicemail from EDD told me that they had rescheduled it after I missed the call. I can also see it on UI online. Second reschedule has no voicemail, I saw it on UI online.

I was fired but there was no misconduct or warning. Yes, I am wondering if I should take the 3rd call. However, I know taking a call risk shooting myself in the foot. My former employer said they will not contest. So, appeal is definitely a safer route.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM

13,040 posts, read 20,693,569 times
Unless EDD is changing how they operate, normally you get a call and if you miss it, they may (and I stress may) try a second time. the only time they really try to speak with you is if the employer has not responded. If the employer has not responded, they are hoping you say something that disqualifies you. But if they can't reach the employer and they can't reach you, they really can't deny.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:46 PM

That may be the case - they can't reach anyone. I will find out and let you know. With low unemployment in CA, I guess EDD has more time :-) And appeals always cost them more. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2018, 02:37 PM

14,504 posts, read 30,903,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytecoin View Post
And appeals always cost them more.
Oh, no. Paying your claim, costs the most. EDD workers are very good at getting claimants to disqualify themselves. That's why we don't want anyone talking to an EDD worker because more often than not, it just makes it worse.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:47 AM

Thanks Chyvan! That's true. The claim costs the most. The EDD worker also left a voicemail with a long list of questions. I am sure he can come up even more followup questions. A trained professional vs me, who just starting to learn all these EDD stuff. I think I have a high chance saying something to disqualify or penalize myself. The EDD worker definitely has an advantage. I will stick to my plan and not answer the next scheduled EDD interview call. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Hi, it works. I got my first payment and the debit card. Thanks for all the help.

I have seen others posted EDD interview once in a while after a few months of receiving benefits. Should I ignore these future interviews too? Assuming I still couldn't find a job, continue to certify for my benefits on UI Online and have no income.

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:23 AM

14,504 posts, read 30,903,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytecoin View Post
I have seen others posted EDD interview once in a while after a few months of receiving benefits.
You'd need to link to those threads. Once the decision is made to pay benefits, you won't get any more calls regarding the separation. Any further contact regarding this issue would be by mail to advise you that the employer has requested a hearing, and the issues, the date, time, and location of the hearing.

Doesn't mean they won't call about a different topic, but it's very unlikely. Most anything else always starts with a letter, and after reading the letter, you can decide if you want to take the call or not depending on the issue and whether you think you have the right answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment