U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 12,147 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I did not seem to find an answer directly to my question so I wanted to post this question.

I have been on unemployment since November 2017 and I found a full time job, thank god!

My question is, when i complete my continued cert form, which in CA web cert is 2 weeks at a time,
I did not work for the first week of certification, but I started earning on Monday which is the second week part of the form.

I honestly do not want EDD to end up calling my new employer or contacting them as I have read in this forum and several other places that when you report earnings on a new job, EDD has a glitch or bug that notifies the employer about a claim being open against them.

How would I get paid for the week I was not earning, and end up not reporting or if I can abandon UI, but only get the one week payment? I would prefer not to choose to do a paper claim form - and tomorrow is the claim due date to certify.
I am in California
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 11:43 PM

14,508 posts, read 28,723,568 times
Just mark on the second week that you "did NOT look for work," that you were "NOT available for work."

Then stop submitting claim forms.

However, I don't think it has anything to do with your claim forms that cause EDD to contact employers. It's the New Hire Database, and all the others before you that lie up a storm when reporting earnings and hours. Even if you don't divulge your employer now, EDD is going to find out later. What you should really be worried about is if EDD contacting an employer cause a new hire to be fired. If not, then so what?

Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 12,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Just mark on the second week that you "did NOT look for work," that you were "NOT available for work."

However, I don't think it has anything to do with your claim forms that cause EDD to contact employers. It's the New Hire Database, and all the others before you that lie up a storm when reporting earnings and hours. Even if you don't divulge your employer now, EDD is going to find out later. What you should really be worried about is if EDD contacting an employer cause a new hire to be fired. If not, then so what?
Thanks for your response! I will do it that way.

Thanks again

Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 12,543 times
Quote:

I've used the search option to try to pull up similar issues to mine and try to get a solution, this thread fits my bill. My question is will claiming "did not look for work", cause EDD to not pay out the 5 days which i did not work? My job would begin on a saturday.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 PM

If the job starts on Saturday, in all probability you'd be entitled to partial UI benefits.

If you do not look for work, then they aren't going to pay you anything for that week.

If you want your money, look for work and meet the requirements until the job starts. It's that easy.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,543 times
Quote:
If the job starts on Saturday, in all probability you'd be entitled to partial UI benefits.

If you do not look for work, then they aren't going to pay you anything for that week.

If you want your money, look for work and meet the requirements until the job starts. It's that easy.
I've should have added that the reason I ask is because I also do want to avoid the same issue OP stated about causing EDD to contact my new employer saying that i opened a claim against them when in reality im just claiming the unworked days. I recently became aware that it will be 2 days unworked and most likely 5 days full time hours, is it still worth certifying for that week?

Old 05-24-2019, 09:15 PM

You can't help the employer being contacted. There's a thing called the New Hire Database that was originally created to track down deadbeat parents, but is used for pretty much everything but finding the parents.

Because of all the people before you that claimed UI until the first payday instead of the first day of work, EDD is going to check with the employer to make sure that you didn't pull the same stunt.

Just claim the benefits for which you are entitled, and know that there is nothing you can do to stop EDD from contacting your new employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment