Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 768 times

Advertisements

So, I was let go from my job in May 2019, I applied for Unemployment, my employer denied this so I was assigned a case worker who called me to get my side of the story. I gave it, and within 3 weeks I was starting to receive unemployment -- including a lump sum for all of June that I hadn't received.

In total I received June and July .. fortunately, I was able to find another job and my last claim date was Aug.4 (I started said job Aug 5) -- this past weekend I receive paperwork in the mail that my old employer wants a hearing because they don't agree with the outcome.

I'm not even claiming benefits anymore!! I haven't in 2 weeks (I read that after you don't claim for 4 weeks the case is closed) -- I have a new job and have NO PTO to take to go to this hearing. I'm sick of this and want it all behind me. I thought it WAS behind me.

Now I have to wait 1-2 weeks for the letter to come in the mail with the date/time of the hearing. I've been told that there's no way I will have to pay back what they've given me (about $4000) but if that's the case, then why wouldn't the case just be thrown out since I no longer am claiming? My case is still "active" because it hasn't closed yet, so I'm assuming my old employer thinks they're still paying me...would I really have to pay this all back? I had bills to pay so that money is long gone - I don't know what to do, or how to go about this. I'm so upset/angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 03:04 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,116,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlescooter33 View Post
I've been told that there's no way I will have to pay back what they've given me (about $4000) but if that's the case, then why wouldn't the case just be thrown out since I no longer am claiming? My case is still "active" because it hasn't closed yet, so I'm assuming my old employer thinks they're still paying me...would I really have to pay this all back? I had bills to pay so that money is long gone - I don't know what to do, or how to go about this. I'm so upset/angry.
If your former employer appeals your determination and win, you will have to pay back every penny you have received so far. Not sure who told you that heap of BS but you shouldn't listen to them anymore. You case is closed 24 months after it was initially opened unless fraud is involved which extends it to 7 years.

However, all is not lost. What we need is the details such as date of termination, reason, what contact you had with unemployment, the dates they approved your benefits and the date your former employer filed the appeal.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:27 PM

13 posts, read 14,161 times
Question: Can a lawyer "stand in" for you for such a meeting? I know no one is a better advocate than themselves, given they know the ins/outs of the situation (their side)... but, since the employer has to submit a file of accusations and such, could one give their rebuttal proof to their lawyer?

Old 08-19-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATeacherMan123 View Post
Question: Can a lawyer "stand in" for you for such a meeting? I know no one is a better advocate than themselves, given they know the ins/outs of the situation (their side)... but, since the employer has to submit a file of accusations and such, could one give their rebuttal proof to their lawyer?
The attorney can not testify to first hand facts as it's hearsay, just like someone from HR can't testify as to what a claimant said to a manager of they were not present. They can present documentation that is verifiable but can not actually speak for the claimant.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The attorney can not testify to first hand facts as it's hearsay, just like someone from HR can't testify as to what a claimant said to a manager of they were not present. They can present documentation that is verifiable but can not actually speak for the claimant.
My company won’t even be there to testify, their “3rd party entity” will - someone who doesn’t know me, my job, or was there when I was let go!

Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 PM

If they are using a cost mitigation company, all you have to do is object to any testimony that is hearsay. That would leave only written documentation that is verifiable and authenticated providing it's also not hearsay. But, you have to object so it's on the record otherwise the ALJ will take it to mean you agree with what is being said or presented. You are under no obligation to say anything once the employer has concluded their say if you prevented them from making a valid case against you. However it's difficult to object if absent from the hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment