Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 07:31 AM

1,185 posts, read 750,679 times

Advertisements

Your only hope is that nobody from the restaurant responds. TX is a notoriously employer-friendly state and you have multiple issues that will stack against you.

The advice would be to get a job as fast as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 07:35 AM

54 posts, read 47,984 times
This is some bs. If my benefits is less than 50% of what I was making and I am trying to supplement the other 50% and get penalized for it, then why even bother working or trying?

Can I just call them and said "My bad, I forgot to claim the $240 because I got drunk once or twice and was an idiot and forgot. Here is the overpayment and let me continue my service so I don't have to sell my house."

Old 12-13-2019, 07:45 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMeTuna View Post
then why even bother working or trying?
EXACTLY. You do NOT do crap work on UI. If you want to supplement, you get the money by NOT working like selling stuff, draining savings, or renting a room in your house.

Working creates separation issues left and right that need to be adjudicated in your favor. You will make a mistake if you do it enough.

You get a REAL job that gets you off the system. You look for work that is about as good or BETTER than you had before.

You can take the crap work AFTER the UI runs out because some money is better than no money, but the wrong job vs a UI check isn't so clear cut.

You could have asked all this when you lost your job. I would have told you how this works.

Tell your 5 roommates, and spread the word. UI does NOT work like most people think it does.

It is NOT a sympathy system. The state doesn't pay you the money because they feel sorry for you. They do it because the law says they HAVE to. They look for every conceivable reason NOT to pay, and only when they can't find one, do they release the money.

LEARN this.

Quote:
Can I just call them and said "My bad, I forgot to claim the $240 because I got drunk once or twice and was an idiot and forgot. Here is the overpayment and let me continue my service so I don't have to sell my house."
NO! because then the next question is going to be "why aren't you working there anymore," and that is the question for which you don't have a good answer.

Just see what happens. If I were your UI worker, I'd be asking the employer for the cancelled check because I know that employer's lie, but I doubt a TX UI worker is going to care, but you never know.

Last edited by Chyvan; 12-13-2019 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-13-2019, 07:56 AM

My roommates are just college/graduate students, but I will refer them to this page when and if the time comes.

Is it just a waiting game now? Should I tell the employer to cancel the checks? They have not been cashed, at least not by me.

I saw on one the post to email or click on a link for EDD, I don't even know what it stands for, and adjust my week's claim, even after they caught me. Is it too late?

Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Is it just a waiting game now? Should I tell the employer to cancel the checks? They have not been cashed, at least not by me.
NO! because then the employer is going to hunt you down, and mail them to you and save proof that they did, and then whether you cashed them or not won't matter.

Right now, they did NOT pay you. They are still in possession of the check(s). They have not been cashed.

Quote:
I saw on one the post to email or click on a link for EDD, I don't even know what it stands for, and adjust my week's claim, even after they caught me. Is it too late?
You're in TX. You shouldn't have anything that says "EDD" on your screens. TWC is the agency that administers the UI system in TX.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:48 AM

I don't have anything that says EDD on my screen, saw it on a post here about emailing them about the mistake.

In this situation, how long will it take for unemployment to make the final decision?

Old 12-13-2019, 11:44 AM

Could be weeks.

Your story is so ugly that if you try to speed things up, you could just speed yourself right into a denial from which there is no hope of winning at a hearing.

You'll know long before you get the letter because your suspended payments will flip to "disqualified."

Chose wisely.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:09 PM

I read on another post that someone had an option of returning the money to PT employer and asking them not to report, is that possible?

If not, I will continue to file for benefits and update y'all on the outcome. I have read many many threads with your response on it, I will follow your suggestions.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I read on another post that someone had an option of returning the money to PT employer and asking them not to report, is that possible?
How are you going to return the tip money to the customers?

Yes, you can do it, but there's no guarantee the employer is going to go along with it.

I don't know what percentage of your benefits is hitting their reserve account, but $240 is chump change in comparison to your UI claim. If I were your employer, I'd tell you, "no," and I'd immediately put your check in the mail and try to hang you out to dry.

Do NOT get your employer involved in your UI matters.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:40 PM

The restaurant was going to keep the tip money. I doubt they will go along with it since I am no longer willing to help them, but when I did help them, it got me in this predicament. Either way, they do not care.

I honestly can't find my determination letter. I was laid off back in 12/2018, filed, got a job on 1/29/29, then got laid off 9 months later. When I filed, I put down the latest company, I wonder, are they going off of benefits remaining instead of the latest company? I have my determination letter for the first company, the payment amount is the same.

It has been a crap year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment