Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 01:05 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times

Advertisements

A claim is good for 52 weeks. The claim you had in 12/18 is still the one you are working on.

It's going to expire in 12/2019.

You need to apply for a NEW claim the day after this one expires. You'll have a new benefit amount. It will be based on a new base period.

The claim from 12/2018 was base on wages from July 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018. Were you working at the restaurant during that period of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 01:26 PM

54 posts, read 47,984 times
Chyvan, why would they go off my old benefits? I am looking at the letter and it says that it will expire on 12/21/2019. I did not work at any restaurants at that time. I was at the FT job from 8/2017 to 12/2018. What will happen to the remaining amount, which is $6,591?

If I file for a new claim, which company is it going to hit? How will my 3 working days affect my new claim?

Goodmas, what am I suppose to do with the fatherless store?

Old 12-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMeTuna View Post
Chyvan, why would they go off my old benefits?
Because it's a valid claim, and it's good for 52 weeks.

Quote:
What will happen to the remaining amount, which is $6,591?
It will disappear.

It's why you need to get your UI when you can. It's not some bank account.

Quote:
If I file for a new claim, which company is it going to hit? How will my 3 working days affect my new claim?
The separation issue controls whether you get benefits or not. ALL employers in the base period pay.

The 3 days is your NEW last employer. If it's determined that you quit without good cause or were fired for misconduct, then you're not going to collect on the new claim until you purge the disqualification by working for 6 weeks or earning 6 times your weekly benefit amount from a new employer and having a new nondisqualifying separation.

Had you pulled this stunt 2 months ago, I'd have told you to pound the pavement looking for a Christmas help job because you'd have probably been able to reset everything and undo your mistake and Christmas help comes with a nice clean layoff reducing the chance that "retail" will become your new career.

If you get bad news, I might advise you to work for a temp agency as a last ditch effort, but temp agencies have another set of rules that I'd rather not get into unless you fail.

If, as I'm hoping, it's concluded that you never worked that 3 day stint because you weren't paid, there was no cancelled check, and the employer is going to have a lot of explaining to do for not mailing you the check, then it will be as though you never worked that job, and everything will be based on your prior job, and since that separation was already adjudicated, your new claim will just be a monetary calculation to determine your new benefit amount with a new base period.

Quote:
Goodmas, what am I suppose to do with the fatherless store?
It's spam.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:00 PM

What will happen with my old claim and the 3 days stunt since they wanted me to call in? Since it will expire, are they going to drop the investigation? It really sucks that I will lose that money, but I took the FT job because I was worried about an employment gap and unemployment wasn't much anyways. Now, I have not had much luck finding a job in my field and need money.

When I file this new claim, if i remember correctly from before, just click on my last FT employer. That should do it, I hope.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
What will happen with my old claim and the 3 days stunt since they wanted me to call in?

They HAVE to adjudicate it. It wouldn't matter if you had one week left to go.

Quote:
Since it will expire, are they going to drop the investigation?
No, because you'll be filing for a NEW claim after this one expires. You need to continue on doing what you're supposed to be doing until it becomes pointless, and I never recommend that until AFTER the first hearing and you get a losing decision.

Quote:
When I file this new claim, if i remember correctly from before, just click on my last FT employer. That should do it, I hope.
You apply just like you did in 12/2018.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:22 PM

The investigation will continue for my old claim, hopefully no one from the restaurant answers. I will file a new claim, probably have to do a phone interview and wait for a decision, which looks like it will take a month.

I am never getting a second job again.

Do you think this will all work out?

Old 12-13-2019, 02:32 PM

For the new claim, just said "fired" instead of "laid off" correct?

Old 12-13-2019, 03:17 PM

One thing I realized, I will eventually have to pick up my W2 for the several months that I worked PT. I am sure they will try to hand me my check then. I do not see any light out of this.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Do you think this will all work out?
No, but I've been wrong before.

Quote:
I am never getting a second job again.
It just depends on the second job. You usually don't want one while on UI so you need to quit the part-time job if you sense trouble on your primary job, but I won't dispute that working ONE job is the safer course of action.

Quote:
For the new claim, just said "fired" instead of "laid off" correct?
Depends. If the 3-day stint goes away, then the new claim will be based off the old, and if you were laid off, then you can say laid off, and if you were fired, then say fired. Remember, it's already been done on the old job. It's only a problem IF the 3-day job just doesn't go away.

Quote:
One thing I realized, I will eventually have to pick up my W2 for the several months that I worked PT. I am sure they will try to hand me my check then. I do not see any light out of this.
That will happen in late January. This issue will be resolved long before then. If they give you the check, then shred it when you get home. Do NOT sign a receipt for it.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:50 PM

What if they won't give me my W2 unless I sign for my checks?

I feel that there should be a change with the way these benefits work. It doesn't make sense to me to be punished for trying to supplement the other missing half income, more or less, of what I was making since unemployment is only paying about half. If I take a bs job just to make it by, then I lose my benefits. I think this whole process is crazy.

Although I am thankful that we do have this system in place because half pay is better than no pay, it could be done better to help people out of a hole.

Not to be mess anything up, here should be my next steps?:
1. Still do not call in

2. Still file for payment request on my old claim (Next payment request date is 12/22)

3. File for new claim on 12/22 and put "laid off" (old claim expires on 12/21)

4. Do not take any phone calls
5. Wait for the new claim, which should be able a month

6. As for the potential payment of the old claim, I will update you on that. If I have a hearing, I am tempted to say that I tried to work there to supplement my income, and since I worked PT before while being employed FT I did not think it would relate, which I do believe. I am getting unemployment for my FT job, not PT. And something along the line of "how do you expect me to survive when I am only getting half of what I used to make? I don't live a lavish lifestyle but my lifestyle is what I was making. What do you want me to do? Do you think I really want to be a server?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment