Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2020, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,397 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a flight on monday 3 am, leaving for Philippines and live there with my family for one month. I'm unemployed and claiming the weekly benefits. I was supposed to call the DOL to notify them of my flight but I didn't know there's no office hours on saturday and monday is my flight. So I won't be able to call them before I leave. Also tried the last minute because I was so stressed out from changing my flight due to the corona virus scare. Now I have the option to re-book it on tuesday so I can call them on monday but it will cost a lot, $500. Should I just go with my flight? Maybe try to call them on the plane or in my country to notify them and claim again when I get back? I know that it is prohibited to claim outside the US. Or should I not risk disqualification and re-book but $500 is just too much for me now. I already sent an email to them on the login labor site.

"Hi,

Today is saturday of 3/7/20. I didn't know that there's no work hours on claims center on saturday. I was supposed to call to notify about leaving for my country and live there for one month and come back here to find a job again. The reason for leaving is that I need to find my special child (with autism) a new nanny to take care of him. But my wife is the only one who's working for us and supporting us in my country. So when I get back, I will still need to claim to sustain my life here while I look for a new job. Please don't disqualify my claim for missing to call. I will not claim during my stay in my country Philippines. Please consider. Attached is my flight ticket.

Sincerely,"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 05:16 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,107,425 times
You need to reread the book.

The call is to ASK DOL if it's ok to claim while out of the country. The answer will be NO.

You don't have to call them to tell them you are leaving.

So long as you do NOT file a claim form from the Philippines, you'll be just fine.

When you get back, you call DOL to REopen your claim, and then pick up where you left off. Take your flight.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You need to reread the book.

The call is to ASK DOL if it's ok to claim while out of the country. The answer will be NO.

You don't have to call them to tell them you are leaving.

So long as you do NOT file a claim form from the Philippines, you'll be just fine.

When you get back, you call DOL to REopen your claim, and then pick up where you left off. Take your flight.
Thank you! That took off the thorn on my throat. Because it says on the book "If you will be traveling for vacation or personal reasons, you cannot claim and receive benefits for the time you are gone. To protect your rights, you must contact us before you travel..."

Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,107,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmoon24 View Post
"To protect your rights, you must contact us before you travel..."
This part may be for say a Wall Street Banker that has dual citizenship or the right to work in the financial district in London. In a case like that, the person could maybe call and see if it would be ok to attend an interview in London and still get benefits, but I'm still sure that NY DOL would say, "no," because then they'd say, "The UK isn't a signatory to the IBPP, and we can't verify the work search. . . blah, blah, blah."

Old 03-07-2020, 09:10 PM

I see. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment