Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 02:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,208,974 times

Advertisements

I would fire whoever is in charge of EDD in CA. I envision them having endless meetings where nothing actually gets done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 04:12 PM

66 posts, read 67,040 times
Just waiting for Julie Su to surface. Trying to keep the post active.
This is from that Reddit thread , says they work for EDD.

When is the 13 week extension coming (PEUC) - As soon as we can implement it. We don't have a timeline yet. Our implementation priorities for the CARES Act were $600 > PUA > PEUC. Now that PUA is available, we're focusing on PEUC around the clock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unemploymen...ing_im_an_edd/

Old 05-05-2020, 05:11 PM

This is one of her/his answers. Does this make sense saying PEUC isn't for ended claims? This wasn't my understanding.

Quote:
Q: Me benefit year just ended yesterday that was already exhausted. Do I start a new claim now? And will I get retroactive payments for the past plus the $600? Asking because they haven’t said anything about PEUC

A: If your benefit year ended yesterday, file a new claim online today. Based on your responses (and our records) you may be eligible for a new UI claim if you earned sufficient w2 wages in your new base period, or if you haven't, you may qualify for PUA. If you are eligible for a† least $1 per week, you will receive the $ 600. PEUC is only for claims where the benefit year hasn't expired, and the claim is exhausted, and only for claims exhausted in certain complicated windows.

Q: At first I thought I was going to receive PEUC, since my claim was exhausted in my base period, but nothing was ever announced. Now that I’m in the new base period, I will get just PUA and backpay?

A: Very complicated and we shuld address this when the PEUC guidance comes out. Essentially you should file ano†her claim if your benefit year has ended, and we will determine if, going forward, you are eligible for PUA or a regular UI claim. If your benefit year hasnt elapsed, please be patient for th PEUC guidance.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:14 PM

My claim ended April 4th so I already filed a new claim April 6. They send me letter with the amount I would receive and then nothing since. I know I don't qualify for a new UI claim since I don't have a new "separation." I listed the same company as my original claim. I do have additional earnings from that same company in Jan-March 2019 before I was laid off.

Her answer is making me think that I don't qualify for PEUC.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 5,559 times
I'm in the same boat I have wages for the first quarter of 2019 and my benefit year has expired May 2nd as well as exhausted all benefits. the only thing I understand is I am to file for a new claim since I cannot get any more benefits from the last claim.

I put my same reason for separation along with my same employer.

The question is will this new claim filed be an automatic extension for Puec ? Or will this actually be another UI claim + Puec? Because you can't get an extension for an expired claim right? So the only thing to do is go right into another UI claim if you have wages for the new base period.

And if you don't have new wages then your UI claim filed would turn into PUA+PUEC.
This is very confusing. I'm supposed to get a call back within the next two days in regards to my claim I filed.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:42 PM

66 posts, read 67,040 times
Yes, the poster saying
(PEUC is only for claims where the benefit year hasn't expired, and the claim is exhausted, and only for claims exhausted in certain complicated windows) is new and questionable.

If it comes down to PUA , would they accept that base quarter in 2019 (Where UI would not?) and a new 26 plus 13 new claim?
The weekly would be lower but you could go retro to Feb 2 and get the full 4 months of the $600.00, maybe.

I thought the reasoning behind making PEUC retro to July 2019 is if you exhausted 26 weeks in the last 8 months you may not have a new eligible quarter to qualify for a new UI claim.

Julie Su said they were struggling to figure out how to bridge the gap and pay PEUC for exhausted claims before FEB 2.

I am going with they just started working on the PEUC in the last week and have not really got a handle on it. They can reach out to the states that have successfully rolled out PEUC as a model.
I am sure we will get an update this week.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:36 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,739,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
My claim ended April 4th so I already filed a new claim April 6. They send me letter with the amount I would receive and then nothing since. I know I don't qualify for a new UI claim since I don't have a new "separation." I listed the same company as my original claim. I do have additional earnings from that same company in Jan-March 2019 before I was laid off.

Her answer is making me think that I don't qualify for PEUC.
I don't like the answers she provided for both questions. Again I wasn't under the impression that PEUC extensions would be tied to one of the COVID reasons that are listed for PUA claims. And many exhausters don't fit into one of the listed PUA COVID reasons yet still have exhausted benefits and/or exhaust benefit years. Why do I feel like those in this category may be left swinging in the wind. I've definitely been rooting for states that have expressly differentiated between PEUC and PUA. Does anyone else read it this way?

Old 05-06-2020, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 5,559 times
I know I literally had to check mark none of these apply yet I marked this covid pandemic has affected me, I should have put the day that my claim expired but I really didn't think about that because I put the day that we went on lockdown since that pretty much ended all of my interviews looking for work etc. so I don't know if this is going to Mark confusion filing a new claim. I got my unemployment on an appeal reasonable claim for quitting a job since my mother has cancer I had to go back to a rural area where my job was not present, and take her to a few treatments a week, so they gave it to me. and now I'm not sure how they're going to look at me since this is going based off of a prior claim

Old 05-07-2020, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art79red View Post
I'm supposed to get a call back within the next two days in regards to my claim I filed.
Did they call? Also, how did you get any type of scheduled call back?

I have yet to speak to a live person, although I admit I gave up after 5 weeks of trying.

The one time I actually got someone, she hung up.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:56 AM

I'm going with the idea that the women/man posting on Reddit might not be in the loop of accurate info on PEUC. I'm sure there are a lot of rumors circulating the EDD offices.

Someone asked her about CTB and she said something to the effect of that being out of her area of expertise. So maybe she's just doing the very basic functions having to do with filing regular claims. She's not in the meetings about PEUC so she doesn't really have any info on it.

It wouldn't make any sense at all if CA (or any other state) goes rogue and does something completely different than the other states that have PEUC up and running.

Last edited by Scal2010; 05-07-2020 at 04:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment