U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 33,766 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone.

Has anyone come across a situation on the CA UI online website when after you submitted your "Reopen your claim" request, you saw the message that the "request" is received and then a day later, you logged back into CA UI online and the "Notification" message now says to "Reopen your claim"?

What happened with me was that I submitted my "Reopen claim" request on Saturday, 4/18/2020 around 2:00 PM.

I saw the "Notification" message on the main UI online page, saying that the request has been received.

Then, on Sunday, 4/19/2020, I logged back into UI online and now it says:

"Reopen Your Claim

If you have not certified for benefits for a period of time or you have never certified during this benefit year, you must reopen your claim.
"

Questions:
(1) Does this mean that my "reopen claim" request did not get received? Like, there's a cutoff point to submit it by.

(2) Should I give CA EDD a call, during the early morning, to confirm if it's been received or should I just try and resubmit the "reopen claim" request again?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 07:18 PM

14,413 posts, read 28,048,129 times
Go ahead and do it again.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:21 AM

Thanks. It worked. I resubmitted again on Monday, 4/20/2020 and the notification message changed and remained as "request received" for up through Saturday. However, after that, it reverted back to the "Reopen your claim" message.

It seems there's a time limit for the "reopen claim" request where it expires after Saturday.

I'll just keep resubmitting my "reopen claim" request or have to make a call with the CA EDD to see what's going on.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:30 PM

26 posts, read 21,431 times
I had the same issue after my identity was verified.

I was wary of re-opening the claim, so I called and spoke with a representative who fixed it and pushed my weeks that I last certified for and had eligibility to "paid." They also opened up the next weeks to certify for those as well.

I would highly recommend talking to a representative, despite the call wait time.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:54 AM

17 posts, read 14,751 times
how did you get through? WHich prompts?

Old 04-28-2020, 12:23 PM

Yes, as Cali2020 asked.

To SFGiants12 - how did you get through on the phone call with CA EDD? Which prompts (phone number key(s)) did you select to reach a representative?

Here's what happened to me when calling the CA EDD main phone line (1-800-333-5616):

There are times I get the automated message about CA EDD is getting more calls than the capacity to pick them up and then my call ended.

There are other times, I followed through the prompts to "re-open my claim" on the phone and then get transferred to the phone line queue to be picked by a representative. However, when I do get transferred to this queue, I get the message that there are other calls before me and my call ends right there.

I don't remember exactly what the numbers were to get to that queue. But, I think it was something like this:

"1" - to continue in English, "3" - file a new claim / re-open claim, "5" - for re-open claim info, "7" - to re-open claim, and then be instructed to enter some info about myself and then be told that you're now being transferred to the phone queue to speak with a representative.

So, far I haven't received much luck in reaching a representative on the phone.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:23 PM

UPDATE: It seems as of today, Saturday, 5/16/2020, I went to the UI online website and saw that the notification message is changed to where I can certify for benefits on my "re-opened claim" by a certain date.

What happened to me this time around is that on Sunday, 5/3/2020, I submitted again the "re-open claim" request via clicking the [Reopen your claim] button on the UI online website.

After Saturday, 5/9/2020, the UI website's notification message did change back to where I have to click the [Reopen your claim] button.

However, at that time, I did NOT click the [Reopen your claim] button and just waited up till Saturday, 5/16/2020 to check to see if anything changed on the UI online website and it was right then that I saw the new UI online message about "certifying for benefits" on my re-opened claim.

I did not make any phone calls on the CA EDD customer service hotline for this to happen since it's hard to get a hold of any CA EDD representative about it.

Also, this similar situation did happen to another person where she clicked the [reopen your claim] button on the UI online website to submit the reopen claim request on 4/20/2020, just waited for about 10 days, and got a new update on 4/30/2020 that she can certify for UI benefits. There seem to be a waiting period of about 10 business days after reopening your claim and even for filing a new claim (I presume).

This is just to inform anyone that if you are reopening your claim on the UI online website, just wait for around 10 business days plus/minus (that's around 2 weeks) to see if the UI online notification message is changed to say that you can "certify for benefits."

So, even when the UI online website's notification is changed back to "reopen your claim" after the Saturday of the 1st week of submitting the reopen claim request, just wait up to around the 10th business day (or some time at the end of the 2nd week) to see if there's the new UI online notification message about certifying for UI benefits.

I hope this helps in clearing up the confusion on this type of situation on the UI online website in reopening a claim.

I'll post more updates on any new changes to me regarding this particular issue.

Last edited by amin25; 05-16-2020 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-16-2020, 10:46 PM

957 posts, read 280,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amin25 View Post
UPDATE: It seems as of today, Saturday, 5/16/2020, I went to the UI online website and saw that the notification message is changed to where I can certify for benefits on my "re-opened claim" by a certain date.

What happened to me this time around is that on Sunday, 5/3/2020, I submitted again the "re-open claim" request via clicking the [Reopen your claim] button on the UI online website.

After Saturday, 5/9/2020, the UI website's notification message did change back to where I have to click the [Reopen your claim] button.

However, at that time, I did NOT click the [Reopen your claim] button and just waited up till Saturday, 5/16/2020 to check to see if anything changed on the UI online website and it was right then that I saw the new UI online message about "certifying for benefits" on my re-opened claim.

I did not make any phone calls on the CA EDD customer service hotline for this to happen since it's hard to get a hold of any CA EDD representative about it.

Also, this similar situation did happen to another person where she clicked the [reopen your claim] button on the UI online website to submit the reopen claim request on 4/20/2020, just waited for about 10 days, and got a new update on 4/30/2020 that she can certify for UI benefits. There seem to be a waiting period of about 10 business days after reopening your claim and even for filing a new claim (I presume).

This is just to inform anyone that if you are reopening your claim on the UI online website, just wait for around 10 business days plus/minus (that's around 2 weeks) to see if the UI online notification message is changed to say that you can "certify for benefits."

So, even when the UI online website's notification is changed back to "reopen your claim" after the Saturday of the 1st week of submitting the reopen claim request, just wait up to around the 10th business day (or some time at the end of the 2nd week) to see if there's the new UI online notification message about certifying for UI benefits.

I hope this helps in clearing up the confusion on this type of situation on the UI online website in reopening a claim.

I'll post more updates on any new changes to me regarding this particular issue.
In Oregon there was a couple of weeks where it kept saying you had to re-start your claim. It turned out to be a glitch in the overloaded system.
When googling CA, it seems that it is probably also a glitch. I found a Reddit post about how to get through - I only skimmed it.. so read it and see if it helps. Apart from that.. with Oregon they finally got it 'fixed' and (knock on wood) its working ok at the moment. Hopefully yours will too.
Kacey

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unemploymen..._claim_glitch/

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ogy-issues-edd

Old 05-16-2020, 11:16 PM

Thank you Kacey!

The information you provided will be of valuable use for those who are facing this situation on seeing the "reopen your claim" message on the UI online website even after submitting the reopen claim request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment