Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 02:25 PM

33 posts, read 26,240 times

Advertisements

i folks,

I'm in California and work as a self-employed writer/editor/translator. When Covid hit, my clients (mostly non-profits) all froze freelance projects; while other clients (grad students etc) are broke & scrambling. I've made $40 in the last two months, which has been very distressing.

I'm applying to PUA right now and went through the whole process. However, I hit two potential problems right at the end:

1. I get "Select the option for how you were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic" and none of the options quite fit. I guess the closest is "You are an independent contractor with reportable income (ex. IRS Form 1099) and you are forced to stop working because COVID-19 has severely limited your ability to continue performing your customary work activities" , but even that isn't strictly true as I'm mostly paid on a cash basis (I have a schedule C tax return for proof of income, etc).

But I'm terrified that if I choose "none of these apply to me", I'll get rejected (even though I'm explaining the specifics in a little window). What do I pick?

2. For "How many hours did you work per week prior to the disaster?", it varies wildly. Sometimes it's 20, sometimes it's 60, sometimes it's somewhere in between. The average is probably around 33-ish, but I'm worried I'll get rejected if I write less than 40. What do I do?

Thanks so much, this is all very scary because I may not be able to stay housed without this assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 02:39 PM

516 posts, read 554,104 times
Pick the answer you chose, it fits, you have loss of work due to Covid 19. If you don't choose one you will be rejected. Use your average 33 weeks.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:45 PM

957 posts, read 538,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr102 View Post
i folks,

I'm in California and work as a self-employed writer/editor/translator. When Covid hit, my clients (mostly non-profits) all froze freelance projects; while other clients (grad students etc) are broke & scrambling. I've made $40 in the last two months, which has been very distressing.

I'm applying to PUA right now and went through the whole process. However, I hit two potential problems right at the end:

1. I get "Select the option for how you were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic" and none of the options quite fit. I guess the closest is "You are an independent contractor with reportable income (ex. IRS Form 1099) and you are forced to stop working because COVID-19 has severely limited your ability to continue performing your customary work activities" , but even that isn't strictly true as I'm mostly paid on a cash basis (I have a schedule C tax return for proof of income, etc).

But I'm terrified that if I choose "none of these apply to me", I'll get rejected (even though I'm explaining the specifics in a little window). What do I pick?

2. For "How many hours did you work per week prior to the disaster?", it varies wildly. Sometimes it's 20, sometimes it's 60, sometimes it's somewhere in between. The average is probably around 33-ish, but I'm worried I'll get rejected if I write less than 40. What do I do?

Thanks so much, this is all very scary because I may not be able to stay housed without this assistance.
Hey there... it would be easier if you kept all your entries for this one issue in one post

this one here... that you started asking all the questions about:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unem...ualify-me.html

I think you are being a bit too pedantic with regards the questions...

DID you fill out a 1099? if so... then click that one. If they ask for a schedule C, then you have one to provide them.

As for hours... average it - take everything you made last year... divide by how much you make an hour and whatever that number is... is the average.
I dont know if they look at a base period for the PUA or not (im thinking maybe they do) then average out how many you made during that period.

I dont think it matters if you have less than 40 hours.. it says if your income is considerably diminished (or something like that) - and if it is... then it is.

And if you are denied, you can appeal.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:29 PM

33 posts, read 26,240 times
Thanks! I figured I'd start a new post, since the questions are different and specifically about the application, but point taken.

Well, that's the thing - I didn't fill out a 1099, but I guess that if I pick "none of the above" it'll be a red flag in their system. So I suppose that'll have to be it!

Thanks again.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:03 PM

957 posts, read 538,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr102 View Post
Thanks! I figured I'd start a new post, since the questions are different and specifically about the application, but point taken.

Well, that's the thing - I didn't fill out a 1099, but I guess that if I pick "none of the above" it'll be a red flag in their system. So I suppose that'll have to be it!

Thanks again.
So if you choose the 1099 one... and they cant find one.. or they have more questions, they will get in contact with you and you can tell them you have a schedule C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment