Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 07:28 AM

32 posts, read 20,991 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out the duration of my Unemployment now that they're finally fixing it. Had an issue with my Wages. 1 Quarter was only showing up as I earned 7,000$ and all remaining quarters 0.

Been a lengthy process but called yesterday to check up on the progress and they received and approved all my submitted paperwork, now just waiting for them to update it. Taking longer than usual due to the backlog of cases. Rep mentioned I will be payed back the difference of what my weekly benefit amount should have been, but I am more curious if I will be getting added weeks or if my duration remains the same.

Upon initial approval of Unemployment my Claim balance was at $3,500. Weekly benefit amount of 270. Roughly 13 weeks of benefits. Below is my Wages upon approval, and what my wages will actually be after correction posted

1st Quarter Wages: $7000 (Actual) 7451.50
2nd Quarter Wages: $0 (Actual 6981.25
3rd Quarter Wages: $0 (Actual) 7721.25
4th Quarter Wages: $0 (Actual 8251.25

Doing research online would seem they determine your weekly benefit amount by your highest earned quarter, which for me would be my 4th. At $8.2k I calculated my benefits at roughly $320 weekly.

Again though what I am curious on is the duration of benefits. How is this determined? Is it the same and my duration will expire on the same day as my current benefit timeline?

I read the California has a maximum weekly benefit duration of 26 weeks, not including PEUC. How is this 26 week determined?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 07:41 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,774,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c313 View Post
Trying to figure out the duration of my Unemployment now that they're finally fixing it. Had an issue with my Wages. 1 Quarter was only showing up as I earned 7,000$ and all remaining quarters 0.

Been a lengthy process but called yesterday to check up on the progress and they received and approved all my submitted paperwork, now just waiting for them to update it. Taking longer than usual due to the backlog of cases. Rep mentioned I will be payed back the difference of what my weekly benefit amount should have been, but I am more curious if I will be getting added weeks or if my duration remains the same.

Upon initial approval of Unemployment my Claim balance was at $3,500. Weekly benefit amount of 270. Roughly 13 weeks of benefits. Below is my Wages upon approval, and what my wages will actually be after correction posted

1st Quarter Wages: $7000 (Actual) 7451.50
2nd Quarter Wages: $0 (Actual 6981.25
3rd Quarter Wages: $0 (Actual) 7721.25
4th Quarter Wages: $0 (Actual 8251.25

Doing research online would seem they determine your weekly benefit amount by your highest earned quarter, which for me would be my 4th. At $8.2k I calculated my benefits at roughly $320 weekly.

Again though what I am curious on is the duration of benefits. How is this determined? Is it the same and my duration will expire on the same day as my current benefit timeline?

I read the California has a maximum weekly benefit duration of 26 weeks, not including PEUC. How is this 26 week determined?
Yep that's what I figured out your weekly benefit amount to be as well. You claim date will be valid for 52 weeks from the date you opened it (mid March?). You will receive 26 weeks of UI paid retro to when you opened the claim. Any week ending 4/4/20 through 7/25/20 you will receive the extra $600 (and paid retro back to week ending 4/4/20). If you exhaust your 26 weeks of benefits you will be entitled to the PEUC 13 week extension if you've had no unemployment since your benefits exhausted. California is still implementing the PEUC extensions. there's another thread people have been updating on the CA PEUC extensions as it unfolds.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Yep that's what I figured out your weekly benefit amount to be as well. You claim date will be valid for 52 weeks from the date you opened it (mid March?). You will receive 26 weeks of UI paid retro to when you opened the claim. Any week ending 4/4/20 through 7/25/20 you will receive the extra $600 (and paid retro back to week ending 4/4/20). If you exhaust your 26 weeks of benefits you will be entitled to the PEUC 13 week extension if you've had no unemployment since your benefits exhausted. California is still implementing the PEUC extensions. there's another thread people have been updating on the CA PEUC extensions as it unfolds.
Yup opened mid march. My unemployment (besides this issue with incorrect/missing wages) has been working just fine. Been certifying biweekly and have been getting paid without issue.

My real concern right now is my benefits as of right now before the corrections post will exhaust near the end of June and appears my Employer may not open the business back up until around August/September. I'm just unsure how weeks are determined. After my corrections get posted, will my benefit balance cover a full 26 weeks from the date my claim began (March 15th)? Or will I still have enough benefits to cover only a 13 week period and it will still exhaust around the end of June?

My main goal was/is to get the corrections posted before my benefits exhaust in June as I was given only 13 weeks of benefits. But then again I am actually unsure if what I made in 2019 will actually qualify me for 26 weeks of benefits and even after the corrections are posted I would still have benefits to cover the same 13 week period? I'd much rather use PEUC when my true benefits exhaust. Am under the impression I would get 26 weeks of benefits, but again, I am actually not sure how that is determined. But if I do qualify for 26 weeks would much rather have PEUC kick in after my 26 weeks are up.

I know PEUC will kick in when my benefits Exhaust and I will be covered for 13 more weeks. This is of course assuming my Company is still closed. Will be returning to work as soon as my prior place of employment opens back up, I'm just making sure I know exactly what's going on in the foreseeable future, financially speaking, until my job opens back up.

Last edited by c313; 05-20-2020 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-20-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
My main goal was/is to get the corrections posted before my benefits exhaust in June as I was given only 13 weeks of benefits. But then again I am actually unsure if what I made in 2019 will actually qualify me for 26 weeks of benefits and even after the corrections are posted I would still have benefits to cover the same 13 week period? I'd much rather use PEUC when my true benefits exhaust. Am under the impression I would get 26 weeks of benefits, but again, I am actually not sure how that is determined. But if I do qualify for 26 weeks would much rather have PEUC kick in after my 26 weeks are up.

I know PEUC will kick in when my benefits Exhaust and I will be covered for 13 more weeks. This is of course assuming my Company is still closed. Will be returning to work as soon as my prior place of employment opens back up, I'm just making sure I know exactly what's going on in the foreseeable future, financially speaking, until my job opens back up.
I didn't realize that you original benefits were only for 13 weeks not 26 weeks. Why is that? I know in NJ they count # of base weeks where you made $200 or more and someone could have 26 countable base weeks while another person might have less. in NJ your maximum claim amount is then divided by your # of countable base weeks to determine your WBR. I didn't see that California did that but I didn't "dig" extensively.

Regardless of if a correction or no correction it will go back to your claim open date. So no matter what the # of weeks you get once your base period wages are corrected it will go back to that date and weeks will tick off from week ending 3/21. when you've exhausted all benefits (regardless if it's 13 or 26 or another # of weeks)is when you will be eligible for the PEUC 13 week extension (providing you haven't worked since you exhausted your benefits).

Old 05-21-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
I didn't realize that you original benefits were only for 13 weeks not 26 weeks. Why is that? I know in NJ they count # of base weeks where you made $200 or more and someone could have 26 countable base weeks while another person might have less. in NJ your maximum claim amount is then divided by your # of countable base weeks to determine your WBR. I didn't see that California did that but I didn't "dig" extensively.

Regardless of if a correction or no correction it will go back to your claim open date. So no matter what the # of weeks you get once your base period wages are corrected it will go back to that date and weeks will tick off from week ending 3/21. when you've exhausted all benefits (regardless if it's 13 or 26 or another # of weeks)is when you will be eligible for the PEUC 13 week extension (providing you haven't worked since you exhausted your benefits).
Yes original benefits were 13 weeks. Have 6 weeks remaining of benefits with the last week I assume will be a partial payment. Was just unsure how exactly the 26 weeks are determined for unemployment benefits.

Just unsure if I actually qualified for the full 26 weeks if my wages were originally posted correct. And if I will get the full 26 weeks after this correction. Either way Come the day the benefits exhaust I will apply (or automatically be approved?) for PEUC. Assuming the State and my prior place of employment are still on lock.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Yes original benefits were 13 weeks. Have 6 weeks remaining of benefits with the last week I assume will be a partial payment. Was just unsure how exactly the 26 weeks are determined for unemployment benefits.

Just unsure if I actually qualified for the full 26 weeks if my wages were originally posted correct. And if I will get the full 26 weeks after this correction. Either way Come the day the benefits exhaust I will apply (or automatically be approved?) for PEUC. Assuming the State and my prior place of employment are still on lock.
there's another thread for CA PEUC exhausters that people have been following/updating with information and what CA has said about how extensions will roll out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment