Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 09:05 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times

Advertisements

I spoke to a friend who use to be in EDD management. She said that it can take several days from the interview to the notes appearing officially in the file. With current backlog levels, interviewers may be operating in what she called "pad and pencil" mode for some cases as they wade through the caseload. They are taking interview notes down by hand to be entered into the system later when they get to it.

Now, as for needing to speak to you in order to make a determination; They do not need to speak to you or anyone before rendering a determination. They have four pieces of information to go on. First is your application, second is your interview, third is the employer's initial electronic wage report and last is the employer's interview. They will take whatever information they have and based on that information, render an initial determination. This determination is information, not fact based. Even if you speak with them, nothing says they wont render an initial determination contrary to the information they had.

If by 10 days after this second interview there has been no change to your status, something on your account is wrong and needs to be fixed. It could be a system error or some input error causing a jam or a block of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 04:24 PM

17 posts, read 9,470 times
I contacted previous employer today. HR person said manager will let her know by tonight about re-hire...

Not sure if it was a good idea or not but my savings are dwindling and it's looking like EDD won't happen anytime soon. I've been unemployed since 12/2021 at this point if the initial decision is a denial then I have to appeal and go through that process.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:41 PM

Thank you for your response so far. I want to apologize in advance for however I'm coming off...

so..I understand that the initial determination is information and not fact based and although I received a notice of eligibility interview I understand that they can and may have made the initial determination without speaking with me. I get that. I also understand that reps(EDD) are limited to what they can see and do on a claim and so when they encounter a issue that they themselves cannot solve or does not understand why it's the way it is they either email the department that is most likely going to be able or can based on what the claimant is saying, available notes and the stage of the process the claim is in and I understand the answer is not always instant and I may have to call back a few days later or wait for the department that was emailed to reach out to me. I also can understand the backlog and them(EDD) maybe working with ' pad and pencil ' to be manually entered in later on and so interview notes may not show up til several days later. I was a Supervisor at a call center, a third party contracted by COMCAST and I'm pretty confident I can tell the difference when the information is coming from someone that has reviewed the account in it's totality, have a clear understanding of the issue the caller is calling about, take in account their own internal processes then provide the best course of action and of someone who already think they know and have already decided on the best course of action only briefly reviewing the account and hearing what the caller is saying almost becomes irrelevant and proceeds to advise the caller and in some cases administer what they think is the best coursed of action. Most of the time the latter leads to confusion and unecessary delays for the caller..I know Comcast and EDD are not the same but the concept should be similar. Everything that I'm getting from these(EDD) reps up to this point leads me to the conclusion that something is wrong with my claim may it be computer error or human. And because they are swam with calls, back logs. With regard to my claim, I think most of the reps because they know the claim process, they just take in a couple lines that I tell them at beginning of call, briefly review account, just sees the most current event done/not done and then proceeds to advise me most times forcefully to do what they think the best course of action is not taken into account what I'm telling them or reviewing the account to match it up...and then gets frustrated when they're questioned because to them they know their job( and I don't doubt that at all ). In the end nothing gets done.

I'm sorry but all the above. I reasonably believe that (1). None of the phone interviews where documented, EDD agents because they know the claims process they think and reasonably are confident about what may have happened, don't listen or take time to review the claim, confident in their assessment that if its scheduled and I'm telling them I completed not one but two then they're sure no further action is needed and along with their knowledge that some determinations don't require speaking with claimant so there's no sense of urgency to explore the possibility that something is wrong. All the sources including EDD's website says anytime a claimant use ' Voluntarily Quit ' as separation reason they're almost ALWAYS interviewed regardless whether or not interview impacts the determination.

I'm trying to prevent or at least limited what's already delayed. It may not be important for folks at EDD or whoever but it' is to me. My financial situation says so. If it's delayed anyways at least its for the right reason. I posted in these forums in hopes of getting advice/help/clarification...the idea is to try to limit delays much as possible proactively. Isn't that the idea here??

Again I want to apologize for the way I'm coming across or if I offended anyone. It is not my intention.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:17 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
This is a long shot but might be worth it...

Contact your senator or representative and ask for help.

My kid in IL had a problem with her claim during covid and she wrote one of them and magically the claim got through and was approved.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
This is a long shot but might be worth it...

Contact your senator or representative and ask for help.

My kid in IL had a problem with her claim during covid and she wrote one of them and magically the claim got through and was approved.
I did. I sent a email to assemblymen in the district I'm in over the weekend. No response yet. Hopefully they can help because EDD's agents are either oblivious to the obvious or so constrained to their individual roles to the point of losing common sense and are just saying whatever they want. I think they know what they're saying is nonsense, because when they catch themselves or the BS has become too apparent they basically read and repeat the script knowing it has nothing to do with the situation. .hoping you hang up in frustration & when you don't they do...People working there make it their job to avoid, delay and miss- inform as much as possible.

You become unemployed, you apply, you either get approve or denied, if you're denied then you appeal. I mean everything is computerize now it's not like the old days where there are piles of paper claims overflowing the basket, some might fall to the floor, get throw away inadvertently and forgotten. It's a computerized system, so if someone inputs it then it's in the system & if it's not in the system, it's not in the system. If it's something simple as forgetting to document or a typo on EDD's behalf, just tell claimants the truth and get going on to resolving the issue. Instead these people say some of the dumbest, most nonsensical things to Claimants, things that exacerbates and then tell claimant to just wait...Heck no claimants are not going to just wait and no normal person will just wait and do nothing. People apply for UI for a reason, they are not going to " just wait " when it's that obvious what the course of action should be, especially when the lack of action will cause a significant, unecessary delay...Claimants 99% of the time do not mind repeating, providing whatever it is they have to do on the claimants side as long as it gets the claim moving along. I get it, there's high volume of claims and low staff...but c'mon ...
I personally think that's isn't the issue. It's because they're just simply INCOMPETENT Maybe

Last edited by Dannyv209; 03-29-2022 at 08:03 PM..

Old 04-06-2022, 07:59 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
If the revised "staffing shortage" timeline hold, you should be hearing something this week from unemployment. Remember, always monitor your online account as it's the first to see the changes.

If by Friday only crickets are heard, there's a good chance your account has some glitch that is causing information exchanges to go into space.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:24 PM

**UPDATE**

I received a call from Tier2 agent this morning. He said a decision has been made and I am eligible. He said my application went to one of the centers in Southern CA for processing, the person assigned to do phone interview is from that center and because the center was shut down all the claims that went there had to be reassigned else where and that caused some of the issues. He apologized for the delay and said I will be getting debit card in a few days, latest 7 - 10 days and all weeks that I certify will be paid except the first week because of waiting period.

Needless to say I am relieved finally....not sure if it was due to email I sent to assemblymen, the senator or is just because they finally got to it themselves but I'm just happy that it's resolved and It qualify and will be receiving payments....thank for all that responded...thank you Rabrrita for responding to my vents lol..

Old 06-08-2022, 04:05 PM

313 posts, read 346,682 times
Congratulations Danny.

How long did it take to get your phone interview scheduled after applying?

I applied for Benefits, got "approved," certified, payment put on hold, and told by rep that I need an interview.

I called Monday to schedule an interview.
It's Wednesday and no interview has been scheduled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment