Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 08:26 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times

Advertisements

There is conflicting info out there on the internet... some sources say receiving a severance negates unemployment whereas other sources say it does not affect it.

Question - if I get a severance on departure from my employer can I immediately still claim unemployment benefits like I normally would?

This is in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 08:40 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Baring any issues over the reason for your unemployment, in Texas, it all depends on what the severance covers and how structured. So, in order to get a good answer, we would need to know:
1. Why you are being unemployed? (quit, fired, laid off)
2. Why are they paying you? (cause they didn't give notice, just because they like you, contractually obligated)
3. How is it being paid? (lump or in installments)
4. Does the pay come with any employment benfits? (health plan deduction, accruing time, extend official termination date)

Old 06-02-2022, 09:54 AM

hypothetical scenario at the moment so nothing is known

Old 06-02-2022, 10:44 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
The general rule in TX is if the severance is based on payment of wages, it impact unemployment payments. Examples of these are:
1. Payment for period where a regulatory notice (think WARN) was not provided so they are paying you the wages associated with that notice period.
2. If paying out for a time period in advance (think paying you PTO time as if working) where benefits are still accruing .
3. If paying wages even if you are not allowed to report to work and your termination date is officially at the end of that period.

If severance is based on a non wage payment, it normally would not impact unemployment payments. Examples of these would be:
1. Paying you a lump to make you leave and not shoot up the place.
2. Written policy to pay X (day's wage) based on Y (each year of service) not tied to your continued employment.
3. Legal settlement.
4. Back wages or monies owed (paying lump for PTO) not attributable to future employment work time.

Basically, you don't want it to be seen as continued wage payments but rather a company "gift" not tied to future work time.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:51 AM

got it, thanks!

Old 06-03-2022, 10:46 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
I've been laid off twice.

In the first scenario, I had a paid notice period of 2 months, then received a much larger severance payment that was lump sum. I was not able to collect unemployment during my two month notice period, but was able to start collecting upon the first day after that - the last day I was paid for was considered my last day or employment even though I stopped working two months prior (yes, it was a sweet deal lol).

In the second scenario, I received two months of severance, paid on the normal payroll schedule. I was not able to collect unemployment during this time, since I was being paid regularly. I never ended up filing, because I started a new job a month in, so I never had a period for which I was not being paid (actually had a month where I was being double paid so that was quite nice).

I am in New York, so Texas may work differently.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:00 AM

376 posts, read 320,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I've been laid off twice.

In the first scenario, I had a paid notice period of 2 months, then received a much larger severance payment that was lump sum. I was not able to collect unemployment during my two month notice period, but was able to start collecting upon the first day after that - the last day I was paid for was considered my last day or employment even though I stopped working two months prior (yes, it was a sweet deal lol).

In the second scenario, I received two months of severance, paid on the normal payroll schedule. I was not able to collect unemployment during this time, since I was being paid regularly. I never ended up filing, because I started a new job a month in, so I never had a period for which I was not being paid (actually had a month where I was being double paid so that was quite nice).

I am in New York, so Texas may work differently.
Each state's severance laws as they apply to unemployment benefits differs.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:25 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNJ View Post
Each state's severance laws as they apply to unemployment benefits differs.
Which is why I said that Texas might work differently, but knowing how another state works isn't bad knowledge to have....

Old 06-05-2022, 08:46 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
There is conflicting info out there on the internet... some sources say receiving a severance negates unemployment whereas other sources say it does not affect it.

Question - if I get a severance on departure from my employer can I immediately still claim unemployment benefits like I normally would?

This is in Texas.
Go ahead and apply immediately to unemployment. They will ask the questions and screen you, and if they find a conflict with your severance package let them advise you. But I wouldn't take the approach to avoid applying for unemployment because you suspect they won't approve it.

I know someone who was terminated from a job (not in Texas) and since he was given a severance the employer instructed him not to apply for unemployment because they were being given severance. He applied for unemployment anyway, and they went to arbitration and he won. He got the unemployment benefits and the severance. I don't recall if he was paid severance first and then got the unemployment benefit payments or it was simultaneously.

It is the unemployment office that makes the determination who is and isn't eligible, not the employer. The employer can fight it just like you, but that doesn't mean they will win, you can win. I believe he said that going to arbitration didn't cost him anything. Their corporate attorney talked big about this, but ended up not showing up for arbitration. Always apply for unemployment benefits, and all them to make a determination. Too often people also repeat false information that if you resigned from a job you can't get unemployment benefits either and that isn't always true, it depends on the circumstances of your separation from the company.

As always, consultant with an attorney with experience in employment law in your state.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:25 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
In any state, severance wouldn't "negate" unemployment. And you should always file for unemployment immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment