U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:21 PM

0 posts, read 1,149 times

Advertisements

Hi this can help ......check out at www.tdennis.zurvita.biz
view video clip under opportunity and see if this might be for you. Also, you may call 646-222-0013 for additional information email me at patden@bellsouth.net
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 06:30 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,216,602 times
Quit looking. My IU runs out in 2 months. Can't find a job that pays more than my IU. Max IU in CA is $450/wk. I may be able to find a job paying less, but unless there is a chance for advancement, forget it. I'll worry about it in 2 months or apply for the federal extension. This is personally the worst job market I've experienced.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 PM

935 posts, read 2,251,362 times
I have a Bachelors Degree in Communications and I'm working on a Masters in Marketing. I also had a job in college working for a technology firm and was even promoted to student supervisor within less than a year. I had moved to Seattle for more than a month and could not find a job. In fact, my aunt worked for Microsoft and her department was shipped overseas. I had to move back home in Appalachia and I was hoping to find a job here b/c I've been told my entire life, "You should get your Bachelors Degree. It will help you get a job, make money, and get out of poverty."

It has been over a month and there are very few jobs available in the region outside of coal mining or natural gas collecting (or whatever you call it). I have applied to high up places like editor and marketing assistant, but I have also applied for secretary jobs, retail, etc. I was turned down for retail jobs such as cashier and was confused until an employment agency told me 1) There are a lot of unemployed people, 2) Very few jobs due to the economy, and 3) HAVING A DEGREE MAKES ME OVER QUALIFIED!!! So she says that is probably the reason why I have not been hired by the lower paying companies.

Is it really the economy screwing us over? I mean, this past month alone supposedly over 150,000 jobs were lost; but I have been working my butt off trying to get degrees and get ahead and yet it looks as though it is coming around and biting me on the butt b/c I have too much education for a retail job but not enough experience for a high paying job that my education qualifies me for. People recommend Wal-Mart, but it's sort of like, "If I wanted to work at Wal-Mart then why did I waste $20,000 in loans for a degree?"

A job is a job and there's no dishonor in work, but I was wondering if any other people out there with college or graduate degrees are having trouble as well. I mean, my friends and sibings that have high school diplomas are getting jobs in retail and fast food. It just seems weird to hear other stories of people with college or graduate degrees not getting jobs and even ending up homeless.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:44 AM

7,499 posts, read 17,463,275 times
My wife has a Bachelor's degree in Business/Accounting and she is making descent money (64K) as a Financial Analyst. Very little overtime and no weekend work. I'm unemployed and drawing UI. We are doing ok, but she takes her lunch to work every day and we don't eat supper out very much. We spend very little on entertainment right now.
Her accounting degree is pretty much in "high demand" in some areas of the U.S.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:27 PM

667 posts, read 2,690,761 times
I am just about 2 months away from seperating from the military. As of right now, I do plan on going on unemployment so I can decompress. Since I am very close to finishing my BS in computers, I think that I;m just going to finish up school and volunteer as much as possible and see what happens

Old 10-05-2008, 07:30 PM

43,856 posts, read 45,999,452 times
I don't know where everyone lives, but in Florida you can take a short course and become a teacher. Maybe you wouldn't make as much as your particular degree pays....but it beats having to take a job that won't pay your bills at all. I'm older, but I really feel sorry for all the young families out there who took the time to get their degrees and now can't find suitable work. It is a real shame!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:31 PM

43,856 posts, read 45,999,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
I am just about 2 months away from seperating from the military. As of right now, I do plan on going on unemployment so I can decompress. Since I am very close to finishing my BS in computers, I think that I;m just going to finish up school and volunteer as much as possible and see what happens
Good luck to you and thanks so much for your service to our country. You are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 AM

625 posts, read 3,430,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I have a Bachelors Degree in Communications and I'm working on a Masters in Marketing. I also had a job in college working for a technology firm and was even promoted to student supervisor within less than a year. I had moved to Seattle for more than a month and could not find a job. In fact, my aunt worked for Microsoft and her department was shipped overseas. I had to move back home in Appalachia and I was hoping to find a job here b/c I've been told my entire life, "You should get your Bachelors Degree. It will help you get a job, make money, and get out of poverty."

It has been over a month and there are very few jobs available in the region outside of coal mining or natural gas collecting (or whatever you call it). I have applied to high up places like editor and marketing assistant, but I have also applied for secretary jobs, retail, etc. I was turned down for retail jobs such as cashier and was confused until an employment agency told me 1) There are a lot of unemployed people, 2) Very few jobs due to the economy, and 3) HAVING A DEGREE MAKES ME OVER QUALIFIED!!! So she says that is probably the reason why I have not been hired by the lower paying companies.

Is it really the economy screwing us over? I mean, this past month alone supposedly over 150,000 jobs were lost; but I have been working my butt off trying to get degrees and get ahead and yet it looks as though it is coming around and biting me on the butt b/c I have too much education for a retail job but not enough experience for a high paying job that my education qualifies me for. People recommend Wal-Mart, but it's sort of like, "If I wanted to work at Wal-Mart then why did I waste $20,000 in loans for a degree?"

A job is a job and there's no dishonor in work, but I was wondering if any other people out there with college or graduate degrees are having trouble as well. I mean, my friends and sibings that have high school diplomas are getting jobs in retail and fast food. It just seems weird to hear other stories of people with college or graduate degrees not getting jobs and even ending up homeless.
I am right here with you and in the same boat as you, but I refuse to go for my masters until I get a job to help cover some of the costs.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,402,660 times
I've been unemployed since the end of August. I left a temp job of 5 months. I was 'promised' when I started in March that by the end of August I would be offered full time employment. So I stayed at a job paying very poorly and did a great job (I got wonderful comments from the committee I worked for) but the management was jerking me around.

When I mentioned this elusive job (several times), they said they wanted to take me on but there was no further info. The end of August I moved to another town (not far but I didn't feel like traveling there and back every day with the price of gas and the wages they paid). I got fed up waiting to be taken on and in the end, I found out it was all 'b.s.' but I don't care. We moved from the town and have made a clean break.

I'm highly educated (2 degrees) and have a lot of experience. I have a masters (Elementary Ed.)and a BA (English) but 'no career' since I never did get a 'real' teaching job and I have been a stay at home mom for years.

I keep hanging in there and know I have skills and the drive to find success in 'something' but what...?

Being unemployed and very educated is a 2 fold slap in the face. I was the one who 'was supposed to' pull in the good job and live well. My husband reminds me over and over I am not working and 'our lives cannot go forward' until I do 'get a good job.' He makes 'okay' money but we don't save like we did when we both worked. Our goal is to own a house with a yard. My son is already 10 years old and we have not had our own place since he was a baby.

It's damn depressing sometimes. But I try to remain focused. Remember you are a person, not 'a job.' Value your other qualities and parts of your life (family, interests, pets, friends, whatever) and know everyone has future, no matter 'how old' or how young.

If I was 19/21 in college I would 'take any decent job' even in retail or whatever just to get experience. I graduated with my BA and worked for awhile in a clothes store. It was awful but it proved I could do something.

Now at my age I really can't imagine doing that work but I might just to get out of the house to DO SOMETHING and be 'productive' until something else comes around.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,300 times
Does anyone know anything about Rod Aycox companies?
A Rod Aycox Company
I know they deal in title loans, but am looking for reviews/suggestions as I am also unemployed and getting DESPERATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or