U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 10:32 AM

95 posts, read 310,332 times

Advertisements

Im 40 been working full time for 25 years without ever having a day unemployed.
Last week I was laid off. To be lost is an understatement. I had no clue on how to file for UE or where to even find the place.
After discussing with some people on here and off I learned how to file. I have to wait a week to get benefits.
I have sent my resume to over 50 places and havent heard from any of them.
All the job postings in my field (carpentry) are paying less than 1/2 of my previous salary.

Im considering a complete career change. 40 year old with 5 dependents starting over is SCARY!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 AM

941 posts, read 2,135,961 times
Some employers are loving this time of peril, one guy laughed and said I was intervewing with about 80 other people for their position. They are offering pennies now because so many people are desperate for jobs. Their attitude is you need us more than we need you.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,443,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
Some employers are loving this time of peril, one guy laughed and said I was intervewing with about 80 other people for their position. They are offering pennies now because so many people are desperate for jobs. Their attitude is you need us more than we need you.
Yeah, it sucks but I have seen this before....everything is cyclical.

Hang in there, everyone. Keep your chins up and block out the negative.

Karma will get all the SOBs laughing at 'the honest worker.'

Old 10-07-2008, 10:41 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,636,418 times
Quote:
What position /type of job were you interviewing for?

Like maybe finance really sucks big time now.

My last eng job, they looked at 40 resumes, picked 7 good ones, and I was the first to interview. But the other candidates were desperate out of state job seekers willing to move to Houston!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM

2,745 posts, read 13,473,110 times
Quote:
I was just commenting on this last night. I was looking at my state's unemployment website job ads and I noted how my "matches" (the jobs they match to my skills) are way down and the pay is as well. Out of a measly page and a half of matches (used to be 4 pages), only 2 of those jobs paid $10 an hour. Two more paid around $11 and the rest were all $7.00 to 8.50 an hour, whereas last year at this time the majority of the jobs were $9 or more.

This is for the same exact type of jobs (data entry / clerical / admin /office support) with similar skill requirements as in the past.

I saw another job ad elsewhere for office support for a legal firm, wanting 4 years experience, multi-line phone experience, typing speed of 80 wpm, proficiency in all MS Office software, some legal research skills, and so forth, no benefits, full time, offering $7 an hour.

Then again it's not that shocking. I've noticed it seems to be the rule, rather than the exception with law offices having a habit of paying less for the same job you can get elsewhere, always paying a couple bucks an hour more.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 AM

571 posts, read 1,187,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm highly educated (2 degrees) and have a lot of experience. I have a masters (Elementary Ed.)and a BA (English) but 'no career' since I never did get a 'real' teaching job and I have been a stay at home mom for years.

I keep hanging in there and know I have skills and the drive to find success in 'something' but what...?

Being unemployed and very educated is a 2 fold slap in the face. I was the one who 'was supposed to' pull in the good job and live well.
If I was 19/21 in college I would 'take any decent job' even in retail or whatever just to get experience. I graduated with my BA and worked for awhile in a clothes store. It was awful but it proved I could do something.

Now at my age I really can't imagine doing that work but I might just to get out of the house to DO SOMETHING and be 'productive' until something else comes around.
My situation is nearly identical to yours, minus the "mom" part. I understand your frustration. It's very hard to "accept" being in this position, which is why I try not to accept it. It's easier some days than it is others.

I am a certified teacher in a dead field, and I went all the way through to the doctorate. I've worked as a waitress for 20+ years (to pay for school) and I WILL NOT work any more crappy jobs. I JUST WANT TO BE A TEACHER. When did this become an unrealistic goal? Why should I have to keep working crappy jobs that I hate? Because those are the places where I can get hired. With no teaching job in sight, I've started applying for other jobs, but I get treated like a caveman in a china shop.

And please, to all my friends out there, I beg of you, please do not say any of the following:

1) With your skills, you should be able to find a job doing anything.
2) Maybe you are overqualified.
3) You could always substitute teach.
4) Find something you want to do, and then do it.
5) Start your own business.
6) Hang in there. Something will come up.
7) It's all in the way you interview. (Well, if I actually got interviews, I could work on that.)

Thank you for the opportunity to vent on here. I just needed to get that out (again) Good luck to all those out there who are "pounding the pavement."

Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 AM

941 posts, read 2,135,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
What position /type of job were you interviewing for?

Like maybe finance really sucks big time now.

My last eng job, they looked at 40 resumes, picked 7 good ones, and I was the first to interview. But the other candidates were desperate out of state job seekers willing to move to Houston!
At this point any position possible, funny thing is everyone wants exp now no one is willing to train people anymore. Even janitors are required to have experience, for what to mop a floor???

Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,836,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Hi all:

I was wondering how many people are unemployed and looking? I have a degree in Economics and I have been having hard times finding a good job in the financial sector. For the last year, I have been doing financial contract work through a temporary agency and my last assignment just came to an end. This is the first time I have ever been on unemployment benefits and I am starting to hate it. Some of my co workers have Master's degrees and have been on unemployment for months. In between assignments, I have only been unemployed for about month but there are people out there that have been unemployed for months and years with great qualifications and experience. Have you given up looking for a job?How are you coping?
Right now the highest unemployment is among 16-24 year olds. That's because job demand is low, so companies can hire the more experienced for less money.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:58 PM

935 posts, read 2,254,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I am right here with you and in the same boat as you, but I refuse to go for my masters until I get a job to help cover some of the costs.
Yeah, I originally was planning on living in Seattle and getting a great job. Plus, I would have to start paying loans if I didn't go straight into my Masters program. I wanted to do it all at once b/c in my family, once people start working they usually don't go back to school. I'm the first one in my family to graduate with a degree. I'm thinking about taking a leave of absence if I can't find a job soon b/c I don't have loans or money to pay for my January course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've been unemployed since the end of August. I left a temp job of 5 months. I was 'promised' when I started in March that by the end of August I would be offered full time employment. So I stayed at a job paying very poorly and did a great job (I got wonderful comments from the committee I worked for) but the management was jerking me around.

I'm highly educated (2 degrees) and have a lot of experience. I have a masters (Elementary Ed.)and a BA (English) but 'no career' since I never did get a 'real' teaching job and I have been a stay at home mom for years.

Being unemployed and very educated is a 2 fold slap in the face. I was the one who 'was supposed to' pull in the good job and live well. My husband reminds me over and over I am not working and 'our lives cannot go forward' until I do 'get a good job.' He makes 'okay' money but we don't save like we did when we both worked. Our goal is to own a house with a yard. My son is already 10 years old and we have not had our own place since he was a baby.

It's damn depressing sometimes. But I try to remain focused. Remember you are a person, not 'a job.' Value your other qualities and parts of your life (family, interests, pets, friends, whatever) and know everyone has future, no matter 'how old' or how young.

If I was 19/21 in college I would 'take any decent job' even in retail or whatever just to get experience. I graduated with my BA and worked for awhile in a clothes store. It was awful but it proved I could do something.

Now at my age I really can't imagine doing that work but I might just to get out of the house to DO SOMETHING and be 'productive' until something else comes around.
It is a bit of a slap in the face. I worked during college but I don't know if they are counting it since it was work in the college even though I was promoted to Student Supervisor within a year. My brother and sister have jobs and they only graduated from high school (my sister has some college, but a low GPA). My brother jokes around about, "Yeah, you have a college degree but what good has that done you?" since he has a job. It's fast-food, but at least it's a job and I'm getting turned down in RETAIL stores b/c I'm "over-qualified" due to my degree, but don't have enough "retail experience" to work as a manager.

I am still trying to remain positive and there are still companies that I applied to that are still reviewing resumes, but no call-ins for interviews yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Right now the highest unemployment is among 16-24 year olds. That's because job demand is low, so companies can hire the more experienced for less money.
Yeah, and I do fit into this age group. I have been talking to some friends with many of them having trouble finding jobs (even with degrees) and a lot of them are now either homeless, living with relatives, or getting ready to face homelessness. One even went around to every charity organization and church available but all of them were broke except for one that gave her $30.

It's especially discouraging b/c I have siblings I had been trying to convince to go to college so they won't end up spending the rest of their lives working in fast food or Wal-Mart (no offense, there's no shame in those jobs, but they keep complaning about wanting something with better pay). Now, when I try to talk to them about college, my brother will half-joke and say, "Yeah, look at where it's got you!"

Something needs to change. The people in my area are complaining that very few young people are coming back to the region b/c of lack of jobs. I still want to leave, but the job market wasn't that great in Seattle and I don't have the funds to travel and live in big cities for weeks or months. I'm even having trouble getting a small job to raise the funds b/c I'm "over-qualified". If this doesn't change soon, I already know a lot of my friends want to move to a country where the job market pays more and has more options. Some are talking about moving to South and Central America. Others are talking about moving to Asia and getting a good job teaching English for high pay (since they are supposedly looking for native speakers).

How are we suppose to gain experience if we can't even get anyone to give us a chance?

Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,473,110 times
Quote:
At this point any position possible, funny thing is everyone wants exp now no one is willing to train people anymore. Even janitors are required to have experience, for what to mop a floor???
LOL yes, I've seen ads for maids / housekeepers that want experience. For some absurd reason, having LIVED IN A HOUSE for 37 years and having had a hand in cleaning since I was, oh, 5 or so, does not "count" as experience. Nor does having cleaned up after 3 kids and 2 dogs and numerous cats for decades. Whatever. Dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or