U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM

941 posts, read 2,135,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
LOL yes, I've seen ads for maids / housekeepers that want experience. For some absurd reason, having LIVED IN A HOUSE for 37 years and having had a hand in cleaning since I was, oh, 5 or so, does not "count" as experience. Nor does having cleaned up after 3 kids and 2 dogs and numerous cats for decades. Whatever. Dumb.
No disrespect to janitors or other jobs that apply, but employers think if you did retail all your life you can't learn to do something else. No matter what job you do when you go to a new company someone has to show you what to do right? So why not train people?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM

Who would you rather hire?

A new person with a fresh new attitude, willing to learn, hardworking and responsible.
OR
A experienced know it all jerk off, who does'nt want people to tell him anything, lazy and calls out of work every other day?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM

935 posts, read 2,254,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
Who would you rather hire?

A new person with a fresh new attitude, willing to learn, hardworking and responsible.
OR
A experienced know it all jerk off, who does'nt want people to tell him anything, lazy and calls out of work every other day?
From what I've been seeing so far, people are preferring the latter b/c they have "experience". Though, new people might have more updated knowledge. Experienced people may go back to update their education, but some of them prefer to stick with what they know. Yes, experience is very important, but it is also ridiculous to expect experience when no one is hiring new people to gain experience?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
From what I've been seeing so far, people are preferring the latter b/c they have "experience". Though, new people might have more updated knowledge. Experienced people may go back to update their education, but some of them prefer to stick with what they know. Yes, experience is very important, but it is also ridiculous to expect experience when no one is hiring new people to gain experience?
I learned along time ago, common sense is too hard for some employers/bosses and the others just don't give a

Old 10-08-2008, 11:51 PM

34 posts, read 121,068 times
I am currently unemployed and seeking employment. I used to do IT and was laid off back in eairly June when the company downsized by 25%. I was called by the company about 3 weeks later and offered a job in the call center doing Tech Support (actually making more than I did in IT!) and I accepted the job. However, I was let go again in Augest and have been out of work since. I have since applied for 45+ jobs and have yet to get a single phone call.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,989,119 times
Guys,

Health care is where the jobs are. If you can somehow retool and get re-educated in the health care field, you will have a job from Day 1. The pay is also good. Nurses can start at $20 per hour. They are getting starting bonuses of $10K. Even in low cost areas (rural towns), the pay for nurses is close to par with those seen in major cities. Check out the website of any hospital. Pick a random hospital, and go to the jobs section. Chances are, there are openings for nurses and other health care jobs. This isn't changing anytime soon, recession or not.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 27,199 times
Default In the same boat as you are

Well, I've been unemployed since Feb 2008 and have a Bachelors degree in Financial Management. I worked and put in a lot of hours in a financial industry for 5 years and that company decided to down size, so my department was the second department to close down and all 45 of us lost our jobs within one week of one another. I've applied EVERYWHERE possible and even to places that I would be considered working. I've been turned down so many times already... I lost count. I was either way over qualified or not enough "experience". A friend of mine who is lucky enough to stay in the company told me that all financial industries are hurting right now and specially applying at banks are not even a questions due to a lot of them being closed down or being bought out by different companies.

At times I want to give up, but like everyone else out there... I've got bills to pay and I've been a month or two the most behind on everything. It's killing me because I've never had bad credit and I was always "responsible" and staying on top of everything .... until that day I lost my job.

I don't know where to apply anymore and who go to......... but hey, times are tough and I'm sure everyone aboard this "unemployment boat" will come out of it safely before it sinks............

Old 10-10-2008, 07:07 AM

I hate to see everyone in this situation, but it helps to keep your sanity knowing your not alone.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 PM

470 posts, read 1,082,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post

Yeah, and I do fit into this age group. I have been talking to some friends with many of them having trouble finding jobs (even with degrees) and a lot of them are now either homeless, living with relatives, or getting ready to face homelessness. One even went around to every charity organization and church available but all of them were broke except for one that gave her $30.

It's especially discouraging b/c I have siblings I had been trying to convince to go to college so they won't end up spending the rest of their lives working in fast food or Wal-Mart (no offense, there's no shame in those jobs, but they keep complaning about wanting something with better pay). Now, when I try to talk to them about college, my brother will half-joke and say, "Yeah, look at where it's got you!"

Something needs to change. The people in my area are complaining that very few young people are coming back to the region b/c of lack of jobs. I still want to leave, but the job market wasn't that great in Seattle and I don't have the funds to travel and live in big cities for weeks or months. I'm even having trouble getting a small job to raise the funds b/c I'm "over-qualified". If this doesn't change soon, I already know a lot of my friends want to move to a country where the job market pays more and has more options. Some are talking about moving to South and Central America. Others are talking about moving to Asia and getting a good job teaching English for high pay (since they are supposedly looking for native speakers).

How are we suppose to gain experience if we can't even get anyone to give us a chance?
I know how you feel, I am a recent college grad with a finance degree. Been trying to get into the accounting side (since I have like 18 accounting credits) and to other sides of my degree but still no luck. Is my degree worthless .

I blame myself though and take some responsibility since I didnt get an internship doing any semesters (summer were out of the question since I had National Guard duty). I am the first person in my family to get a degree and right now it seems like im the loser of the family...

Old 10-11-2008, 07:31 AM

7 posts, read 27,199 times
With a lot of "us" college grads and "us" who have a degree in something....... why is it that "we" are the ones having a tough time stepping foot in a work field? I mean, there are soooooo many, and I mean, many high school drop outs and people who didn't even go to college... or better yet, never finished college.... these are the ones who are actually employed.

I mean, if I would of known that I'm just going to have a tough time finding a career with my degree... I would of NOT invested and spent all these thousands of dollars for 4 years in college!

Now, I'm unemployed......... AND can't even pay for my student loans!...... I'll be paying that off til I'm in my grave! the way the economy is right now. =(

And DON'T ever think you're the "loser" in your family.... it's NOT your fault.......... that's what we get if we're ran by a screwed up... dirty government and in America.... you're either poor or rich.... "us" middle class citizens... they don't care about us................ we don't even exist and "we" are the ones running and bringing money into this country...............

So, when election comes around.... please vote for OBAMA..... WE do NEED desperate change..... and specially for people who are unemployed... well, WE do need him in that white house =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or