U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:46 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,216,123 times

Advertisements

Hey I am so glad to hear this. How is the job going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post
Well finally found 40 hrs a week, something I thought was impossible. Hope everyone comes through ok, keep fighting something will come through i'm living proof.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM

6,046 posts, read 22,356,732 times
I've been out of work for 7 weeks now and it feels like forever. I quit my job because I moved. I'm in a rural area now and there's just not a lot of jobs out here. I seldom see ads for the typical low paying jobs because there are plenty of folks out here who will take them. I have applications at every agency in my field (social work). I've had one interview so far, and they said they would definitely be calling for a 2nd interview, but at the end of the interview they told me the starting pay and I told them that they would need to come up some for me to consider accepting the position. I haven't earned such a low wage in 6-7 years. In retrospect, it was stupid of me to say anything. I should have held my tongue and not even responded to the salary issue until I'd actually received an offer of employment. I am really kicking myself now.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,691,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I've been out of work for 7 weeks now and it feels like forever. I quit my job because I moved. I'm in a rural area now and there's just not a lot of jobs out here. I seldom see ads for the typical low paying jobs because there are plenty of folks out here who will take them. I have applications at every agency in my field (social work). I've had one interview so far, and they said they would definitely be calling for a 2nd interview, but at the end of the interview they told me the starting pay and I told them that they would need to come up some for me to consider accepting the position. I haven't earned such a low wage in 6-7 years. In retrospect, it was stupid of me to say anything. I should have held my tongue and not even responded to the salary issue until I'd actually received an offer of employment. I am really kicking myself now.
Just curious but how would you respond once they offered you the postion? I was in the same position last week. Got offered a full time position but then they told me the pay rate was $7.65 a hour. I've always made around 11-12 bucks and have ten years experience in social work. I told them I just couldn't work for the pay with my experience and background and was hoping they could raise their offer. Plus I'd be spending about $1.25 a hour to drive there for work. The lady who interviewed me stated she understood and would keep me in mind for another positon that pays higher if it came along in the future (just don't think I'll hear back though). I'm sorry to hear about your situation as I can emphasize. I hope things turn around and you find a good job soon!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,439,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Yeah, isn't it a kick how 'crap' things pay...going backwards in being paid. I made $10 an hour at my last job and this job should have seriously paid $15/hr with the amount of work and responsibility! Now I see jobs that are $8/hr. I mean, what the ???? My husband will tell me 'hold out for a real job' in one breath, then in another say, every day, "I better do SOMETHING."

I am seriously getting stressed and beginning to feel sick about it.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM

941 posts, read 2,135,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
Hello Mr. Man,

I'm so happy you found a fulltime position. I want to wish you the best on your new job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Congrats Mr. Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Hey I am so glad to hear this. How is the job going?
Sorry guys I have'nt been checking here for a bit, thank you so much it's been rough and it will take awhile to get back on track but it's a start. The job won't start until late Nov and the wait is killin me, but if I went this long what's another few weeks.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:49 PM

15 posts, read 14,820 times
No, look at California. Many people are struggling to find a good job here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Hey fierce_flawless - I guess Texas Unemployment must be the worst of all states! Mainly because you cannot go in person to settle or complain about matters! Yeah, it's so hard to get a phone connection to their line! They really have to help people or they'll go homeless!

Ok, maybe I better get PT job applications for Target, Ross, and Starbucks nearby!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 PM

747 posts, read 1,893,586 times
All you people who are employed are so lucky!! I have seen the movie Brave New World, and I need to see the next, another sci-fi classic, Soylent Green, and wonder if this is where the world is headed? There are not enough jobs for evrybody so we might end up eating each other to survive in some great big Darwinian downfall. I know I sound a little kooky here, but it really scares me...I hate being out of a job! I swear I may have to end up living in a job or something!!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,893,586 times
Whoops meant living in a CAVE or something....typo, sorry

Old 11-01-2008, 04:55 AM

15,534 posts, read 27,755,787 times
I feel badly for everyone who is having such a hard time looking for work, recent grads or not. I do think college in general has been oversold as a way into a "good job." I remember in 1971 (when I finished high school) Newsweek ran a cover of a (male) grad in cap and gown, running a jackhammer, with the heading 'The liberal arts glut.' Although I'd also heard that "getting an education" was important, my blue collar mind didn't see how my plowing through philosphy and sociology classes could help me get a job, so I dropped out (just in time for the Nixon recession).
Eventually, I went to a 2-year hospital diploma RN school. The kind that have all closed. Many of my co-workers ("mental health counselors") are in RN school or trying to get in. The community colleges, and there are several in the area, have something like a 7:1 applicant:acceptance ratio. Not that the applicants fail in any way, but there's a shortage of teachers, so only so many students can be accepted.
One "survival" job can be a nursing assistant in a hospital. Hours are flexible (that is, someone has to work off-shifts and weekends) so other job hunting can still happen, plus, most hospitals pay benefits, including health insurance, pro-rated down to 20 hours a week (where I work, it's 16. A lot of people in sales, etc., with no benefits work 16-hour weekends just for the health insurance). Most hospitals will have a four-week or so training class for nursing assistants. Plus, it gives people a chance to look around for a possible 2-year credential that might suit them, and the N.A. experience helps you to get in.
When I dropped out of college with 60 credits in liberal arts, I took federal civil service tests. I started getting calls for interviews some 1 1/2 years later, thanks to a Nixon hiring freeze. Another friend of mine ended up at the FDA at an entry-level job, has worked her way up, gotten a master's in public health courtesy of the feds, and has had a very nice career. I'd strongly suggest federal, state and local civil service tests for recent grads, and the more flexible you are about where you're willing to go for that first job, the better. (You can always try to transfer later).
There are some 3,000 colleges and universities in the U.S., especially since the 'National Defense Student Loan" program started around 1965. "If you fund it, they will come."
I didn't consider a private college because I knew, despite general financial ignorance, that I couldn't afford it. I did get $5K in loans for out-of-state state college, and dropped out because I didn't want to be a waitress or cab driver with more loans than that.
A friend who is 45 and out of work for three years (terrific writer/editor) after Hurricane Katrina just got a great job as a magazine editor. Another friend, equipment sales, was looking for two years at age 55 (even dyed his salt and pepper hair!) He kept that 16 hours at the hospital on weekends for health insurance and tried to pick up a few more shifts here and there (and went through life savings and home equity). He got a great job recently, and still keeps the weekend job for safety and benefits.
I know it's tough out there. Best wishes to all who are looking, and consider looking somewhere you'd usually not consider.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:08 AM

331 posts, read 1,288,505 times
i am going on my 10th week without a job. I have applied anywhere, and everywhere. It's getting really frustrating when you cannot even get a call from McDonald's. Temp agencies are no help nowadays either. The temp agencies are not like they used to be where you could walk in, fill out the necessary paperwork, and have a job within a few days. Now, you have to be a 'fit' for a position. Even with the experience, i keep getting told i am not a 'fit' Plus they want you to interview with the company before they send you to an assignment. Why not just cut the middleman and go straight to the company then? It's just getting absolutely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or